OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe that we are in the "end times"?  (Read 1782 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: June 09, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

I have done a ton of research on this subject, and I assume many of you have as well.   I'd be curious to know if some of you believe the 2nd coming of our Lord will come soon, is imminent, or many years down the road etc.

Also I'd be curious if you could say why you think the way you do on the subject.

I'm trying to formulate an opinion on the matter (I go back and forth), and there is a lot of "stuff" out there.  Would be curious of the opinion of those on the forum here.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »

I'm pretty convinced once we have World War III, then it's pretty close to the end.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »

I don't know. People used to think that the end times would come when the Roman Empire fell or when Constantinople fell or during the Dark Ages but it did not come. Sure times are bad in the world and the United States is probably going to go down the crapper very soon, but I doubt that it will be the end.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »

Actually let me correct that statement, when WWIII happens, we better hope it is the end times.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »

No.  I've seen too many cases of people predicting "the End" or showing how it's immanent and this sort of thing has been going on for centuries.  In many cases people "see" what they want to see even it it doesn't have any basis in reality.

The Second Coming will be when it happens and no one will know when it is the time. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

I personally believe that if there happened to be a day when people believed the world would end, or believed that on that day Christ would have His Second Coming, that would no longer be the day. Perhaps, rather, it would not be possible to predict such a day. The Lord tells us that the world will end at a time when none of us quite suspect it. The Truth will be revealed to us, but it impossible for us to anticipate when this will occur. Therefore, popular theories like the one concerning the world ending near the close of this year are those which I generally disregard (although 2012 I disregard for several other reasons). The Lord has a plan for us, and we should always act as Christians, whether the end is near, or very far off  Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »

Though Christ tells us that no one but the Father knows and that the 2nd Coming will be like unto a thief in the night.  However, St. Paul tells that though we know not, there will be signs.  Apostasy, for one, is a sign.  The Son of Perdition (Antichrist) will be another.  Personally, I believe that we are in the end times but as Fr. Peter Gillquist likes to say, "I stopped being on the planning committee and am now on the welcoming committee."  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HouseOfGod

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »

I don't know. People used to think that the end times would come when the Roman Empire fell or when Constantinople fell or during the Dark Ages but it did not come. Sure times are bad in the world and the United States is probably going to go down the crapper very soon, but I doubt that it will be the end.
Oh, don't say that about the United States. There are some in a very much more grave position than we, and we should thank God for the opportunities that we as Americans are blessed with every single day. Smiley

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »

Fr. Peter Gillquist likes to say, "I stopped being on the planning committee and am now on the welcoming committee."  
Hahaha awesome

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HouseOfGod

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

Fr. Peter Gillquist likes to say, "I stopped being on the planning committee and am now on the welcoming committee."  
Hahaha awesome
I totally agree Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 11:41:12 PM »

Someone- possibly Fr. Hopko- said we have been in the last times since Christ was crucified. He could come at any time; that said, although we should always prepare, we should also take care not to drive ourselves into a tizzy with every single news event. Pray and live out the faith; be ready, but don't be paranoid.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »

We have been in the "end-times" since Christ our God ascended into heaven.

In fact, the Icon of the Ascension is also the Icon of the Second Coming.

Early Christians awaited His Second Glorious Coming. Would that we all would be prepared.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:43:59 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »

People have been thinking that the end is imminent for the last 2,000 years. Personally, does it matter? The end of the world could indeed be imminent. Maybe within the next 10 years, but one could die tomorrow. Worrying about the end of the world shouldn't be the main concern. Concerning ourselves with the end of our lives and preparing for that is a lot more important.
HouseOfGod

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »

Someone- possibly Fr. Hopko- said we have been in the last times since Christ was crucified. He could come at any time; that said, although we should always prepare, we should also take care not to drive ourselves into a tizzy with every single news event. Pray and live out the faith; be ready, but don't be paranoid.
Amen

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »

Christ will come when Christ comes; all the signs He gave could apply to literally any time, and I think that was quite intentional.  Busy yourself with salvation, not with the world's affairs.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 12:06:33 AM »

How about certain "signs".   Such as Chernobyl which directly translates into "wormwood" that was destroyed by a star (nuclear energy)?   Some consider it a sign anyway...

I'm curious if people see signs in the world today, that either were not distinct or clear in history.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »

How about certain "signs".   Such as Chernobyl which directly translates into "wormwood" that was destroyed by a star (nuclear energy)?   Some consider it a sign anyway...

I'm curious if people see signs in the world today, that either were not distinct or clear in history.

Until someone can tell me a clear sign BEFORE it happens, I will put as much faith in such signs as I have in Nostradamus.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »

Until someone can tell me a clear sign BEFORE it happens, I will put as much faith in such signs as I have in Nostradamus.

Dunno if that is fair.  Consider "he was bruised for our iniquity, he was crushed for our transgressions" - its considered a prophecy, but not entirely clear.  Prophecy is often unclear.  Of course, this did not specify the actual acts that happened.   They could have beat him to death with sticks or stoned him, and this particular prophecy would apply...

I'd personally consider wormwood/Chernobyl to be pretty "clear" at least on a prophecy standard.

Of course, I could be wrong so I'm not speaking in absolutes or anything.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »

What I'm going to say next might be on the verge of political discussion and therefore prohibited in this forum, so if it violates any rules go right ahead and edit this post. But, doesn't Revelation predict that God's people (Israel) will be restored? Many Protestants think that the establishment of Israel the Nation in 1947 fulfilled this prophecy; but I have a different theory.

The Jews are no longer a part of God's covenant; the Church has become the new Israel and the Orthodox Christians the new Jews. Many Palestinians were Orthodox Christians and therefore God's new chosen people, and they were driven out of their land by Jews when Israel the Nation was established. So when Revelation said that God's people/the true Israel would be restored, is it possible that it could mean that the Christian Palestinians will finally regain back their land over Israel the Nation and win the conflict?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:16:52 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »

See: Cairo, Egypt (1904 c.e.)

Oh it's on, you can beleeb-dat.

Kiss

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:03 AM »

I find it harder and harder to imagine an "end-times" a la Bible.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »

That passage is Revelation 8:10-11
"10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter."

How does this fit with your interpretation please? 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »

"10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter."

Ebor

That sounds more like a meteorite if you ask me.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

Ebor

This is referring to the tunnels of Set and the discovery of the Maat-current by Fr. Achad and later, Kenneth Grant. A vomiting of the qlippoth up from the nightside of eden.

IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »

Many throughout history have seen these so called "signs" .  For example the MP Church Council held in 1666.  Get it 666.
It is a waste of time to speculate.  Only God knows the date.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

It may just be my 38 years as a protestant talking before becoming Orthodox, but I honestly do believe we are in the End Times or right on the edge.  I really didn’t think we would make it this far.  I did A LOT of study on this stuff as a Baptist and there are just too many things to ignore.  However, having said all this, I love, love, love the Orthodox approach.  No one cares!  My priest explained it to me this way.  If we all are living the way we should, what difference does it make?  Kind of puts things into proper perspective.  There is far too much about End Times ideas and possibilities to talk about it on a forum, but I say live each day as if the end were tomorrow. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

Well ontologically blabby blah boo blah blah blah.

But ontically gibbety doo rah rah rah.

If you get my point.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »

Ebor

Maybe. and that's without working (forcing?) in an interpretation of "star" equating with "nuclear energy".  How that applies to what happened at Chernobyl doesn't seem to me to apply.  Here is the description from the Wiki article:

"There was a sudden power output surge, and when an emergency shutdown was attempted, a more extreme spike in power output occurred, which led to a reactor vessel rupture and a series of explosions. These events exposed the graphite moderator of the reactor to air, causing it to ignite.[3] The resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive smoke fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area, including Pripyat." 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

A vessel rupture and explosions from that is not the same as a nuclear bomb being set off.  Radioactivity was released because of the materials in the reactor. 

And then there's the second verse about the water which I don't follow how the disaster near Pripyat applies in any form.

Ebor

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »

It may just be my 38 years as a protestant talking before becoming Orthodox, but I honestly do believe we are in the End Times or right on the edge.  I really didn’t think we would make it this far.  I did A LOT of study on this stuff as a Baptist and there are just too many things to ignore.

People have been saying just this since before Christ was born.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »

If you get my point.

Yeah!  Wink

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »

It is possible that more than one thing could fulfill any given sign.

HouseOfGod

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »

If you get my point.
A rather spectacular way of putting it!  Cheesy

HouseOfGod

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38:05 AM »

As it was mentioned before, it was likely intentional that this would be the case.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 12:39:38 AM »

As it was mentioned before, it was likely intentional that this would be the case.

It even has a name and happens all the time: polysemy.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »

we have the power to end the world. kind of a scary realization isn't it?
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »

If you get my point.

Sounds just like you!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:01:16 AM by Babalon » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 03:01:20 AM »

If you get my point.

Sounds just like you!

I do the best me.

Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 03:04:37 AM »

If you get my point.

Sounds just like you!

I do the best me.
That's why your still single.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »

If you get my point.

Sounds just like you!

I do the best me.
That's why your still single.

NICE! Wondered which perv would get the double entendre first. *Checks forum* Literally used to have a bumper sticker for my bed. It read:

I'd rather be

Oh maybe another time.

Cheers!

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

Ebor

Maybe. and that's without working (forcing?) in an interpretation of "star" equating with "nuclear energy".  How that applies to what happened at Chernobyl doesn't seem to me to apply.  Here is the description from the Wiki article:

"There was a sudden power output surge, and when an emergency shutdown was attempted, a more extreme spike in power output occurred, which led to a reactor vessel rupture and a series of explosions. These events exposed the graphite moderator of the reactor to air, causing it to ignite.[3] The resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive smoke fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area, including Pripyat." 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

A vessel rupture and explosions from that is not the same as a nuclear bomb being set off.  Radioactivity was released because of the materials in the reactor. 

And then there's the second verse about the water which I don't follow how the disaster near Pripyat applies in any form.

Ebor

Chernobyl was not a star.  Fission vs Fusion.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

Precisely, Vamrat.  That's why saying that it must be a "sign" from Revelation is forcing the idea of "star" onto the situation.  I thought about bringing up the fission/fusion difference but didn't.

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

Dear yeshuaisiam,

I'm pretty confident that my personal end is coming in the next sixty years or less and I'd best get ready for that.

love, elephant
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

Hi there !

Let's say I am divided.

On the one hand, especially in war times, many thought that the end was near (especially in religious conflicts (inside Christianity, especially the protestant/catholic Thirty Years War)

But on the other hand, when I take a look at the current world situation...

In Christ,
WM
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

Yes. I mean, I am generally skeptical about end-time predictions. And I hate doom n' gloom. But the other day a guy high on bathsalts ate the face off of a live homeless man under a bridge in Miami. The next day, a video of a Montreal gay porn star snuffing a Chinese exchange student was apparently available on some gore website after the victim's hands and feet were received via postal service at different locations (including the Canadian House of Parliament). The creativity and originality of evil things people can do to one another (and animals) seems to have peaked... at least, I hope so.

In other news, the entire financial system seems to be teetering near collapse, channeled aliens are all the rage, and the polar ice is melting faster than previously thought.

And the oceans are almost out of fish.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »

Yes. I mean, I am generally skeptical about end-time predictions. And I hate doom n' gloom. But the other day a guy high on bathsalts ate the face off of a live homeless man under a bridge in Miami. The next day, a video of a Montreal gay porn star snuffing a Chinese exchange student was apparently available on some gore website after the victim's hands and feet were received via postal service at different locations (including the Canadian House of Parliament). The creativity and originality of evil things people can do to one another (and animals) seems to have peaked... at least, I hope so.

In other news, the entire financial system seems to be teetering near collapse, channeled aliens are all the rage, and the polar ice is melting faster than previously thought.

And the oceans are almost out of fish.

And, unfortunately, much more...
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: