OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:43:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discernment is this hard?  (Read 1819 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »

Its all ego really. Human ego to blame. Oddly enough that seems to be the cause for most BS going on.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »

The Church did still prevail. We can logically conclude that the Church Jesus was referring to when He mentioned the Gates of Hades never prevailing against is either the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church or the Oriental Orthodox Church. Therefore, whichever one it is, it is still in existence today despite schisms.

JamesR, in this logic though, one could say that the protestants were a schism.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

Alright so taking the dyptichs in consideration here, so the Church is divided but that doesn't exclude unification now does it? So once the Church is united again, I don't see the problem.

Reunion is possible, and if it should happen then we will be one Curch, until then we are two seperate chuches and not the same one.
I just can't come to agree with that.

It's not a formal division. Look at what the OO confess in faith, there are no different than us really. They aren't schismatics either because their motive was not to seperate the Body of Christ into two parts.

Chalcedon is not infallible.

My general opinion is the EO and OO are equally Orthodox and belong to the Orthodox Church. We just differ on the usage of the Christological termnology. One side adopts the more Cyrillian Christology the other not so much.

People might argue with me on this, and that's fine, but I think both sides are discussing the same thing except the terms are different.

A lot of the discussions on the forum here are simply outdated. Agreement on faith issues was already reached in the 1990 Chambesy agreement.
Basically it goes like this: The OO recognize that the 4 later councils teach Orthodox theology. The EO recognize that the wording of these 4 councils is not the only way to express Orthodox theology. Just because the OO prefer the terminology of St. Cril of Alexandria (also a saint in the EO church, doesn't mean they are heretics.
Good stuff.

While logically I think you are correct, there is a big caveat.

The relationship hasn't been healed or reconciled for a LOOOONG time for some reason.  If there was a legitimate way to mend the relationships, and specific clarity to be bridged up, then it probably would have happened by now.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: