OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:56:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soccer thread  (Read 3757 times) Average Rating: 0
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I agree.  The truly great have no need for it, and make every effort to avoid falling down (and to actually play the sport).  That said, there are a lot of big name superstars out there, cough, C. Ronaldo, cough, S. Gerrard, who have developed pretty bad reputations in this regard.

That's why I really came to appreciate Germany's team in the last World Cup.  They rarely fell down, screaming and moaning, but kept attacking and playing.  They couldn't pull it out in the end, but it was a delightful team to watch.
was supposed to be played.

Indeed, come to think of it the Germans did remind me of sans flop Mexican soccer albeit if on steroids Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »

Whose the coach for the Germany team?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »

Got a phone call from Western Sydney Wanderers (the new A-League club I said I would hate) about possibly playing football there. Oh the irony. Seems like I'm going to be a Western Sydney fan now.  Wink

C'est La Vie, time to go running!

That's great news.  A foot in the door is a foot in the door.  You'll be bouncing around top clubs in no time just like the top flight pros Wink

To be honest, I'd rather stay in a mid-major club in a country like Australia and actually play (which still pays handsomely), than bounce around a bunch of really good clubs in England, Germany, or Spain and never see the pitch. lol

There are good clubs in Europe too, where you can stay as a regular player, such as mid-rank clubs in countries like Spain, Italy or Germany ; the level is, still, demanding ! And if you're willing to stay in the club, your place in the club will be secured, as you have "seniority" (some players are not great soccer stars but they are still crucial for the team) !  Grin

PS : Or a French club if you plan to stay for a long time  Cheesy

I'd like to go to England if I could. I have European citizenship, so I don't need the dreaded work permit. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Got a phone call from Western Sydney Wanderers (the new A-League club I said I would hate) about possibly playing football there. Oh the irony. Seems like I'm going to be a Western Sydney fan now.  Wink

That's great news.  A foot in the door is a foot in the door.  You'll be bouncing around top clubs in no time just like the top flight pros Wink

To be honest, I'd rather stay in a mid-major club in a country like Australia and actually play (which still pays handsomely), than bounce around a bunch of really good clubs in England, Germany, or Spain and never see the pitch. lol

For the world's sport, footballers don't seem to get paid very well aside from a few huge phenoms.. Maybe if they paid better folks would abandon the dreaded flop Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That's because there are thousands of professional clubs in the world. All the world famous, big, clubs (Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Milan, etc) pay all of the players about as much as NFL or NBA players make in America.

Forgive my sins.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »

Whose the coach for the Germany team?

Joachim Low
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »

Got a phone call from Western Sydney Wanderers (the new A-League club I said I would hate) about possibly playing football there. Oh the irony. Seems like I'm going to be a Western Sydney fan now.  Wink

That's great news.  A foot in the door is a foot in the door.  You'll be bouncing around top clubs in no time just like the top flight pros Wink

For the world's sport, footballers don't seem to get paid very well aside from a few huge phenoms.. Maybe if they paid better folks would abandon the dreaded flop Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tye two highest paying sports teams in the world are football clubs.

1    Barcelona    La Liga    avg. yearly salary: $7,910,737    avg weekly salary: $152,130
2    Real Madrid La Liga    avg. yearly salary: $7,356,632    avg weekly salary:$141,474

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

1    Barcelona    La Liga    avg. yearly salary: $7,910,737    avg weekly salary: $152,130
2    Real Madrid La Liga    avg. yearly salary: $7,356,632    avg weekly salary:$141,474

You know I was sarcastically trolling Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

You know I was sarcastically trolling Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Oh, my bad.  laugh

Forgive my sins.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

ole' ole' ole' ole'  Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

viva espana goooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllll

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »

another beauty!!!!!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

Torressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

ole' ole' ole' ole' hahahaha

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »

Vamos Espana!!!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »

great game, sad to see  it end,  angel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:56:32 PM by Hiwot » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »

This was predictable, Italy was the Cinderella of this ball and the thing about Cinderella is she was never supposed to be there in the first place, and aside from the Kings this year, very rarely win it all because of the sheer difficulty it takes in beating so many superior teams consecutively.  Italy didn't have enough gas or real potential to compete at that level, they just got lucky in upsetting Germany.  If anything, it seemed at in the semis and Final in the Euro the common theme amongst most teams was exhaustion and lack of urgency.  Maybe they all put too much into the group stages, or maybe it was a dive, either way, I feel meh about all this aside from having a new respect for Spain.

Now that Espania has achieved winning three consecutive international championships for the first time ever, the Phil Jackson Threepete era has finally come to soccer.  Pat Riley may have coined the term, but only Phil Jackson's Bulls and Lakers have ever clinched three consecutive championships for any team of any sport, aside from Spain now with international soccer.  Congrats, I really never liked Spain but now I truly tip my hap to them and respect their phenomenal game, they deserve it fi real!!

That is THIRTEEN championship rings by the way, and the only coach to threepete not once, not twice, but THREE times!!

People big up Jordan and Kobe, but the secret to those players is not their inherent talent, it was Phil Jackson, simple as that.  What was the secret to Lebron finally getting his? The second best coach in the modern era.. Pat Riley

having a brass knuckles set of championship rings for both hands are unique accomplishments, something only the Spaniards are coming even remotely into that level in soccer for the first time.  I expect the beautiful game to change forever.  It is not about winning one, it is about winning several now, and consecutively, or its worth nothing.  Perhaps this is the beginning of the end or the beginning of the best ever, we will see.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »

*sigh* So now I get to see a bunch of kids around my town wearing Spain kits and yell about how great they are, yet could not tell me 3 members of their national team.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »

Same here  Grin
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »

*sigh* So now I get to see a bunch of kids around my town wearing Spain kits and yell about how great they are, yet could not tell me 3 members of their national team.....

PP

LOL. I was doing that with my Norway jersey the other day.

Forgive my sins.
Tags: Polish Poland 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: