OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:24:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The priest did not respond my email...  (Read 811 times) Average Rating: 0
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: June 03, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »

I sent an email to a Greek Orthodox priest one week ago and told him that I want to be received into Orthodox Church. He responded that email and told me that he would be happy to meet me and make a plan if I can attend Divine Liturgy in the following week.
One day later, I sent another email to him this Wednesday. In the email, I basically told him the story of how I was been drawn to Orthodoxy; I asked him what do I have to expect for the liturgy and should I talk to him after the Divine Liturgy is finished. The priest still hasn’t responded up to today.
Do priests, the spiritual fathers sometimes hesitate to respond emails for certain reasons? In this situation should I send him a reminder if he still hasn’t responded by Monday?
Some additional questions:
Do believers prefer to go to parishes with the priests they like? If they don’t like priests, do they want to change parish to worship?
Do believers tend to feel priest monks (e.g., very reverend Archimandrites) more spiritual than married/part-time priests?
Any significant pros and cons between small parishes and big parishes? Do small parishes tend to have more interpersonal interactions than big parishes?
Thanks for reading my post. I appreciate everyone's response.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:34:31 PM by Hurdle » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »

probably he is busy. it is the feast of pentecost today (in many churches).
small parishes usually have a bigger priest to other person ratio, which translates as more time for each person.
if u want to find out more about the orthodox church, it's a good idea to make orthodox friends, so they can answer some of yr questions as well.
God bless yr search!
 Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »

My old Greek Orthodox priest was pretty much next day turnaround on my emails. We would go back and forth, and it's a surprising because he had alot on his plate as it is. Or maybe I was the only one emailing him lol.

Do priests, the spiritual fathers sometimes hesitate to respond emails for certain reasons? In this situation should I send him a reminder if he still hasn’t responded by Monday?
I'd see him in person and talk to him.

Do believers prefer to go to parishes with the priests they like? If they don’t like priests, do they want to change parish to worship?
I'm sure it's possible and I don't see a negative in that unless there is some sort of canon forbidding it. If there is I stand to be corrected.

Do believers tend to feel priest monks (e.g., very reverend Archimandrites) more spiritual than married/part-time priests?
Eh I don't think so. I wouldn't really go to a monk if I was a married man because the advice I would get for a monk may not exactly be practical for a married couple, whereas a married priest would know much more about being married. That's not to say monks don't give good advice for married couples, they do, but I would rather take the advice of someone experienced in marriage.

Any significant pros and cons between small parishes and big parishes? Do small parishes tend to have more interpersonal interactions than big parishes?
I'd say bigger parishes are a little less "intimate" and don't quite have the money that bigger parishes have. My parish is incredibly small. I think the con for a smaller parish is they say cannot afford to be as ornate as larger parishes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »

Some people only check email a couple of times a week, so as not to spend to much time on it.

Proverbs 22:7
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »

I sent an email to a Greek Orthodox priest one week ago and told him that I want to be received into Orthodox Church. He responded that email and told me that he would be happy to meet me and make a plan if I can attend Divine Liturgy in the following week.
One day later, I sent another email to him this Wednesday. In the email, I basically told him the story of how I was been drawn to Orthodoxy; I asked him what do I have to expect for the liturgy and should I talk to him after the Divine Liturgy is finished. The priest still hasn’t responded up to today.

Try not to let it worry you too much. It's good if Father can respond, but sometimes there are simply very many things going on at once, and certain things may get a little bit lost. That doesn't mean your concerns are not important. Maybe try and contact Father again a little later. If you can go in person to visit the church office, that may help. Or, leave a polite phone message. Third, get in touch with a parish administrator and leave them a note, because sometimes the council gets to see him more often. I hope it works out for you.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

For some reason, Orthodox priests, as a whole, tend to lag behind the general population when it comes to e-mail. The same goes for Web sites and Orthodox parishes.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:21:40 AM »

Some people only check email a couple of times a week, so as not to spend to much time on it.

Some priests check email a couple of time a year.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:03:49 AM »

For some reason, Orthodox priests, as a whole, tend to lag behind the general population when it comes to e-mail. The same goes for Web sites and Orthodox parishes.

This has been my experience with many as well.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »

maybe u should write a letter with a pen and post it or give it to him.
 Smiley
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »

Dear Hurdle,

I wouldn't make anything of it.  He answered your first email and said he'd be happy to meet you.  I'm quite sure he is not snubbing you now. It's good that you have a sense of urgency, but do keep in mind that entering the Orthodox Church usually takes months (and for some people even years!)

You do not need to schedule in advance with the Priest to attend a service.  Why don't you simply begin by going on Sunday, or any other day when there is  a service?  One way to get noticed is to attend from the beginning of Orthros, you will surely meet the Priest and other people.  Since you are visiting a Greek parish, you can go to http://ematins.org/matins.htm and get a Greek/English translation of Orthros for almost every day. 

"Do believers prefer to go to parishes with the priests they like? If they don’t like priests, do they want to change parish to worship?"  One lovely thing about the Orthodox Church is that the focus is on God, and the charismatic personality of the Priest is not emphasized. 

"Do believers tend to feel priest monks (e.g., very reverend Archimandrites) more spiritual than married/part-time priests?" Another good thing about the Orthodox Church is that our married Priests can offer spiritual direction to people who are married and/or living in the world.  A part-time priest may have great insights about how to grow closer to God while working a full-time job.  Our monastic clergy are a great treasure but they are not somehow "better". 

love, elephant
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

I wouldn't be too concerned. I've sent a few emails to my priest and he has never responded, but he still makes it a point to talk to me every Sunday that I am there.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »

I used to get more responses with paper letters than with e-mail. Visits to the office are good, if you have time.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »

Some times emails can get lost or become accidentally deleted.
Worse, they can end up in the SPAM folder.
Our fingers often work so fast, that we can hit the delete key without realizing it.

My priest is simply overwhelmed with email. He rarely ever responds.
Since responses over the phone or via email lack facial grimaces and smiles, head nods, and eye movements, only 20 percent of the text message is conveyed. Our body movements give content to the text message letting the receiver see our emotions, discomfort, or joy.

Thus, my priest prefers to see his parishioners in person.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: