OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 12:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: no more religion stuff for me  (Read 6197 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: November 10, 2004, 01:08:25 AM »

I just can't do this anymore.  I'm not cut out for this religiousy stuff.  

You guys were all right about me.  I'm a flaky troublemaker, bossy, prideful, you name it, I'm it.  

So why play the church 'game' anymore?  

I'm not going to try to be something I can never be anymore.  It just causes me pain.  

So I'm not converting to anything.  It's minimalist RC for me.  Show up for sunday evening Mass at the psalms and cut out after communion.  Perfect, no mortal sin and no thinking about religion.  

Thanks for bearing with me.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 01:34:35 AM »

Jennifer,

People usually point things out because they are concerned. Please, do what you think you need to do to be happy, but if you feel unfulfilled, Orthodoxy will be waiting for you.

I am sure many people can vouch that Orthodoxy has changed them.  It can change you, too--but only if you are ready. And only you know yourself so maybe a hiatus from online religion is what you need.

In Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 01:39:54 AM »

You guys were all right about me.  I'm a flaky troublemaker, bossy, prideful, you name it, I'm it.

I now we are  Cheesy LOL, just pulling your leg there...

So I'm not converting to anything.  It's minimalist RC for me.  Show up for sunday evening Mass at the psalms and cut out after communion.  Perfect, no mortal sin and no thinking about religion.  

Why don't you just take communion at both places & see which one works the best for you Cool That's what I did for a few years lol, I know the big theologians on the forum here will come down on me for this lol,  but sometimes there are no answers to hard questions. I went through the same thing you did for quite some time  & do what your heart tells you instead of your reasoning or what others tell you what you need to do. Give Orthodoxy a fair chance because obviously God is tugging at your heart else you wouldn't be going through what you are now. Good luck!!!

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 03:15:58 AM »

I hope you'll rethink.  It's like St. Paul said, "This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on him for everlasting life."  I used to struggle a lot with the type of thing you're talking about, until I thought, do I imagine that I've beaten God?  Do I think that I've sinned enough that He's no longer able to forgive me?  This was really significant for me, because I realized that until then I had half-consciously been thinking that God was forgiving me because my sins weren't really all that bad.  It sounds like you've lost your confidence in yourself, which is a good thing, but only if it's the foundation of gaining confidence in God.  Once you openly admit that you don't have a lot going for you, and you're just looking to God to save you, there's not much of a "game" to be played anymore, in the Church or anywhere else.
I'm sorry if I've been a bit nosy or presumptuous; I know I don't really know that much about you, but I definitely wish you the best.

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 06:28:53 AM »

I'm not going to try to be something I can never be anymore.  It just causes me pain.  

Wow...if you're still online here, what brought about that sudden change of heart?  

I'm sorry that the attempt to "'dox" has hurt so bad.  Lots of us can relate, myself included.  I went through a period (however brief) where I not only questioned the denomination I'd been brought up in, but also Christianity as a whole...basically because throwing it all out would be easier than trying to deal with which confession to go to, if any, as it wasn't an obvious choice for a good long while.

I mention that because, in spite of the "no more religious stuff" that you posted, there's still something in you, I think, that longs for God...otherwise, why would you continue to go to Mass of any kind?  You're not considering "throwing it all out" like I did, so maybe there's something inside that's still longing, but scared or hurt or I don't know what.

Maybe there's someone you can talk to about how you're feeling right now?  Someone who won't get all "religiousy" on you?  Hope so.  God bless, Jennifer, and prayers for ya'.

Pedro

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 09:08:53 AM »

I am with you 100% on this, Jennifer.

Christ was not about "religion". Christ came to do away with "religion". All churches with their man made rules are all ABOUT "religion"

Just follow Christ. He is in your heart through your prayers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:11:47 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:35:36 AM »

Relax.  Take a deep breath.  And then do what seems to make sense.  If that means backing off for a bit, then do that.  I myself realized a few years ago that I was also not cut out for the "ueber" religion crowd, and that trying to be that was actually burning me out.  So I stepped back for a bit to get my bearings, and when I returned it was with more balance, and felt more natural for me.

So are we all!   Wink

Yes, I have been exactly there, Jennifer.  For me, the key was realizing that I didn't have to be something I was not, but that I should just be me, or rather the person I was meant to be ... which may be different from the person I was trying to be.  Getting there for me meant stepping back for a bit to get some perspectives on both myself and my own faith ... away from the books and the theologies and the dogmatic controversies and the religious folk who talk about religion all the time.  I would encourage you to take heart in this process .. it isn't easy, but it is rewarding, wherever it leads.

It's minimalist RC for me.  Show up for sunday evening Mass at the psalms and cut out after communion.  Perfect, no mortal sin and no thinking about religion.  

You may want to try doing what makes sense for a while, and trying to resist the urge -- which can be powerful at times -- to make snap decisions about anything related to this.  Please understand that I am not saying this because I would like you to be Orthodox.  I honestly don't think that the end-game (RC, EC, EO, whatever) is the critical point, it is the *process* that is critical, and, above all else, it is a process of self-discovery ... and a part of that is being able to step back and take a break from things, and do what seems to make sense, when things get overwhelming.  I wish you the best, whatever your choices may be.

B
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:42:00 AM by Brendan03 » Logged

B
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 10:46:20 AM »

I guess I think why do all the work (church, fasting, prayer, all that) just to end up some self-righteous religious person?  

I'm angry and hurt right now.  That's what brought this about.  I'm angry because the administrator on the Steve Ray forum is spreading lies about me and there's nothing I can because she's the administrator.  She's also publically chastised me for my many shortcomings.  I'm angry because on the byzcath forum I was lectured about how I don't know anything about Catholicism and have no charity in my heart.  

I am NOT a good person.  I fully confess to that.  But I have never said to someone that they don't have faith.  I may tell someone they're ignorant (because well, I think some people are ignorant) but I don't tell people they don't have faith.  

But I'm sure I'm the bad one.  I don't say my prayers every day.  I don't go to Mass all the time.  I don't fast, whatever it is, I don't do it but I'm sure they do.  

But why do it, if you just end up like that?  
And yes, I'm being judgmental.  Another one of my faults.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 11:06:39 AM »

But I'm sure I'm the bad one.  I don't say my prayers every day.  I don't go to Mass all the time.  I don't fast, whatever it is, I don't do it but I'm sure they do.  

It has always been my experience that such people exemplify the Pharisee as opposed to the Publican.  

"Look at me!  I fast!  I go to Mass every day!  I spend four hours a day on my knees praying!  And look at you!  You can't even get the basics right!  What's wrong with you?  You suck!  You should be more like me!"

I think you know what Christ had to say about such people...

The fact that you are here publically admitting your faults and weaknesses, and sincerely, I might add, puts you more on par with the Publican than with the Pharisees who run certain boards.  

And we know what Christ had to say about the Publican.

Brendan makes a very good point regarding the importance of the process.  That's what theosis is all about...the process.  Don't let the internet naysayers get you down.  If they were serious in their own theosis, they would not even see your faults (or mine or anyone else's) but be blinded by their own.  

I think a hiatus from "teh intarweb" might be a good thing.  All of us should do it from time to time.

May God bless you on your journey, Jennifer.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
icxn
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 11:41:47 AM »

...I'm a flaky troublemaker, bossy, prideful, you name it, I'm it... and have no charity in my heart... I am NOT a good person.  I fully confess to that... But I'm sure I'm the bad one.  I don't say my prayers every day.  I don't go to Mass all the time.  I don't fast, whatever it is, I don't do it but I'm sure they do... And yes, I'm being judgmental.  Another one of my faults.

Sounds like me... are you sure it is yourself that you are describing there my dear lady?  Smiley

icxn

It was said concerning Abba Agathon that some monks came to find him having heard tell of his great discernment. Wanting to see if he would lose his temper they said to him 'Aren't you that Agathon who is said to be a fornicator and a proud man?' 'Yes, it is very true,' he answered. They resumed, 'Aren't you that Agothon who is always talking nonsense?' 'I am." Again they said 'Aren't you Agothon the heretic?' But at that he replied 'I am not a heretic.' So they asked him, 'Tell us why you accepted everything we cast you, but repudiated this last insult.' He replied 'The first accusations I take to myself for that is good for my soul. But heresy is separation from God. Now I have no wish to be separated from God.' At this saying they were astonished at his discernment and returned, edified. - Desert Fathers
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 11:58:47 AM by icxn » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 11:42:17 AM »

I guess I think why do all the work (church, fasting, prayer, all that) just to end up some self-righteous religious person?  

I'm angry and hurt right now.  That's what brought this about.  I'm angry because the administrator on the Steve Ray forum is spreading lies about me and there's nothing I can because she's the administrator.  She's also publically chastised me for my many shortcomings.  I'm angry because on the byzcath forum I was lectured about how I don't know anything about Catholicism and have no charity in my heart.  

I am NOT a good person.  I fully confess to that.  But I have never said to someone that they don't have faith.  I may tell someone they're ignorant (because well, I think some people are ignorant) but I don't tell people they don't have faith.  

I'm sorry about what is going on.  You are not necessarily the "bad" one.  It is usually a mixture.  Realizing that you're not a "good" person is probably the best thing you can do.  People who think they are "good" don't need God.  Those who know they are not "good" know they need God.  I think these people are often the ones who are most capable of reaching out to all people, no matter how "bad" they are, because we know that God wants to help people, especially the "bad".  I'm far from being good--I have the same struggles that you have.  It seems like I often confess not keeping up with my prayer rule and the daily scripture readings, but the worse sins are the gossip, the judging, the pride, always thinking I'm right, being so critical of other people, etc.  But God forgives and gives me strength to keep struggling, no matter how much I fall.  Remember Jesus said in Luke 7:47 that those who have been forgiven much love much.  They know that God has forgiven them for so much and for so many bad things and they didn't deserve it.  They realize what God did for them.  

You don't have to end up being self-righteous (which is another sin I have to confess a lot) and judgmental.  In fact, a good priest will help you to get over that.  

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 12:55:07 PM »

My priest likes to mention folks like that in some of his homilies -- someone can do a lot in terms of attendance, fasting, blah blah blah...but still basically become more and more a jerk.  Basically the idea was that the person used religion to hide from the sin in his life instead of what it's actually there for: to open us up to face our sin and turn to Christ so He can heal us.

Because you don't have to end up like that.

Peace.

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 02:45:05 PM »

True.  That's the greatest temptation when engaged in spiritual practice ... it's a form of vanity, I think.  One of the keys to me in this is trying to balance things out and trying to cultivate a kind of spiritual humility.  It's not easy, I agree.  

angry because the administrator on the Steve Ray forum is spreading lies about me and there's nothing I can because she's the administrator.  She's also publically chastised me for my many shortcomings.  I'm angry because on the byzcath forum I was lectured about how I don't know anything about Catholicism and have no charity in my heart.

That's very unfortunate.  It's okay to be angry, however.  The critical thing is what to do with your anger.

It's true that there are religious hypocrites in the world.  They made Christ Himself very angry because He knew that they also would lead others away from Him in the process.  The good news is that while all people, including the religious ones, are flawed and sinful, not all of them are hypocrites.  

I wouldn't be so down on yourself, if I were you.  These are difficult things to deal with, and the reality is that everyone's own spiritual life is, in a very real sense, a very personal thing.  That personal nature of your own spiritual life has been violated somewhat by folks who don't know you, and that is a very difficult thing to deal with.  You might want to consider just hanging on spiritually for a while until things calm down for you in this area somewhat.  Let the anger come ... and let it eventually go, as it will at some point, and hang on spiritually.  Listen to what is in your own heart, and not the words of folks who are attacking you without knowing you.

B

B
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »

I am with you 100% on this, Jennifer.

Christ was not about "religion". Christ came to do away with "religion". All churches with their man made rules are all ABOUT "religion"

Just follow Christ. He is in your heart through your prayers.

Sentiments like this don't help.  Without the Church, we don't know who Christ is. The Church is Christ's body. What you are saying is, "follow the idea about Christ, don't join his body" which is convenient as you can make Christ into the personalistic idea you want him to be, and since you have made yourself your own Pope, all you have to do is "pray" and he will "lead you"---lead you right where you want him to since he is only now an idea floating around in your head. Sorry to be harsh, but you are denying Christ by denying the Church.

Religiosity and false interest in externals of religion are dangerous, but that is a separate issue from THE CHURCH.  Tom, why can't you answer a question or point without going to the total OPPOSITE extreme?  Orthodoxy is about balance in life. Finding the right place. Finding the right way. Not bouncing from one extreme to another.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 03:14:02 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 03:13:30 PM »

Thanks for that post, anastasios. I tire of jumping on almost everything TomΣ posts lately.  Wink

Demetri
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 03:15:25 PM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 04:54:23 PM »

NO, YOU'RE SUPPOSTED TO BE A FERVENT CATHOLIC!! SAY NO TO CAFETERIA CATHOLICISM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:55:28 PM by CatholicEagle » Logged
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:17:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for bearing with me during my little 'bout' of anger.  

I think what I wanted was for Byzantine Catholicism to be what I wanted it to be, someplace where I could stay in communion with Rome and ignore papal supremacy and infallibility.  

This created a lot of tension for me as I have a hard time with ambiguity.  I think that it's not possible for me to be in communion with Rome and pretend the papal dogmas don't exist.  

So I'm left with what I see as two options:  either believe what Rome teaches about the papacy or convert to Orthodoxy.  

I suppose my heart wants me to believe tht Rome is right because I was born and raised a Catholic.  It's like my family.  It breaks my heart to walk away from it.  

However, at this point, I don't believe what Rome teaches so I will start the conversion process.  

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for bearing with me during my little 'bout' of anger. However, at this point, I don't believe what Rome teaches so I will start the conversion process.

Prayers for ya'.   Smiley

MatthewPanchisin

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 08:01:44 PM »

Dear Jennifer,

God be with you always.

In Christ,

Matthew Panchisin
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 09:41:23 PM »

Well, if the issue is between which church is more "right", then I would agree that it is definitely the Orthodox Church.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant, guide them and strengthen them.  Amen.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant, guide them and strengthen them.  Amen.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »

I wish Jennifer would stop by again. I was such an incredibly huge jerk to her, more than once.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »

Well, it definitely sounds like she took the "easy" road. She definitely got the wrong impression about Orthodoxy.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 07:05:43 AM »

Well, it definitely sounds like she took the "easy" road. She definitely got the wrong impression about Orthodoxy.
What gives you that impression?
However, at this point, I don't believe what Rome teaches so I will start the conversion process. 
Jennifer joined the OCA.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »

Dear Jennifer:

As a Byzantine Catholic I am struggling with the exact same issues you mention. For me, I know which way I am leaning and am incredibly frightened by the personal implications - impact on my family, life, etc.. I don't know your personal situation being somewhat new to this forum but I recently read something similar to the following in the Evergetinos:

It was said concerning Abba Agathon that some monks came to find him, having heard tell of his great discernment. Wanting to see if he would lose his temper, they said to him, “Aren’t you that Agathon who is said to be a fornicator and a proud man?” “Yes, it is very true,” he answered. They resumed, “Aren’t you that Agathon who is always talking nonsense?” “I am.” Again they said, “Aren’t you Agathon the heretic?” But at that, he replied, “I am not a heretic.” So they asked him, “Tell us why you accepted everything we cast you, but repudiated this last insult.” He replied, “The first accusations I take to myself, for that is good for my soul. But heresy is separation from God. Now I have no wish to be separated from God.” At this saying they were astonished at his discernment and returned, edified.

Perhaps in your situation with this Ray person you mention, just ignore him/her. No group has a corner on the Pharisee concession. When our Lord was being accused of much by the Pharisees and Sanhedrin before Pilate, he stood silent. You must be a good person if despite your frustrations you are not giving up on God completely. I believe God is standing with you during this turbulent time.

You are in my poor prayers.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Mivac

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »

Jennifer, I am fairly certain no one is perfect in their prayer life, fasting, etc, etc.   I know I am far from being perfect even as I try to strive forward.

To be honest it sounds like the best thing that anyone could do for you, even though I don't know you personally is to give you a great big Long *Hug* and say "I love you" no matter where you are at inside.   
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »

this thread is 6 years old. i wonder if the OP is even still here.

Proverbs 22:7
Mivac

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

LOL.  I didn't check the date.

Doesn't matter,  the Lord may have a purpose for bring this old thread back to life.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »

Doesn't matter,  the Lord may have a purpose for bring this old thread back to life.

If the Lord is actually trevor72694, then possibly.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »

Ah I didn't catch her second post.  I just read her OP and trevor's post.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »

Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

LMBO!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »

Evidently not:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9434.msg126785.html#msg126785

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mivac

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »

Pray tell, why would you think the Lord would not work through trevor to bring back this thread?  Does the Lord or doesn't the Lord act in ways mysterious through people for a greater purpose?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »

Pray tell, why would you think the Lord would not work through trevor to bring back this thread?  Does the Lord or doesn't the Lord act in ways mysterious through people for a greater purpose?
BL has a rather hazy view of the Lord, and how He operates.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

God worked through the mailman to bring me my mail, right after he was done working through a squirrel who came to my back porch, but not before he worked through someone browsing old posts on a message board so that he could resurrect a 5 year old thread which has benefited no one.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »

LOL.  I didn't check the date.

Doesn't matter,  the Lord may have a purpose for bring this old thread back to life.

Pray tell, why would you think the Lord would not work through trevor to bring back this thread?  Does the Lord or doesn't the Lord act in ways mysterious through people for a greater purpose?

God worked through the mailman to bring me my mail, right after he was done working through a squirrel who came to my back porch, but not before he worked through someone browsing old posts on a message board so that he could resurrect a 5 year old thread which has benefited no one.
Your omniscience never ceases to amaze me: so you know all 2008 persons who have viewed this, and know that none benefited?

Today we had a Sister of Mercy visit us from Byelorus, who said that she only started to go to Church when she went to university, because she felt compeled by the memory as a toddler of her grandmother (the only believer in her family growing up) teaching her the Our Father.  One sows, another reaps, but the increase is given by God.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:04:38 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: