OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: equality of sins  (Read 264 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that in Orthodoxy, we do not have mortal sins. An EO friend said that some sins are still worse than others. How does that work?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »

All sins "miss the mark" of what we should do, but some miss the mark more than others. We don't classify them nowadays, not where I've been anyway, but it is true that some sins are worse than others, something even Jesus alluded to.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »

FWIW, without going into all the details invlolved in the RC distinction between venial/mortal sins, my confessor does not require me to confess everytime before I receive communion, but there are certain sins that would render me unprepared for the reception of Communion if not confessed.

EDIT: I just noticed where this was posted. I'm not OO so I apologize if my reply ends up being inconsistent with OO replies here, but I do not expect this to be an area of difference between us, so I will leave it up with this disclaimer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:33:11 PM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: