OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: www.canon15.ca  (Read 488 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: June 07, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

Copying a post from Fortunatus on tasbeha.org:

+Irini nem ehmot

http://www.canon15.ca --- text of letter is there.

Dear All,

These are historic times in our church. Many of the Coptic Youth and laity in Canada have put forward a letter  to His Eminence and the Synod, in the hopes that our voices will be taken into consideration during the selection process. Please note, this is NOT a petition, this is not a protest, this is not a strike. This is not a presumptuous attempt to try and teach others or to force God's will in a certain letter. This is a LETTER, that if you agree with, you are sending with us to the Synod.

The Throne of Saint Mark, one of the most ancient and venerated, is the responsibility of all Copts -  laity and  clergy of all ranks. We are all the sons of the Patriarchs, and it is our duty, I believe, to do all that we can in good conscience, to defend what they taught us and that  we received from them. If we believe, truly, that we want a shepherd according to God's will, and not just His permission, then I think we do no harm in asking our fathers to hear our voices. Because this is done with humble spirit, if we are wrong, the Lord will not be grieved by us. If we are right, however, and keep silent, then let each of us be held accountable by his own conscience if the canons are violated.

To those who are not in Canada, we humbly encourage you to take on similar letters, or even the exact same one if you wish, so that the Synod knows that there are many of us who desire that a monastic candidate be selected.

We all pray for the repose of the soul of our beloved father, Abba Shenouda, and pray with all our hearts that our Lord raise a shepherd to us after His own heart.

Arabic version to follow shortly.

Pray for me,
Fortunatus
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

What is the context of this? I assume the next patriarch has yet to be elected.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

The list of candidates was released, and included Metropolitans, bishops, general bishops, and monks. There is a great deal of debate right now about whether or not to follow the canons. This is part of the debate.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »

Bump

I am doing this so people can refer to this more.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: