OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:25:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Saints?  (Read 5989 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »

granted my definition of a 'saint" is probably different from most others here, but here are mine:

1.Abraham Joshua Heschel
2.Mary Travers
3. Andy Warhol
4. Mildred and Richard Loving
5.Estelle Griswold
6.Edith Eyde
7.Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley, Carole Robertson and Denise McNair
8.Harvey Bernard Milk
9. Susan B. Anthony
10. Cesar Chavez

Proverbs 22:7
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »

It does neither call him saint itself, nor mention any kind of veneration in the Finnish Church.

Correct. The reason is there isn't any.

Btw, do you understand Finnish language?

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

No other act or decision of a local church is considered infallilble or unquestionable, so why would the synodal glorification of an individual as a saint be any different?

It was accepted by other Churches.

In what sense? Any synodal action that doesn't actually lead to a break in communion is technically 'accepted by other Churches', but that doesn't make it infallible or unquestionable. The Finnish Church's use of the Gregorian Paschalion is technically 'accepted' by the other Churches--it doesn't mean any of them actually agree with it.

(I, btw, am not arguing against anyone's sainthood including St. Nicholas the Passion-Bearer's. I'm just resistant to the notion that any action taken by a local synod, including glorifications, is above question)

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »

The Finnish website only mentions the canonizations by ROCOR and MP. It does neither call him saint itself, nor mention any kind of veneration in the Finnish Church.

If they did not consider him as a Saint why would they have listed him on the website of Orthodox Saints? I couldn't find i.e. Bp. Kuncewicz in there.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TITL

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »

1. Baba Shenouda III
2. Baba Shenouda III
3. Baba Shenouda III
4. Baba Shenouda III
I don't have a fifth favorite saint.
6. Baba Shenouda III
7. Baba Shenouda III
8. Baba Shenouda III
9. Baba Shenouda III
10. Baba Shenouda III
TITL

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

Oh! I just thought of my 5th favorite: Baba Shenouda III  Grin

I don't why the OP limited us to only top 10; I could go on for 100.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »

I like all the saints.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

I don't; in fact, I find some to be rather detestable.

If only all the saints were like St. Isaac.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
TITL

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »

I don't; in fact, I find some to be rather detestable.

If only all the saints were like St. Isaac.

Sometimes when the standards are set so high, it's hard to imagine walking in their footsteps. I like the variety of saints. And although the majority are nearly perfect, others aren't, but in the end they're all in the same place.

I think if we only look up to the gigantic heros, jealousy is all we'll end up with. Sometimes it's easier to relate to people more like us with similar circumstances.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »

1. Baba Shenouda III
2. Baba Shenouda III
3. Baba Shenouda III
4. Baba Shenouda III
6. Baba Shenouda III
7. Baba Shenouda III
8. Baba Shenouda III
9. Baba Shenouda III
10. Baba Shenouda III

Hehehe. TITL...is this appropriate? Nobody loves Baba Shenouda III more than me (that's right, and I'll fight for that title!), but is it okay to list them if they're not canonized yet? Because if that's so, I want to put HH in place of Mar Mattai. Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

I think His Holiness will get there, sooner more than later.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »

The Finnish website only mentions the canonizations by ROCOR and MP. It does neither call him saint itself, nor mention any kind of veneration in the Finnish Church.

If they did not consider him as a Saint why would they have listed him on the website of Orthodox Saints?

That's not the official site of the Finnish church. Ortodoksi.net is made by individual Orthodox Christians and it doesn't have any official status. Of course there are Finnish EOs who consider tsar Nicholas II to be a Saint. I have an icon of him and his family. The fact is however that the Finnish church does not venerate him in any way. I wish she would but alas she doesn't.

The official site of the Finnish Orthodox Church can be found here.

TITL

« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »

1. Baba Shenouda III
2. Baba Shenouda III
3. Baba Shenouda III
4. Baba Shenouda III
6. Baba Shenouda III
7. Baba Shenouda III
8. Baba Shenouda III
9. Baba Shenouda III
10. Baba Shenouda III

Hehehe. TITL...is this appropriate? Nobody loves Baba Shenouda III more than me (that's right, and I'll fight for that title!), but is it okay to list them if they're not canonized yet? Because if that's so, I want to put HH in place of Mar Mattai. Smiley

I think he's definitely the exception to that rule. I'm not waiting 50 years to call him a saint Tongue

PS its so obvious that you love him just as much as I do. He's number 9 on your list (as a filler), and number ALL on my list.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »

Ooo...low blow, my friend! Low blow. He's #9 on my list, but #1 on my baptismal certificate.* You can't edit that with a few clicks of a mouse, y'know. Tongue

* ok, fine, technically that's St. Shenouda the Archimandrite (nephew of St. Pigol and accompanier of St. Cyril to Ephesus), but I chose him after abouna asked me how much I love HH, so I think it still counts. Grin

TITL

« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »

*I guess it all depends* on which one of us* HH loves more. *Whomever he hugs for* the longest time* when we get* to heaven* wins this game.*

*I made him a card*, so I'm* feeling pretty confident.*

*(I'm not going to mention {again} that you made him a filler on your list just to stop at #10, but didn't even add him until I posted. Your chances don't look so good, bud.)

How do these star things work?*********************
I'm not good at footnotes.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »

Hahaha. Oh you are just the worst kind of person. Cheesy I would have made him a card, too, if my Arabic was better. I don't know how much English he knew. Also, quit rubbing it in.  I was already jealous enough that you got to meet him and I didn't, and that was when he was still among us, so you can imagine how I feel now. Jerk. Cry

Well I don't know who will be chosen to follow Baba Shenouda III, but it's now my life's mission to track that person down and hug him before you get to. And maybe by then I can make him a card, too. Thank you, TITL. You have given me a new life goal today.*  Cool

* beyond showing you how asterisks work, I mean.

TITL

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »

Oh, yeah... asterisks, not stars! Duh.**
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »

Because if that's so, I want to put HH in place of Mar Mattai. Smiley

I'm sure he'd like the idea.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TITL

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »

Because if that's so, I want to put HH in place of Mar Mattai. Smiley

I'm sure he'd like the idea.

Who is Mar Mattai?

How does Jeremy know saints that I don't?? ************************
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

What is wrong with Mar Mattai, Michal?

Mar Mattai is, as far as I can tell, one of those "Pan-Syrian" kinds of saints who is beloved like Mar Isaac or Mar Ephrem, by everyone of that heritage. To probably belabor the point, I first read his story in a book by a Chaldean Catholic author, but the monastery that bears his name is one of the oldest Syriac Orthodox monasteries in Iraq, and maybe the world (founded 363 AD). The story of Mar Mattai is this: He fled the city of Amid (where he was born) during the persecutions of Julian the Apostate. He ended up in the mountains of Nineveh where he met Prince Behnam, who was the son of an Assyrian pagan king. During their time together Mar Mattai preached to Prince Behnam and also cured his sister Sarah of disease. Through his preaching, both were baptized, along with Behnam's companions. When their father (the pagan king) learned that they had accepted Christianity, he was enraged and killed his son and daughter. Later, he realized that he had made a mistake and in his grief over his loss and repentance for his sin, he had a monastery built bearing their names on the spot where Mar Mattai had healed Sarah. This monastery, like Mar Mattai monastery, still exists today, although according to Wikipedia it has been administered by the Syriac Catholics of the village of Bakhdida since they converted to Rome starting in the 18th century (before that it had been Syriac Orthodox, and before that it had been Nestorian).

I love Mar Mattai because his story shows how simple preaching can bring even a murderer of his own children to the light, and I find the connection between these two monasteries very interesting for what it says about the richness of Syriac Christianity in Mesopotamia/Iraq (that they would pass through so many hands, and be equally beloved by all).

I do not believe that it is wrong to venerate Mar Mattai, even if he may have done his work among the Nestorians. He is recognized as a saint by our brothers and sisters in the Syriac Orthodox Church, and this is good enough for me. Plus, what an awesome story!

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

1) St. Olav (my patron)
2) St. John Chrysostom
3) St. Athanasius of Alexandria
4) St. Gregory the Great
5) St. Maximus the Confessor
6) St. John Climacus
7) St. Gregory Palamas
Cool St. Constantine the Great
9) St. Seraphim Rose
10) St. Seraphim of Sarov

Forgive my sins.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »

It bothers me that no OO's here have mentioned Sts. Severus of Antioch and Dioscorus of Alexandria, and some of our other great Christologians and defenders of faith like Sts. Philoxenus of Mabbug and Jacob Baradeus.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »

For myself, I only didn't list them because I am much more familiar with the writings and lives of other saints, whereas those you are asking about I mainly know through the exposition of others. At least partially this must be because I'm new to the OO church, but I have also noticed that it is somewhat more difficult to find the writings of these great saints than those of others. Many are available only in very expensive or obscure academic works. Outside of Fr. Peter's very good work in the Oriental Orthodox Library (of which I own too few volumes, I'll admit), I am unaware of any economically-priced (and well translated/well written) English-language material on a great many OO saints or OO-specific topics. And since my church does not have a bookstore, I am pretty much stuck with used copies of Gorgia's Press books or similar from Amazon, e.g., HH Ignatius Aphram Barsoum's "History of the Syriac Dioceses, 1687-1774" for $6; my point is not to brag, but to point out that the book is only available in hardback, is only 123 pages, and sells from Amazon for $100.82, which is much less than from the publisher -- who could afford such a thing?! This is a problem for those who would like to learn but aren't millionaires.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »

^I understand. I wasn't trying to condemn anyone. I was simply making an observation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:05:50 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »

Oh, I know. I was just explaining one possible reason why some OO might not be as well-educated on particular saints who are nonetheless very important to us.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2012, 11:37:22 PM »

It bothers me that no OO's here have mentioned Sts. Severus of Antioch and Dioscorus of Alexandria, and some of our other great Christologians and defenders of faith like Sts. Philoxenus of Mabbug and Jacob Baradeus.

Our Cyrill is there, as is Athanasius and those two have said what needed to be said about our Christology  Grin but yeah I could continue..10 was a very limitting #

11.St. Abba Dioscorus of Alexandria  
12. St.Abba Severus of Antioch
13.St. Mor Yacob of Serug the flute of the Spirit
14.St. Fremnatius Abba Salama the Illuminator of Ethiopia
15.The Nine Saints that came to Ethiopia feeling persecution after Chalcedon
16. Sts.Abba Macarius the Great and Abba Pachomius
17.St.Abba Arsanius the Great
18.St.Abba Evagrius the Solitary
19.St. Ignatius of Antioch
20.St. Abba Tekelehaymanot
21.St.Amma Fikirte Kristos
22.St.Amma Kirstos Semra
23.St.Abba Georgis of Gatscha
24.St.Abba Samuel of Walddiba

these and quite a few more, through their writings and/or lives, in no particular order, had great influence on me. Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »

This is not a place for big divisive. But if you like them, go on and mention them yourself.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »

What is wrong with Mar Mattai, Michal?

Mar Mattai is, as far as I can tell, one of those "Pan-Syrian" kinds of saints who is beloved like Mar Isaac or Mar Ephrem, by everyone of that heritage. To probably belabor the point, I first read his story in a book by a Chaldean Catholic author, but the monastery that bears his name is one of the oldest Syriac Orthodox monasteries in Iraq, and maybe the world (founded 363 AD). The story of Mar Mattai is this: He fled the city of Amid (where he was born) during the persecutions of Julian the Apostate. He ended up in the mountains of Nineveh where he met Prince Behnam, who was the son of an Assyrian pagan king. During their time together Mar Mattai preached to Prince Behnam and also cured his sister Sarah of disease. Through his preaching, both were baptized, along with Behnam's companions. When their father (the pagan king) learned that they had accepted Christianity, he was enraged and killed his son and daughter. Later, he realized that he had made a mistake and in his grief over his loss and repentance for his sin, he had a monastery built bearing their names on the spot where Mar Mattai had healed Sarah. This monastery, like Mar Mattai monastery, still exists today, although according to Wikipedia it has been administered by the Syriac Catholics of the village of Bakhdida since they converted to Rome starting in the 18th century (before that it had been Syriac Orthodox, and before that it had been Nestorian).

I love Mar Mattai because his story shows how simple preaching can bring even a murderer of his own children to the light, and I find the connection between these two monasteries very interesting for what it says about the richness of Syriac Christianity in Mesopotamia/Iraq (that they would pass through so many hands, and be equally beloved by all).

I do not believe that it is wrong to venerate Mar Mattai, even if he may have done his work among the Nestorians. He is recognized as a saint by our brothers and sisters in the Syriac Orthodox Church, and this is good enough for me. Plus, what an awesome story!

I'm not sure how such great reverence is suitable for your announcement that you cross him out of the list.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »

Because the thread is top ten saints, and with him and HH, I would have eleven (and HH would go there instead because HH had more of a direct role in bringing me into the Orthodox Church). Smiley

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »

My top 10 saints are:

1. St. Katherine (or Catherine) of Alexandria (my patron saint)
2. St. Nikolai Velimirovich of Zicha (my parish's patron saint)
3. St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco
4. St. Mary of Egypt
5. St. John of Kronstadt
6. St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
7. St Tikhon, Metropolitan of Moscow and Enlightener of North America
8. St. John Chysostom
9. St. Basil the Great
10.  St. Photini
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »

--Bump--

I don't know why, but I wanted to throw my input out there. I cant put them in order, they are all in Christ:

1) St. Athanasius of Alexandria
2) St. Severus of Antioch
3) Met. Anthony Bloom
4) Fr. Matthew the Poor
5) Pope Kyrollos the 6th
6) St. Macarius the Great
7) St. Evagrius Ponticus
Cool St. Moses the Strong
9) St. Elder Paisius of the Holy Mountain
10) St. Theophan the Recluse

I love all of these Holy People. A few of them not canonized, but no doubt, they are holy men of God in who's shadows we will be safe if we walk.

I am a fool,

RO

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

--Bump--

I don't know why, but I wanted to throw my input out there. I cant put them in order, they are all in Christ:

1) St. Athanasius of Alexandria
2) St. Severus of Antioch
3) Met. Anthony Bloom
4) Fr. Matthew the Poor
5) Pope Kyrollos the 6th
6) St. Macarius the Great
7) St. Evagrius Ponticus
Cool St. Moses the Strong
9) St. Elder Paisius of the Holy Mountain
10) St. Theophan the Recluse

I love all of these Holy People. A few of them not canonized, but no doubt, they are holy men of God in who's shadows we will be safe if we walk.

I am a fool,

RO

You are wrong.  The correct answer is "St. Isaac of Nineveh, and the others beside him are all equal."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »

1. St. Gregory of Nyssa
2. St. Cyril of Alexandria
3. St. Anthony the Great
4. St. Athanasius
5. St. Symeon the Stylite
6. St. Ignatius of Antioch
7. St. Photius the Great
8. St. Cyprian
9. Thirty Martyrs of Sebaste
10. St. Gregory Palamas
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:26:33 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »

It's difficult to choose only 10...
Certainly, after the Theotokos first is my Slava - st. Luke, but they're from the Scriptures. So, in not particular order:

1. St. Sava
2. St. John Damascene
3. St. Anthony the Great
4. St. Mary of Egypt
5. St. John Climacus
6. St. Ephrem the Syrian
7. St. Nicholas of Myra
8. St. John Chysostom
9. St. Cyril and st. Methodius (it’s difficult to separate them)
10. St. Nicholas Velimirovic

And I'm waiting for the canonization of Serbian Patriarch Pavle

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Levsky

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »

St. Boris-Michael of Bulgaria, Equal to the Apostles
Sts. Cyril and Methodius
St. Nicholas of Myra
St. Panteleimon
St. Anthony the Great
Sts. Anthony and Theodosius of the Kiev Caves
St. John of Rila
St. Elizabeth the New Martyr
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »

In no particular order:

St Basil the Great
St Gregory of Nazianzus
St John Chrysostom
St Athanasius (my father's patron)
St Katherine of Alexandria (my mother's patron)
St Philothea of Athens
St Mary of Egypt
St Helena, Equal to the Apostles
St Cosmas of Aetolia
St Nectarius of Aegina

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

Ooh, fun!

Here are mine, in no particular order:

1. St. Moses the Strong
2. St. Gregory Palamas
3. St. Ignatius of Antioch
4. St. Seraphim of Sarov
5. St. Melania the Younger
6. St. Theodora the Iconodule
7. St. Mary of Egypt
8. St. Arsenius the Great
9. St. Anthony the Great
10. St. Abo of Tiflis

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »

In no particular order:

1. St. Seraphim of Sarov
2. St. Ambrose of Milan
3. St. Cuthbert of Lindisfarne
4. St. Benedict of Nursia
5. St. Theophan the Recluse
6. St. Gregory Palamas
7. St. Patrick of Ireland
8. St. Maximus the Confessor
9. St. Brendan the Navigator
10. St. Columba of Iona
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

St. Anthony the Great
St. Juliana of Lazarevo
St. Seraphim of Sarov
St. Mary of Egypt
St. John Chrysostom
St. John Climacus
The Fools for Christ
St. Cosmas of Aetolia
The Uncondemning Monk
St. Gregory Palamas

No particular order. Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Nathanael

« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »

Why nobodoy has one of the twelve Apostles in his list!!!?? That's awful!

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »

Because of this:

In your opinion, who are the top ten greatest Saints in the Church NOT mentioned in the Scriptures?

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Nathanael

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

Because of this:

In your opinion, who are the top ten greatest Saints in the Church NOT mentioned in the Scriptures?

I'm an idiot. -.-'. izvini
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:07:25 PM by Nathanael » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »

At least your zeal is a good thing Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Nathanael

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

At least your zeal is a good thing Smiley

Undecided

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »

1. The Saintly All-HOLINESS Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I
2. The Saintly Eminence, Emmanuel of France
3. Saint John Paul II
4. The Saintly All-HOLINESS Ecumenical Patriarch Dionysius IV Muselimes (the Muslim)
5. The Holy Fathers of the 3rd Meeting of the Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches
6. The Holy Fathers of the Joint International Commission for the Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church VIIth Plenary Session
7. The Saintly Titular Reverend, Killistos Ware
8. The Saintly Titular Reverend, John of Pergamon

i cannot count past 8

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: