OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons and all that good stuff.....  (Read 1453 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: January 02, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »

Hello, friends.  I read someone talk of an Icon table.  I have three icons.  Our Lord, The Theotokos of Vladimir, and an icon of St. Tikhon of Moscow (my patron) with scenes from his life.  are there any other icons that most Orthodox have?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »

Must have?  Not really.  But for most Orthodox Christians, I think that they have one of Christ, one of the Theotokos and one of their patron saint(s).  The amount is really a subjective detail.  At the same time, remember that St. Seraphim of Sarov (whom we commemorate today) spent his life in the wilderness with only an icon of the Theotokos.  I'm sure that many of the desert fathers and hermits also didn't have icons.  It's not how many, but how you use what you have to enlighten your prayer life.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »

Hello, friends.  I read someone talk of an Icon table.  I have three icons.  Our Lord, The Theotokos of Vladimir, and an icon of St. Tikhon of Moscow (my patron) with scenes from his life.  are there any other icons that most Orthodox have?

Because of our affluence here in America many of us have quite a lot of icons. From my very limited personal experience most of the Orthodox Christians I know have an icon of St Seraphim of Sarov. Of course most of the people I know belong to an OCA parish.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:02:09 AM »

Because of our affluence here in America many of us have quite a lot of icons. From my very limited personal experience most of the Orthodox Christians I know have an icon of St Seraphim of Sarov. Of course most of the people I know belong to an OCA parish.

Yours in Christ
Joe

you know, I have heard about St. Seraphim of Sarov a lot.  why is he so special?  and, I keep wondering if my parish is an OCA parish, here is their website:       http://www.orthodoxpueblo.org/index.html 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:07:44 AM »

I keep wondering if my parish is an OCA parish, here is their website:       http://www.orthodoxpueblo.org/index.html

Yes, your jurisdiction is the OCA (Orthodox Church in America).  Look at the upper right corner of the website.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »

I keep wondering if my parish is an OCA parish, here is their website:       http://www.orthodoxpueblo.org/index.html

Yes, your jurisdiction is the OCA (Orthodox Church in America).  Look at the upper right corner of the website.

I see!  how interesting!  all I know is that when my church was recieved into the Orthodox church, it was Serbian/Russian.  Guess I'd better change the info on my profile!

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »

Your church is beautiful!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:51 AM »

Your church is beautiful!

thank you!  I must agree...it's far more beautiful that any of the other churches I have ever been to.   

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:18:03 AM »

As noted, due to print-making technology, modern Orthodox, especially in America but also just in general, tend to have a lot more icons than Orthodox of former centuries--when every icon had to be hand-painted--did.

Generally, the minimum is one of Christ, one of the Theotokos, and one of the patron saint for each member of the family. After that, people tend to add icons for those saints they feel particularly close to.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:45:22 AM »

you know, I have heard about St. Seraphim of Sarov a lot.  why is he so special? 

Read his life and you will know. Many Orthodox Christians hold him very dear. He was known for his love, humility, and being a very holy man. He truly lived up to his name being like an angel here on earth.
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »

The icon if St. James to remind you that we are not saved by faith alone. Smiley laugh

I guess it always depends on your jurisdiction. Most Greeks have an icon of St. George and St. Nicolas, for example.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

Trevor, your church is almost identical to mine in appearance!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »

Trevor I would suggest icon of St. Michael since he is the patron of your parish

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »

If you are American, maybe an icon of All Saints of [North] America:

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »

you know, I have heard about St. Seraphim of Sarov a lot.  why is he so special?  and, I keep wondering if my parish is an OCA parish, here is their website:       http://www.orthodoxpueblo.org/index.html 

"You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the face of him who receives.

All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other. We condemn others only because we shun knowing ourselves. When we gaze at our own failings, we see such a swamp that nothing in another can equal it. That is why we turn away, and make much of the faults of others.

Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace. Keep silent, refrain from judgement. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult, and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil"

St Seraphim of Sarov

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: