OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 10:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing in your Bible  (Read 1290 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: June 05, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

So, do you write in your Bible? How about in your study Bible? I remember when I first decided to start writing in my Bible, to be honest, it took some time, since I was a little apprehensive about writing in a book that contained the Holy Scriptures.  However, once I started to write in my Bible, it opened up the Scriptures to me in a new way. I began feeling like I was interacting with the text on much greater level than before. Not only was I scribbling additional notes and commentary that I found to be useful, but also thoughts and inspirations that came through my reading. Over time I came to develop a system of how I personally annotated my Bible.

I am curious to read if any of you regularly write in your Bible's. Do you have a system?

Tasting is Believing
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

I hate writing in books- it just feels wrong. I think I have some weird book fetishism because I feel like I hurt them by writing in them.

I also can't stand Stephen Mitchell and his garbage Tao Te Ching "translation" but that's another topic.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

I hate writing in books- it just feels wrong. I think I have some weird book fetishism because I feel like I hurt them by writing in them.

This.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »

No because it feels to Protestant to me; keeping my notes written within the Bible seems kind of sacreligious like I am defiling the Scriptures with my own notes and opinions. Instead, I prefer to keep a notepad nearby to conduct my writings.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:11:43 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »

No because it feels to Protestant to me; keeping my notes written within the Bible seems kind of sacreligious like I am defiling the Scriptures with my own notes and opinions. Instead, I prefer to keep a notepad nearby to conduct my writings.

It's a good thing that the men copying Mark didn't think the same way.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »

I'm too lazy to keep a separate journal.

Tasting is Believing
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »

If you are not writing in your texts, you ain't reading.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »

If you are not writing in your texts, you ain't reading.
This.  I would also like to add "highlighting".

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »

I also can't stand Stephen Mitchell and his garbage Tao Te Ching "translation" but that's another topic.

I can't stand gooseberry cobbler.  Sad

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:27:20 AM »

I rarely make notes or do highlighting in my "good" Bible - simply because I don't want it to be a journal. I can keep a separate notebook if I like, and have done so. However, on a couple of occasions in the past, when I wanted to do a more detailed study, I bought an inexpensive edition - there are cheap paperback editions in the $5-10 range, and even less especially NT only - for marking up.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »

Question for those who contemplate writing annotations in their Bibles/NTs: Would you consider drawing on, or marking your icons? or annotating your service books? Food for thought.

Far better to have a notebook, appropriately indexed, for one's thoughts and musings.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »

Yeah, I cant write in my bible.

I get irritated when someone lays something on top of it, like a cup of coffee or some piece of mail or something. I find it very disrespectful and I have to move it off immidately.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

A dollar store chain in our region has the KJV for $1; I use one that I bought from there for highlights, notes etc. I figure  there is no need to add notes to the Orthodox Study Bible.

Antiochian OC N.A.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »

Same for me.

So I bought a very cheap Bible (the Louis Segond translation (french Bible) .

I allow myself to write on it not because it's a cheap Bible, but because of the "aspect" of the Bible (yes that's kind of weird)

In Christ,
WM
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

Same for me.

I allow myself to write on it not because it's a cheap Bible, but because of the "aspect" of the Bible (yes that's kind of weird)

In Christ,
WM

That still sounds like cheating. A Bible is a Bible.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »

laugh I absolutely can relate, on the occasion I have underlined something in them, even though I have used a pencil, I felt very guilty for doing that. so now my Bible is full of bookmarks I can write on but  which can sometimes be very annoying as they tend to spill all over the place if I am not careful. I have to come up with  something better  Undecided

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »

Yeah, I cant write in my bible.

I get irritated when someone lays something on top of it, like a cup of coffee or some piece of mail or something. I find it very disrespectful and I have to move it off immidately.

PP

+1

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

With the exception of the dedication and/or family tree pages at the front (or back) of a given Bible, I can't bring myself to write in one, or any book, for that matter.

I used to get into arguments with professors in college who expected us to mark up our books, write in margins and whatnot.  They would think I wasn't doing my reading.

Then I'd whip out the ol' black and white composition book that had entire passages copied out by hand in it.  If I actually write it, I will remember it.  Most backed off, but a couple still thought I was crazy.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »

Same for me.

In Christ,
WM

And this sounds very legalistic.

I can appreciate treating the Bible with respect, and I can appreciate that "respect" is interpreted differently, but a Bible is a Bible, indeed, not a Qur'an.

Tasting is Believing
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

Same for me.

In Christ,
WM

But I have 3 other Bibles, and I wouldn't dare to write on these  Cheesy
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

Same for me.

In Christ,
WM

And this sounds very legalistic.

I can appreciate treating the Bible with respect, and I can appreciate that "respect" is interpreted differently, but a Bible is a Bible, indeed, not a Qur'an.

I ask again, Big Chris: Would you mark your icons, or, indeed, annotate your psalter?
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »

With the exception of the dedication and/or family tree pages at the front (or back) of a given Bible, I can't bring myself to write in one, or any book, for that matter.

I used to get into arguments with professors in college who expected us to mark up our books, write in margins and whatnot.  They would think I wasn't doing my reading.

Then I'd whip out the ol' black and white composition book that had entire passages copied out by hand in it.  If I actually write it, I will remember it.  Most backed off, but a couple still thought I was crazy.  

Thank you!!! In school I used to see people line up their different color highlighters as they sit to read and just highlight nearly everything on their text book. I cant make myself not notice what they are doing and I get  strongly tempted to snatch it away and run, its like watching a horror flick and a bad one at that.

you are also right about rewriting stuff helping you remember it better, that was actualy how I used to study too.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

Question for those who contemplate writing annotations in their Bibles/NTs: Would you consider drawing on, or marking your icons? or annotating your service books? Food for thought.

Far better to have a notebook, appropriately indexed, for one's thoughts and musings.

I don't think this analogy holds for icons because there's a functionality difference. People aren't talking about doodling in the margins or drawing smiley faces in all the 'O''s. I can't think of a way that marking on one of my icons would make it more useful for its function. But people highlighting, underlying, and adding annotations in the margins of their bibles are doing so specifically to improve their understanding of the text. Indeed, they are simply doing by hand what the editors of the OSB and most other editions of the printed Bible did via typesetting--and which all would have been done by hand in any era before printing.
(And, btw, most clergy service books that I have seen have been annotated with additional notes and reminders by the priest on what he needs to be doing at this time, correcting translations, etc).

(I, on the other hand, am among those who can't bring myself to mark up any book.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:04:15 AM by witega » Logged

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

I ask again, Big Chris: Would you mark your icons, or, indeed, annotate your psalter?

Icons:  Why would I need to?

Psalter: Yes, provided there's enough space.  I already have intertextual references marked, for instance.

Tasting is Believing
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

What about all those footnotes and marginal notes?  do they belong in the Bible?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »

Dilemma solved: Notetaker's Bibles with margins designed just for that.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

I don't highlight or write in my Bibles, partly because I hate writing in books but mainly because nearly every word on the page ends up being highlighted or underlined, which defeats the whole point.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

Respectfully though, I see no difference between a "Study" Bible with it's copious notes and my Bible with handwritten notes. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

Some Priests treat altar Bibles as autograph books for high guests.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

I don't highlight or write in my Bibles, partly because I hate writing in books but mainly because nearly every word on the page ends up being highlighted or underlined, which defeats the whole point.

Not unless you develop a system.

My system, for instance, is self-limiting.

Tasting is Believing
TITL

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »

This is funny. My mom asked me, not too long ago, to get into the habit of writing in my Bible as I'm reading. I didn't do it for a while because I didn't know what it was she expected me to write. I considered cheating off of her Bible, but she writes in Arabic, and I can't really read Undecided Anyway, as I was listening to sermons and reading Bible contemplations, I realized that these would make awesome notes! For example, a lot of verses are symbolic and have deeper meanings, so I would jot those down...etc.

It seems a lot of you think writing in a Bible is disrespectful. I never thought of it like that. I certainly would not put a drink or anything on top of my Bible or lean on it while I'm reading. The notebook idea is good, but it's not as convenient to carry around and I'm prone to lose it somewhere. I have a case for my Study Bible with a pencil inside, and since I carry it around a lot, it's just easier to write on the pages (before I forget).

My grandfather's Agpeya is probably quadruple it's size since he bought it because of all his notes and pictures and whatever else he keeps in there. He passed away, but I love opening it up (like an ancient treasure) and reading his short prayers and words of wisdom (it's not all in English though Sad).

I really should learn to read Arabic. It makes life so much easier.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »

This is funny. My mom asked me, not too long ago, to get into the habit of writing in my Bible as I'm reading. I didn't do it for a while because I didn't know what it was she expected me to write. I considered cheating off of her Bible, but she writes in Arabic, and I can't really read Undecided Anyway, as I was listening to sermons and reading Bible contemplations, I realized that these would make awesome notes! For example, a lot of verses are symbolic and have deeper meanings, so I would jot those down...etc.

It seems a lot of you think writing in a Bible is disrespectful. I never thought of it like that. I certainly would not put a drink or anything on top of my Bible or lean on it while I'm reading. The notebook idea is good, but it's not as convenient to carry around and I'm prone to lose it somewhere. I have a case for my Study Bible with a pencil inside, and since I carry it around a lot, it's just easier to write on the pages (before I forget).

My grandfather's Agpeya is probably quadruple it's size since he bought it because of all his notes and pictures and whatever else he keeps in there. He passed away, but I love opening it up (like an ancient treasure) and reading his short prayers and words of wisdom (it's not all in English though Sad).

I think it's really just LBK who thinks it's disrespectful to write in a Bible; the other people who say they wouldn't seem to be more like myself, and have difficulty writing in books of any sort.

TITL

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »

Who are LBK's?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »

Who are LBK's?

LBK is the username for one of the St. Patrick icon-avatar users.

TITL

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

Oh  laugh

That's kinda embarrassing. Just ignore me.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »

I think it's really just LBK who thinks it's disrespectful to write in a Bible; the other people who say they wouldn't seem to be more like myself, and have difficulty writing in books of any sort.

Really most single volume Bibles aren't just meant to be written in due to how they are published.

It would be pointless and ultimately destructive.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TITL

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

I only read the Orthodox Study Bible and NKJ, but I wouldn't downgrade any Bible because of it's version. A Bible is still the word of God, even if translated differently. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »

Congrats on your 3000th post! Smiley

Really most single volume Bibles aren't just meant to be written in due to how they are published.

If God had not intended for us to write in them, then he wouldn't have divinely inspired people to break the text up into chapters and verses, thereby leaving blank space.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TITL

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

90th post.

OCD.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

I can't bring myself to mark up books in generally, and I especially wouldn't mark up a Bible.

The one exception I make is actually service books. Now, not nice books such as, say, the HTM Psalter or a Jordanville/STS Horologion. My parish uses the little St. Vlad's service booklets (the ones for all the special services like Christmas, Holy Week and Baptisms) and we'll make server's annotations in the margin so we remember when we need to prep the censer, lower/raise the lights, etc.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »

Who are LBK's?

Wha?!?!  When it comes to Icons, LBK is only the most knowledgeable poster to ever have graced our forum.  If he hasn't written a book on Icons, he could easily do so. 

TITL

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Icons? He writes them?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »

..., and I especially wouldn't mark up a Bible.

To me, note taking is vastly different than "marking up" a book.  When I hear or read the words "marking up", I associate it with a little kid making scribbles with a crayon or pen.    

My wife, God love her, gets bent way out of shape when I "dog ear" a page to mark where I am.  I must remember to buy some "official" bookmarks someday.  Smiley

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »

Icons? He writes them?

I don't think he 'writes' or 'paints' (whichever word fits your fancy) Icons.  He's just extremely knowledgeable about them. 

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »

If God had not intended for us to write in them, then he wouldn't have divinely inspired people to break the text up into chapters and verses, thereby leaving blank space.

Damn, had I realized it was coming, I would have made it more memorable.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »

Who are LBK's?

Wha?!?!  When it comes to Icons, LBK is only the most knowledgeable poster to ever have graced our forum.  If he hasn't written a book on Icons, he could easily do so. 

I could write a book on astrophysics, doesn't mean I should.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »

Who are LBK's?

Did I say he should?  Read the full text, think about it for awhile and then respond.  It makes conversation flow so much better, sport.  Wink

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

Who are LBK's?

Did I say he should?  Read the full text, think about it for awhile and then respond.  It makes conversation flow so much better, sport.  Wink

Perhaps you should take your own advice; I was merely pointing out that anyone can write a book on anything.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »

Damn, had I realized it was coming, I would have made it more memorable.

Remember that when you get to, say, 3,997.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: