OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:19:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am terrible at "converting" people  (Read 2112 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

I never claimed to be open-minded

That's true. What you said is that it's an insult to say that your statements make Orthodox sound closed-minded.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »

I have a question, because it was brought up earlier, do you really need to be immersed in philosophy to convert someone? Is philosophy even needed when it comes to Christianity?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:29:44 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »

Hi gonefishing. I don't want to tell y'all how to do your job, but quite frankly, when I hear Orthodox talk this way, it just makes you sound close-minded and myopic.

What you said is that it's an insult to say that your statements make Orthodox sound closed-minded

Okay, first I sound closed-minded and then I'm making Orthodox sound closed-minded?  Which is it?  I'm speaking for all of Orthodoxy now?  I've been to one Liturgy.  How did I get to wield that kind of power?

That first post is where you directed those statements to me, not my opinions or to anyone else.  That's what is known as an insult. Another said my opinions were 'nonsense.'  In another thread, I was called 'dumb.'   What are YOU making Orthodox sound like??

You're on my butt like a spider monkey.  Get off.  Stop insulting people and stop riding someone's butt when they disagree with you.  You're wrong.  Get over it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:36:38 AM by gonefishing » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »

Okay, first I sound closed-minded and then I'm making Orthodox sound closed-minded?  Which is it?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else; all I know is that what I said is that Orthodox sound close-minded and myopic when they make statement like those. As you can see:

Hi gonefishing. I don't want to tell y'all how to do your job, but quite frankly, when I hear Orthodox talk this way, it just makes you sound close-minded and myopic.

(Possibly I should have repeated the word "y'all" since "you" is prone to misunderstanding, since it could seem like I had switched from plural to singular.)

I'm speaking for all of Orthodoxy now?  I've been to one Liturgy.  How did I get to wield that kind of power?

That first post is where you directed those statements to me, not my opinions or to anyone else.  That's what is known as an insult. Another said my opinions were 'nonsense.'  In another thread, I was called 'dumb.'   What are YOU making Orthodox sound like??

You're on my butt like a spider monkey.  Get off.  Stop insulting people and stop riding someone's butt when they disagree with you.  You're wrong.  Get over it.

I really don't appreciate the way your talking to me. (Actually, I don't much care for your attitude toward non-Orthodox in general, but that seems unnecessary to say at this point.)

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

only line an Orthodox evangelist needs to know: "come and see".
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »

I wonder what they did when the Disciplina Arcani was still in force  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »

That's both anti-biblical and anti-traditional. But hey, how else would Orthodoxy remain the "best kept secret"?  police

Large Marge sent me...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »

I wonder what they did when the Disciplina Arcani was still in force  Smiley

come and not see (or come and see part of the time)? Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »

That's both anti-biblical and anti-traditional. But hey, how else would Orthodoxy remain the "best kept secret"?  police

As laypeople, we will most often end up misportraying the church or the faith if we do much else (as is often done on internet forums). Best for us just to get them there, and have them talk to the priest if they have questions/issues about the faith.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:15:44 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

That's both anti-biblical and anti-traditional. But hey, how else would Orthodoxy remain the "best kept secret"?  police

As laypeople, we will most often end up misportraying the church or the faith if we do much else (as is often done on internet forums). Best for us just to get them there, and have them talk to the priest if they have questions/issues about the faith.

I can't answer that without sounding like a prideful know-it-all, so... ok, nevermind  Cheesy Grin

Large Marge sent me...
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »

I have a question, because it was brought up earlier, do you really need to be immersed in philosophy to convert someone? Is philosophy even needed when it comes to Christianity?

I don't think so. I was converted more-or-less by having been everywhere else first, so that when I found Orthodoxy myself (not without first having been exposed to EO'xy in person, so I knew that was out there and didn't fit me), I had the necessary background to be able to tell that it this was something truly different than everything else, even months (years?) before I was able to actually attend a liturgy. I wouldn't rely on this method across the board, though...some people probably do need to be intellectually convinced, though that doesn't mean that it's any particular person's job to do so. For most, I would assume that there might be a few specific issues that they would assurances on (e.g., icons, the Pope, etc.), but these probably don't need an in-depth philosophical treatise for each question. For instance, I had some questions about the particulars of confession in the Coptic Church (not problems with it, just things I wanted to know to make sure that I could get the most out of it), and so Father just took maybe 5 or 10 minutes before we began to describe how it's generally done. Bam. Lesson imparted and question answered. I've found everything similarly digestible thus far: You have a question? Oh, here's how we actually deal with that when it comes up. Then if you want to know more about it, you can bring in the philosophy and books and all that. No need to bury someone who is so new to the whole deal in a bunch of intellectual tomes or arguments if you can make the same point using language you don't need to study to understand. That can come later, when the person is more well-rooted in the faith.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »

That's both anti-biblical and anti-traditional.

I think you're taking that "only ... " too literally.

gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

I really don't appreciate the way your talking to me. (Actually, I don't much care for your attitude toward non-Orthodox in general, but that seems unnecessary to say at this point.)

I didn't appreciate at all the way you were talking to me.  Pretty sure that's what started this whole thing.   If you offend someone, they have every right to be offended and will pretty much say they're offended.  Don't insult people in the course of stating your opinions.  That'll fix it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »

That's both anti-biblical and anti-traditional.

I think you're taking that "only ... " too literally.

I know, I know... but someone has to stand up for the large, silent grey majority  Cool

Large Marge sent me...
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

Here is a great video you can lead people to about the history of the Orthodox Church. The history is recorded in the book of Acts.
Also, the Eucharist is always a good point to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laHcgdE55Mo

Saying that I don't have a problem with most Protestants, don't push them too hard and turn them off. I'd just lead them to the history and let them figure it out. You should spend more time working on unbelievers.

1Cr 12:12 - For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ.
1Cr 12:18 -   But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.  
Thanks so much for that link! That's a very nice video.  Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: