OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage and Death!!!  (Read 1685 times) Average Rating: 0
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« on: May 06, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »

Christ is Risen! Truly, He is Risen!

Does death end marriage in the Orthodox tradition? Or marriage is eternal?

In Christ,
SBDK
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »

I've often heard marriage and death equated.   Wink
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Marriage is eternal, but things are different.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »

How do you translate Marriage is Eternal after death?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:50:55 AM »

I still don't get how this doesn't go against Christ's whole bit about no one being given in marriage at the resurrection.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »

I still don't get how this doesn't go against Christ's whole bit about no one being given in marriage at the resurrection.
What if instead of removing the bonds, Christ meant that everyone wound be bonded through Him?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »

I've often heard marriage and death equated.   Wink
My step father used to refer to weddings as vertical funerals.

I've often said my ex-wife has knocked at least a decade off my life, that that's just her.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

This is an issue on which two perfectly Orthodox people can legitimately disagree.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Whatever your conclusion - be sure that marriage helps to reach heaven so maybe focus on the little time you have it here and leave the rest to God.
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »

John Meyendorff in his book "Marriage An Orthodox Perspective" wrote:

"Christian marriage is not only an earthly sexual union, but an eternal bond which will continue when our bodies will be "spiritual" and Christ will be "all in all."
pp. 15

Any comments or an explanation to the above text?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:24:47 PM by kelfar » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

There is no marriage in the next, eternal life like we know it today. There may be some kind of relationship, but it will be quite different. The Church allows remarriage after the death of a spouse (to a point). If the Church viewed the bond as something eternal, it would absolutely not allow remarriage since that would be polygamy/polyandry.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

This is an issue on which two perfectly Orthodox people can legitimately disagree.

Only to a point. If a person says that there is sexual intercourse in heaven, he hops on the train to Heresyville.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »

"Christian marriage is not only an earthly sexual union, but an eternal bond which will continue when our bodies will be "spiritual" and Christ will be "all in all."
pp. 15

Not to be taken dogmatically.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

There is no marriage in the next, eternal life like we know it today. There may be some kind of relationship, but it will be quite different. The Church allows remarriage after the death of a spouse (to a point). If the Church viewed the bond as something eternal, it would absolutely not allow remarriage since that would be polygamy/polyandry.

Actually St. Basil - in one of the canonical letters which is the actual canonical basis of allowing 2nd and 3rd marriages - says just that. That it's a concession to human weakness, but it's still polygamy.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

Actually St. Basil - in one of the canonical letters which is the actual canonical basis of allowing 2nd and 3rd marriages - says just that. That it's a concession to human weakness, but it's still polygamy.

But why? Because the marriage bond absolutely cannot be dissolved with death (and what does that mean?), or because a person has still been married multiple times?

witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

But why? Because the marriage bond absolutely cannot be dissolved with death (and what does that mean?), or because a person has still been married multiple times?

I don't know. He doesn't really get into the underlying thinking/theology of marriage in the canonical letters. I'm just pointing out that for St. Basil apparently that allowing remarriage was a form of allowing polygamy.

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Because the two become ONE flesh.  Just as Christ and His Church are ONE.  When both die and reach the final Salvation, they will become one with Christ, and there will be no man nor woman nor husband or wife.  But while one remains alive, the marriage bond remains.  That is why additional marriage is not only polygamy, but also in some cases adultery.  The Church's tolerence is due to our weakness.  At lest this is how it was explained to me, and what I have come to believe.

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

I don't know. He doesn't really get into the underlying thinking/theology of marriage in the canonical letters. I'm just pointing out that for St. Basil apparently that allowing remarriage was a form of allowing polygamy.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »

Because the two become ONE flesh.  Just as Christ and His Church are ONE.  When both die and reach the final Salvation, they will become one with Christ, and there will be no man nor woman nor husband or wife.  But while one remains alive, the marriage bond remains.  That is why additional marriage is not only polygamy, but also in some cases adultery.  The Church's tolerence is due to our weakness.  At lest this is how it was explained to me, and what I have come to believe.

Are you saying that we loose our individuality almost in a Buddhist sense?  I've never thought of it that way.  Food for thought. 
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »

Are you saying that we loose our individuality almost in a Buddhist sense?  I've never thought of it that way.  Food for thought. 

I have always understood it that we keep our individuality just as a lung remains a lung and a liver remains a liver.  We are just part of one body.  But I never really delved into the matter that deeply.

witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »

That's essentially my understanding as well. But since I had just cited St. Basil I wanted to be clear that that explanation is not explicitly found in him--just the consequences.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Only to a point. If a person says that there is sexual intercourse in heaven, he hops on the train to Heresyville.

Of course, of course.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

Then why does the Church offer no economia, no concession, to polygamists who convert to Orthodoxy?

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

Then why does the Church offer no economia, no concession, to polygamists who convert to Orthodoxy?

Can't answer that question, but can say that St Basil disagrees with St John Chrysostom on this point. I side with the latter in most things.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:42:14 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

Can't say that I've ever looked into how the Church handles polygamous converts, but an answer that seems to present itself is that second and third marriages in the absence of the first spouse are already considered a major concession (St. Basil: 3rd marriages are "defilements of the Church.  But we do not subject them to public condemnation, as being better than unrestrained fornication"). But in cases where the first spouse is still alive/present, the actual reason for the concession (human weakness) is absent, so it is not granted.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

The economia for polygamist converts is for the man to pick one of his wives to be his wife. The others he must not treat as wives, but sisters. If he were to expel them and not support them, at least in traditional tribal cultures, they would be unable to support themselves.

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »

There is not much that can be done about a divorce.  What is past is past.  Polygamy is in the present.  You can fix it.  As I understand the canons, the converted polygamist must divorce all but one of his wives.  Unlike the divorced person, who it is thought will burn with lust and therefor commit greater sins, the "reformed" polygamist still has a spouse.  I never thought that this was very fair to the divorced spouses of the polygamist.  But, I suppose that the Church's allowal of a second marriage would accommodate them.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

In Christ,
SBDK

Yes and no.

Can't say that I've ever looked into how the Church handles polygamous converts, but an answer that seems to present itself is that second and third marriages in the absence of the first spouse are already considered a major concession (St. Basil: 3rd marriages are "defilements of the Church.  But we do not subject them to public condemnation, as being better than unrestrained fornication"). But in cases where the first spouse is still alive/present, the actual reason for the concession (human weakness) is absent, so it is not granted.

So there is a great human weakness involved when your spouse has deceased, and you should be permitted to become a polygamist; but when you have three wives - each with, say, three children by you - there is no legitimate basis to grant a concession for the man to continue to be married to two of those three women?  So two of his wives have been engaging in adultery with him, his children are illegitimate, and they have to believe that their parents were never married?  That situation elicits no compassion, but a man or woman having to not have sex for the rest of their lives does?  I think that the idea that it is in any way polygamy for a widow(er) to marry again is poppycock.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

There is not much that can be done about a divorce.  What is past is past.  Polygamy is in the present.  You can fix it.  As I understand the canons, the converted polygamist must divorce all but one of his wives.  Unlike the divorced person, who it is thought will burn with lust and therefor commit greater sins, the "reformed" polygamist still has a spouse.  I never thought that this was very fair to the divorced spouses of the polygamist.  But, I suppose that the Church's allowal of a second marriage would accommodate them.

But I was responding to St. Basil's claim that any second marriage (including of a widow(er)) is polygamy itself.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »

I was just wondering about this myself. The Christians I've dealt with (mostly Protestants, one Roman Catholic) have generally maintained, on the basis of Matthew 22:30, that there is no marriage in heaven [they rarely distinguish between a disembodied state after death and the "resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come," which, if I understand Orthodox theology right, are different things]). Additionally, Fr Laurent of Orthodox Answers takes this position. OTOH, the OrthodoxWiki article on Holy Matrimony says "It serves to unite a woman and a man in eternal union before God..." and that "Christ declared the essential indissolvibility of marriage in the Gospel." It also says "For the Orthodox Christian, the marriage service (wedding) is the Church's formal recognition of the couple's unity, a created image of God's love which is eternal, unique, indivisible and unending." (emphases mine)

Should this be taken to refer to the disembodied state of heaven in which the saints now reside, the life of the world to come, or both? And not to challenge you or say you're wrong, but just for my own edification and understanding, is this idea condemned in Scripture, by an Ecumenical Council, or simply rejected by the consensus fidelium?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

I was just wondering about this myself. The Christians I've dealt with (mostly Protestants, one Roman Catholic) have generally maintained, on the basis of Matthew 22:30, that there is no marriage in heaven [they rarely distinguish between a disembodied state after death and the "resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come," which, if I understand Orthodox theology right, are different things]). Additionally, Fr Laurent of Orthodox Answers takes this position. OTOH, the OrthodoxWiki article on Holy Matrimony says "It serves to unite a woman and a man in eternal union before God..." and that "Christ declared the essential indissolvibility of marriage in the Gospel." It also says "For the Orthodox Christian, the marriage service (wedding) is the Church's formal recognition of the couple's unity, a created image of God's love which is eternal, unique, indivisible and unending." (emphases mine)

Should this be taken to refer to the disembodied state of heaven in which the saints now reside, the life of the world to come, or both? And not to challenge you or say you're wrong, but just for my own edification and understanding, is this idea condemned in Scripture, by an Ecumenical Council, or simply rejected by the consensus fidelium?

Both.

And it is condemned by at least one Father, St. Gregory of Nyssa. I've not heard of it being taught by any of the fathers. Something does not have to be explicitly condemned to be wrong.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »

Both.

And it is condemned by at least one Father, St. Gregory of Nyssa. I've not heard of it being taught by any of the fathers.

Thanks.

Something does not have to be explicitly condemned to be wrong.

True. And I wasn't saying you were wrong or even trying to suggest it honestly; just a noob to Orthodoxy, as my name suggests, and trying to learn all I can about the topic.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »

pp. 15

I personally believe that it is eternal.   The bond of matrimony will exist always.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »

pp. 15

I personally believe that it is eternal.   The bond of matrimony will exist always.

This is why it is important to choose one's spouse carefully.
Although there will be no marrying in heaven, no childbirth, and apparently no sexual attraction, married couples will recognize each other. I guess Mormons will be shocked to learn that.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: