OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conservative Jews approve gay wedding guidelines  (Read 2371 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: June 06, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »

"The Conservative branch of American Judaism has formally approved same-sex marriage ceremonies..."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/01/conservative-jews-approve-gay-wedding-guidelines/#ixzz1x0HGcwn4

Proverbs 22:7
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »

Conservatives approving gay weddings? Wait, what? laugh
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:17:50 AM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »

Conservatives approving gay weddings? Wait, what? laugh
Rush Limbaugh (I don't know if you know who that is) remarked the other day about the problem with conservative institutions.  The drift is naturally towards liberalism, because that takes no effort just entropy, whereas conservatism requires eternal vigilance to maintain an institution as conservative.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »

"The Conservative branch of American Judaism has formally approved same-sex marriage ceremonies..."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/01/conservative-jews-approve-gay-wedding-guidelines/#ixzz1x0HGcwn4

Do you live in a state that has gay marriage? I was wondering if we'd see your wedding pictures anytime soon.  Wink
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »

Do you live in a state that has gay marriage? I was wondering if we'd see your wedding pictures anytime soon.  Wink
No unfortunately same-sex marriages aren't legal in VA. We may have a religious ceremony at some point though.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

No unfortunately same-sex marriages aren't legal in VA. We may have a religious ceremony at some point though.

Grin
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »

yeah..But don't read too much into the term "Conservative". They are not part of the "Reform Movement" which is a whole other kettle of fish and has more to do with how services are conducted and who can serve in authority etc. Conservative congregations are often very liberal. I have a Gay relative who has attended a Conservative Temple for many years.

If Orthodox Jews allow Gay marriage then head for an inner room in your basement and get under a strong table for when the winds pick up.  Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »

Oy vey!  The downward spiral continues.  Lord have mercy!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »

From the story:

Dorff said he did not know how many members of the movement's Rabbinical Assembly perform same-sex marriages. However, many rabbis had already been conducting ceremonies for gays and lesbians that they had developed on their own. Keshet, which advocates for gay and lesbian Jews, has started a public database of rabbis who would perform the ceremony called The Equality Guide.

I suppose it’s good to have standardized guidelines. My wife has a Jewish-convert acquaintance whose same-sex marriage was performed by a Conservative rabbi. I guess he/she was winging it?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »

Like FOX news is really a reliable news source for anything but right-wing propoganda...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

Like FOX news is really a reliable news source for anything but right-wing propoganda...

Even though they have Catholics on it, I heard it's run by Protestants.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

For once, your humor might actually be dead on the mark. The right-wing majority of America does tend to be Protestant.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »

So much for the Torah.

Thank you.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »

My rabbi confirmed this, so it isn't just propaganda.
Shabbat Shalom.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »

Shabbat Shalom.
Are you sure your Rabbi isn't a Protestant?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

Shabbat Shalom.
Are you sure your Rabbi isn't a Protestant?

Isn't that what Reform rabbis, and now many  "Conservative" rabbis are?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »

All news is propaganda.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »

All news is propaganda.

Not necessarily, but much of it is.

I think it was Mark Twain (?) who said, "If you don't read the newspaper, you'll be uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you'll be misinformed."

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »

yeah..But don't read too much into the term "Conservative". They are not part of the "Reform Movement" which is a whole other kettle of fish and has more to do with how services are conducted and who can serve in authority etc. Conservative congregations are often very liberal. I have a Gay relative who has attended a Conservative Temple for many years.

If Orthodox Jews allow Gay marriage then head for an inner room in your basement and get under a strong table for when the winds pick up.  Smiley

Agreed.  The moon will be blood, and the locusts will come.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »

Agreed.  The moon will be blood, and the locusts will come.

Start heading to the basement then, there was a Modern Orthodox rabbi (though there are many rabbis who dispute his claim to be a rabbi) who a couple years ago ('09 maybe?) performed some sort of gay wedding ceremony.

EDIT: I'll see later if I can find the article.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:58:01 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

Start heading to the basement then, there was a Modern Orthodox rabbi (though there are many rabbis who dispute his claim to be a rabbi) who a couple years ago ('09 maybe?) performed some sort of gay wedding ceremony.

That would be different from the an official statement from an Orthodox Governing Body sanctioning Gay marriages. There are always rouge clergy in every group. So maybe there was just a small ground tremor or a tornado or two..

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »

That would be different from the an official statement from an Orthodox Governing Body sanctioning Gay marriages. There are always rouge clergy in every group. So maybe there was just a small ground tremor or a tornado or two..

Like this?

Grin Grin

(I know, I know--it was a typo.  But such a good one that I couldn't resist!)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:03:26 AM by J Michael » Logged

jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

Everyone knows that Jews control the media. 

So much for the Torah.

I guess you didn't get the memo.  It's all about the Talmud now.  Torah has become meaningless.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »

LOL - it's "flee to the mountains".

I don't have a basement Sad   Under 10 inches of this Texas dirt, is solid limestone.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »

This is just one of the many reasons why I left the faith of Judaism a few months ago. I guess soon it might be hello Islam for me  laugh a Jew turned Moslem has an odd ring to it but might just have to do for now  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:43:52 PM by jewish voice » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »

This is just one of the many reasons why I left the faith of Judaism a few months ago. I guess soon it might be hello Islam for me  laugh a Jew turned Moslem has an odd ring to it but might just have to do for now  Tongue

Sounds like "from the ditch to the duck pond" situation to me.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

LOL - it's "flee to the mountains".

I don't have a basement Sad   Under 10 inches of this Texas dirt, is solid limestone.

At least you have mountains. My country is one giant corn field.
We'll be safe until harvest.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »

RE: the OP- Who cares?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »

We all should, as it shows the continuing deterioration and downward spiral of faith, morals, and values in this country (the U.S.A.), afflicting and affecting all of us, all segments of society.  Yes, we are our brother's keeper.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

That's gay.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

We all should, as it shows the continuing deterioration and downward spiral of faith, morals, and values in this country (the U.S.A.), afflicting and affecting all of us, all segments of society.  Yes, we are our brother's keeper.

You're right.  I recant.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »

Obviously I do. Every one here posts topics they feel are important. Whether or not others do remains to be seen.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »

Obviously I do. Every one here posts topics they feel are important. Whether or not others do remains to be seen.
I don't see why you see the need to gloat about it all the time, though.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »

I don't see why you see the need to gloat about it all the time, though.

What does he gloat about, exactly?  Being gay?  I've never seen a post from him that I interpreted as gloating, that was related to his homosexuality.  When someone mentions their impending marriage, current marriage, or former marriage, do you see it as gloating about their heterosexuality?  It's not like Tallitot posts nude pictures of him and his partner.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

Not at all what I was talking about, but nice try.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »

Not at all what I was talking about, but nice try.

What, exactly, are you talking about then?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »

Seems like Tallitot likes to rub it in whenever "progress" is made.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

How is he rubbing anything in, just because he posts a story that got his interest?  Isn't that what most of the stories in the Christian News forum are, stories that got someone's interest?  It isn't like he's said "Ha ha ha!  You Orthodox will one day fall to this too!"

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »

Apparently this topic hit a nerve for you and i sincerley apologize. Considering the title of the thread made it clear what the thread was about why did you read it in the first place?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

Come on, James. Clearly more than what is interesting is at play. This is an Orthodox Christian forum and tallitot knows how most of us feel about such issues.

jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »

Wait I'm missing something here Tallitot is gay ??
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

He is.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »

Come on, James. Clearly more than what is interesting is at play. This is an Orthodox Christian forum and tallitot knows how most of us feel about such issues.

So don't click on a topic with the title 'Conservative Jews approve gay wedding guidelines."

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

He is.

Like a queen!

Oh wait...  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

He is.

Like a queen!

Oh wait...  angel
And in a few years I'll have my diamond jubilee Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: