OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medical treatment for animals  (Read 793 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: June 07, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

So in another thread it was mentioned that somebody's neighbor is having their dog go through chemo because it has cancer.  I'm curious as to how much people here are willing to spend to treat medical problems in their animals.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

So in another thread it was mentioned that somebody's neighbor is having their dog go through chemo because it has cancer.  I'm curious as to how much people here are willing to spend to treat medical problems in their animals.

My neighbor has spent at least $10,000 so far, and he is willing to spend more time and money because he loves his pet.

He looked into pet insurance, but one of his friends had pet insurance and it would not cover expensive cancer treatments. Overall, she paid more in insurance premiums than she did for the cancer treatments.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »

A large part of it would be dependent on how much money I had. If money was no issue then I'd do what could be done. If I was barely putting food on the table then fido would be out of luck. In between, I suppose, is what you're really asking about though. And I'm not sure about that. How far would I be willing to go, once it started requiring actual sacrifice on my part? I don't know.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »

I don't believe in spending to excess on animals. Of course, now many would deny the very notion that there is such a thing as excess.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

I cannot fathom spending $10,000 on an animal even over the whole of its life (unless, I suppose, they lived long enough that there food added up over time), no matter how much money I have available.  It makes me wonder about people's priorities to hear that they spend ten grand on cancer treatment for their dog, when there are plenty of human beings who are going bankrupt over medical expenses.  I suppose I'm mostly just curious as to whether or not putting down an animal with any major medical issue is common or if it just means I'm a heartless jerk.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »

I don't believe in spending to excess on animals. Of course, now many would deny the very notion that there is such a thing as excess.

That's true.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

I cannot fathom spending $10,000 on an animal even over the whole of its life (unless, I suppose, they lived long enough that there food added up over time), no matter how much money I have available.  It makes me wonder about people's priorities to hear that they spend ten grand on cancer treatment for their dog, when there are plenty of human beings who are going bankrupt over medical expenses.  I suppose I'm mostly just curious as to whether or not putting down an animal with any major medical issue is common or if it just means I'm a heartless jerk.

I think putting animals down when medical treatments were unavailable or bills too high was quite common. Now, with medicine becoming more and more a consumer-driven industry catering to human vanity to higher and higher degrees, you have people spending and doing because they can. The fact that it can be done becomes in some people's minds an idea that it should be done.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »

Anything more than $100-$300 seems really unnecessary to me. Yeah I love animals but I'm not going to spend excessive amounts of money on one when millions of people are living in poverty and dying. I would just put my animal down and if that is too much money then I suppose I'll have to do it myself with grandpa's shotgun.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

Well, I'm glad this is the area of "free for all" because this is gonna sound controversial for sure.

Heck no.  No way, no how.  People spend sometimes $10k-30k for their pet's treatments.   They are animals.  Whether or not you love a pet.

There are people right now in this world, our brothers and sisters in Christ, who desperately need help.

Animals are here to serve us.  If its something simple sure.  Be humane.  Be a good owner of the animal.   Use sense.  But if I ever found myself about to spend in excess of $1k on an animal, I would first suggest taking a drive into some of American's slums.

I've seen Russian immigrant children living in a ghetto NYC apartment basement who slept on milk crates covered with a thin blanket to keep off the floor.   To think $10k for a dog, or buy some human beings a $100 mattress.....  I think you get my point. 

Like I said controversial, and I like animals, and live on a small farm with many animals.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

Anything more than $100-$300 seems really unnecessary to me. Yeah I love animals but I'm not going to spend excessive amounts of money on one when millions of people are living in poverty and dying. I would just put my animal down and if that is too much money then I suppose I'll have to do it myself with grandpa's shotgun.

My dog cost me way more than that. I don't know why I wouldn't spend that amount again if it would mean prolonging his enjoyment of life (and my enjoyment of his life) for a few more years.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

My dog cost me way more than that. I don't know why I wouldn't spend that amount again if it would mean prolonging his enjoyment of life (and my enjoyment of his life) for a few more years.

Same. If you aren't willing to pay that amount, don't keep a dog as a pet. 

Hats off to all of those in this thread who actually put all of their discretionary funding towards charity. If you've spent more on video games, movies, house decorations, surround sound theaters, or whatever than I did on my dog, I suggest you hold your tongue.

Some costs, e.g. $10k doggie chemotherapy and such, are way out of bounds, but normal "maintenance" can be quite expensive.

My dog is one of my best investments.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »

I've spent as much as $1200 a pop on procedures for one of our doggies. We'll spend money on proper care for them when necessary. But we make informed decisions; since I'm a nurse I know what quwstions to ask. Our guidelines are we will only treat reversable or manageable conditions, we'll agree on what point to consider euthanasia and we'll put the doggies well being aheqad of our feelings. My opinion (just my opinion) is that some folks prolong a pet's life long after the time the pet is happy and  comfortable only to avoid making the big decision, putting thier needs ahead of the pet's. this isn't an academic question for me:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44524.0.html

Proverbs 22:7
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »

Hats off to all of those in this thread who actually put all of their discretionary funding towards charity. If you've spent more on video games, movies, house decorations, surround sound theaters, or whatever than I did on my dog, I suggest you hold your tongue.

Some costs, e.g. $10k doggie chemotherapy and such, are way out of bounds, but normal "maintenance" can be quite expensive.

I've had several dogs, including one that lived 16 years, and that my family got before I was born.  Never have any of them had an expense exceeding a few hundred dollars.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »

I've had several dogs, including one that lived 16 years, and that my family got before I was born.  Never have any of them had an expense exceeding a few hundred dollars.

Well then, you're the expert, and I'm ill informed. Your family was fortunate. So if your pups issues had cost a bit more, axe to the back of the neck?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »

Well then, you're the expert, and I'm ill informed. Your family was fortunate. So if your pups issues had cost a bit more, axe to the back of the neck?

Yeah, James, what do you want, a gold star? What was the point of that comment?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »

Yeah, James, what do you want, a gold star? What was the point of that comment?

My point was to respond to the statement "So if you aren't willing to pay that amount, don't keep a dog as a pet." 

A dog is not a human being, I do not think any great amount of money needs to be paid to prolong one's life. 

HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »

My family's cat recently got very sick, I think the bill was up to 800-1000 dollars when my mom started to say, "How much is too much?" None of us want to see our cat die, but if the treatment isn't seeming like it would help him in the long run, it's a difficult choice to make when to stop and just say it's better this way. Luckily, our cat soon improved, so we didn't have to make that choice. He still makes me happy all the time Smiley
Quick edit: We ended up spending 800-1000 dollars, by the way, it didn't run up higher

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:36:22 PM by HouseOfGod » Logged

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »

Some people would pay $30,000 for a car when a $15,000 car would do just fine.
Some people would pay $150,000 for a house when a $75,000 house would do just fine.
Some people would pay $30,000 for a wedding when a $15,000 wedding would do just fine.

I wouldn't judge people for spending more if that's what makes them happy. If that's how they want to spend their money, and they have the money to spend, then whatever. But when it's perfectly normal in our country to spend tens of thousands of dollars more than is necessary on cars, weddings, and houses, I don't see what is so strange about spending it on a pet you love and consider part of your family.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »

Some people would pay $150,000 for a house when a $75,000 house would do just fine.
Some people would pay $30,000 for a wedding when a $15,000 wedding would do just fine.

I wouldn't judge people for spending more if that's what makes them happy. If that's how they want to spend their money, and they have the money to spend, then whatever. But when it's perfectly normal in our country to spend tens of thousands of dollars more than is necessary on cars, weddings, and houses, I don't see what is so strange about spending it on a pet you love and consider part of your family.
That's a rather excellent way to put it Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »

That is a fairly good way to put it.

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »

I could just get a new dog for even cheaper
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:45:07 AM by JamesR » Logged

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »

Dear James,

There are endless examples where people value things differently, even inanimate objects.  For instance, I might take care to handle a paper icon with respect, but to another person it might be irrelevant as a take-out menu.  There are also examples where people don't even value human life, or consider humans to be undifferentiated utility items. 

Our forefather Adam was called to be a steward of creation, and he named the animals.  The Good Shepherd calls each of the sheep by name.  This parable may not be about actual sheep, but our Lord used this imagery for a reason.   

Perhaps our ability to care for God's creation has been distorted in the fallen world, leading to excesses in both directions.   It may be irresponsible to prolong the life of a pet. It may also be irresponsible to kill a pet because it is an inconvenience. 

Love, elephant

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

I'm amazed at what some of you think is a lot of money - I can only assume you don't keep pets. I can't afford thousands (or even hundreds) on an illness or injury, which is why we insure our dog. It's a good thing too because about 18 months ago she was hit by a car and fixing her broken leg cost our insurance company over £4000. To be honest I think that if you aren't willing to pay out for the insurance (or the medical fees if you have no insurance) then you have no business keeping an animal. I couldn't (and wouldn't - it's probably crueller than putting them down) put a dog through chemo but there's a world of difference between cancer and a broken leg.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

I could just get a new dog for even cheaper

A bit utilitarian for my liking.

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us. We remember with shame that in the past we have exercised the high dominion of man with ruthless cruelty so that the voice of the earth, which should have gone up to Thee in song has been a groan of travail. May we realize that they live not for us alone, but for themselves and for Thee and that they love the sweetness of life even as we, and serve Thee better in their place than we in ours." -Attributed to St Basil

In any case, when our pets suffer we should repent because human sin and corruption is what caused it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:09:51 AM by age234 » Logged
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

A dog is not a human being, I do not think any great amount of money needs to be paid to prolong one's life. 

A dog is not a human being, but a dog is not an inanimate object either. Animals have souls and serve and worship God in their own way. A dog is better at being a dog than any of us are at being humans.

When people spend obscene amounts of money on things that give them pleasure, or even on non-utilitarian cosmetic repairs to their cars, I would submit it's more important to spend money being a good steward of thr animals we've taken for ourselves than to spend it on self-pleasure.

I do agree though, that if a person can't commit to that, they should not own pets.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »

Unfortunately my beautiful Great Pyrenees dog had to be euthanized this past Friday.  She was 12 1/2 and had cancer that caused the sac around her heart to fill up with fluid, plus other terrible things.  I spent quite a bit of money to diagnose it and treat her until it became clear nothing more could be done.

Now, to someone else she was just a dog.  To me, a gift from God.

She has protected my mother from a vicious dog that came charging at them while they were walking on a path. She has physically put herself between me and some threat, such as the time 5 Boxer dogs came charging at us when their gate wasn't latched properly and they got loose, or between some person that was unknown to her. When my brother came to visit after being gone for many years, she didn't know him so she made sure I was safe.  Instead of sleeping by my bed, she lay down in the doorway to the guest bedroom where my brother was.  When he got up in the middle of the night, she escorted him to the bathroom, waited, and walked him back to the guest bedroom and again put lay down in the doorway to the guest bedroom.   

She was so gentle with small children and the elderly.  A neighbor boy who had autism and didn't talk or interact with people much would  actually be able to connect and make eye contact and talk to her.  Once when I was at a street fair there was a girl, about 10 years old, with Down's Syndrome who kept looking at her and smiling so I took her over to see this girl.  The parents were amazed because they said their daughter was very much afraid of dogs and that my dog was the first dog she had petted and wasn't afraid of.   

I didn't spend much on my wedding. I wore a dress I got off a clearance rack at Macy's.   I'm driving an old Buick.  I don't spend much money on restaurants.  But I will spend money on my dog.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »

Unfortunately my beautiful Great Pyrenees dog had to be euthanized this past Friday.  She was 12 1/2 and had cancer that caused the sac around her heart to fill up with fluid, plus other terrible things.  I spent quite a bit of money to diagnose it and treat her until it became clear nothing more could be done.

Now, to someone else she was just a dog.  To me, a gift from God.

She has protected my mother from a vicious dog that came charging at them while they were walking on a path. She has physically put herself between me and some threat, such as the time 5 Boxer dogs came charging at us when their gate wasn't latched properly and they got loose, or between some person that was unknown to her. When my brother came to visit after being gone for many years, she didn't know him so she made sure I was safe.  Instead of sleeping by my bed, she lay down in the doorway to the guest bedroom where my brother was.  When he got up in the middle of the night, she escorted him to the bathroom, waited, and walked him back to the guest bedroom and again put lay down in the doorway to the guest bedroom.   

She was so gentle with small children and the elderly.  A neighbor boy who had autism and didn't talk or interact with people much would  actually be able to connect and make eye contact and talk to her.  Once when I was at a street fair there was a girl, about 10 years old, with Down's Syndrome who kept looking at her and smiling so I took her over to see this girl.  The parents were amazed because they said their daughter was very much afraid of dogs and that my dog was the first dog she had petted and wasn't afraid of.   

I didn't spend much on my wedding. I wore a dress I got off a clearance rack at Macy's.   I'm driving an old Buick.  I don't spend much money on restaurants.  But I will spend money on my dog.

Those are wonderful animals.   We know of people that this breed has protected from rattle snakes, dogs, etc.   Sad to hear of your loss.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »

I differ a lot in opinion on this topic from some of you.  Not because I am cruel, or want to spend excessively elsewhere or anything like that.  (for the record we do live simply, simple cars, simple stuff, frugal where we can).

We are on a small farm.  Life and death are a constant.   We butcher chickens & goats.  Milk Goats.  We also raise rabbits for fur that our daughter spins.   Needless to say, life and death is a reality.  It's fun to watch baby chicks hatch from eggs, and somewhat sad to see them on butchering day, but always thankful at the table.

Dogs are the same way.  See puppies born, treat them well, but they eventually grow old, or get sick, and will die.   It's just a reality that is a constant around here.   In fact, one of our rabbits caught a disease (we think a rat bit her) and I took it out back and shot it.   Sad, but reality.   To spend money at a vets office is very foreign to me, especially that kind of money.

I mean if it was something simple, cheap, OK.  But once we start crossing several hundred dollars, they either live with it or get put down.  It's just the nature of things.  Love animals, love dogs.  We'll treat them right, feed them good, give them loads of attention, but we aren't going to spend that kind of money on an animal. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: