OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:40:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always wear your cross  (Read 2791 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »

Also the banya - wearing any metal in there is a painful experience that you probably won't do twice. 

I don't know if Russian sauna is anyhow different from the Finnish one but haven't had any problem while wearing my cross or earrings in sauna.

Hmm, maybe my skin is sensitive.  I think the Russian sauna is cooler than a Finnish one but it is much wetter so it feels hotter. 
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »

I only take off my cross if I think there's a good chance I'll lose it if I don't. I don't think I've taken it off more than 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years, just haven't had the need.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »

Also the banya - wearing any metal in there is a painful experience that you probably won't do twice. 

I don't know if Russian sauna is anyhow different from the Finnish one but haven't had any problem while wearing my cross or earrings in sauna.

Hmm, maybe my skin is sensitive.  I think the Russian sauna is cooler than a Finnish one but it is much wetter so it feels hotter. 

Casting a little water over the cross makes things easier. Of course one could always take the cross away but then again easiness is boring. Tongue

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

I take my cross off before bed since I have a heavier, longer chain than I used to (I keep breaking them).  I always worry that in my fits of tossing and turning I'll rip it off (I've done this before).  Other than that, I pretty much ear it always.  When I become properly hyperdox I will get a proper 20lb cast iron cross to chain across my chest and that I will never take off.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

When I become properly hyperdox I will get a proper 20lb cast iron cross to chain across my chest and that I will never take off.

Ahh yes, the idea that the quality and importance of an object is directly proportional to it's degree of cumbersomosity.. A most wise approach!
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »

I take my cross off before bed since I have a heavier, longer chain than I used to (I keep breaking them).  I always worry that in my fits of tossing and turning I'll rip it off (I've done this before).  Other than that, I pretty much ear it always.  When I become properly hyperdox I will get a proper 20lb cast iron cross to chain across my chest and that I will never take off.

After breaking 4 chains in less than 2 years, I tried a piece of ribbon (the kind used for Christmas presents). After about 10 years, the first ribbon finally broke. Replaced it and the second ribbon has lasted about 7 years so far. And I almost never take my cross off--I'm so absent-minded that if I did, I'd likely forget what I had done with it.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »

When I become properly hyperdox I will get a proper 20lb cast iron cross to chain across my chest and that I will never take off.

Ahh yes, the idea that the quality and importance of an object is directly proportional to it's degree of cumbersomosity.. A most wise approach!

That's longhand for "bigger is better".  Grin

Why stop at just 20lbs?   Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

I have no idea what any idea what you people are talking about.  My cross weighs something like .5 oz.

Tasting is Believing
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »

Piety is something you have to work your way into.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »

After breaking 4 chains in less than 2 years, I tried a piece of ribbon (the kind used for Christmas presents). After about 10 years, the first ribbon finally broke. Replaced it and the second ribbon has lasted about 7 years so far. And I almost never take my cross off--I'm so absent-minded that if I did, I'd likely forget what I had done with it.

I have found yarn to be the best in the long run.  When it finally snaps you can just re-tie it almost indefinitely.  I like to look of the gold chain more, but the advantage of the yarn is that if the cross is small (not a 20pndr) then you can wear it at all times for that extra noetic goodness.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »

Piety is something you have to work your way into.

Piety?  And here I thought you were into this:

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

Then again, I do know from experience sometimes a ring attracts people looking for nothing other than a short term affair.
When I was wearing an engagement ring (LOL) I had so many more girls hitting me up. It's got magnetic properties man.

I know a guy who wears a wedding ring, who isn't married, and does it to get girls. And he's successful at it too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

What can we learn from this image?

- Mice like to do rev. bb curls (I'm guessing here, but it's an educated guess)
- Mice don't like ez curl bars
- Mice don't like olympic bars
- Mice have strong (stubby) arms
- Mice like working out at home (notice the lack of clothes, something that an increasing number of commercial gyms frown upon)
- Mice focus on proper form (e.g., notice the wide stance of the feet that provide stability, the straight back, etc.)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

I always wear my cross.  Always. 

I did take it off to touch it to holy relics once...and it never made it back around my neck.  I had it in my hand....and then chain and all was gone.  I searched high and low, and asked everyone, and bothered the priest.....and nothing.  I guess someone really was in need of a long gold chain with a cross on it.  My godfather had gifted it to me....and I was broken hearted.

Now I wear a silver cross, also gifted to me by someone else....and it only gets taken off for a cleaning once in a while.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »

What can we learn from this image?

- Mice like to do rev. bb curls (I'm guessing here, but it's an educated guess)
- Mice don't like ez curl bars
- Mice don't like olympic bars
- Mice have strong (stubby) arms
- Mice like working out at home (notice the lack of clothes, something that an increasing number of commercial gyms frown upon)
- Mice focus on proper form (e.g., notice the wide stance of the feet that provide stability, the straight back, etc.)

You forgot (at least)  one further thing:

- Mice don't wear their crosses while working out

Grin

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »

I always wear mine, except in the shower. I switch to a wooden one when traveling because I don't feel like going through the TSA rigamarole with it.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »

I always wear mine, except in the shower. I switch to a wooden one when traveling because I don't feel like going through the TSA rigamarole with it.

I always wear mine, except in the shower, when sleeping, or in the extremely rare event that I forget to put it on.

As I'm not a mouse and don't work out, that's not a problem.  Wink

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »

great idea
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »

Does that include stuff like sleeping, showering, or swimming?

YUP!
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

traveling!
maybe the cross is why i 'beep' sometimes in airports. it's such an integral part of me, i hadn't even thought about it.
i always travel with empty pockets and my phone in my bag and no metal belts, so the occasional 'beeps' were a mystery until now...
 Roll Eyes
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »

Does that include stuff like sleeping, showering, or swimming?

I wear mine 24/7. Never had a problem.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

This is why we should be allowed to have tattoos. A tattoo of an Orthodox Cross would be a lot easier to have on at all times than a Cross hanging from your neck.

Facepalm.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

This is why we should be allowed to have tattoos. A tattoo of an Orthodox Cross would be a lot easier to have on at all times than a Cross hanging from your neck.
How are tattoos forbidden? Don't OOs get a cross tattoo'd on their wrist?

It's not part of their faith, and just because they do it doesn't make it acceptable.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »

It's not part of their faith, and just because they do it doesn't make it acceptable.

Kind of like all of those blood puddings Eastern Europeans like to eat.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

Kind of like all of those blood puddings Eastern Europeans like to eat.

Yes.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

There is a big white elephant in this room that married folk in particular could address, but I really shouldn't bring it up  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

There is a big white elephant in this room that married folk in particular could address, but I really shouldn't bring it up  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Don't take my ring off then either.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »

hmm, i know of british and irish people eating blood puddings, rather the eastern european people i know were horrified to hear of it, i don't think it's very common over there.
about tattoos, it is tattooing yourself in a pagan ceremony to respect the dead that is forbidden.
not cross tattoos.
they are cool, and make complete sense when the majority around u are trying to stifle yr culture, crush yr faith and make u a carbon copy of them. it's a sign of resistance against an anti Christian occupying force.

it started when children used to be kidnapped from Christian homes by their non Christian neighbours. when they grew up, they would have the chance to discover their former faith and return. as the kidnapping of adolescent girls still goes on today in egypt, it makes sense for the tattooing to continue. Christians who do not (yet!) live under such harsh conditions can tattoo themselves in solidarity, if they wish (it is by no means compulsory in the coptic church).
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Don't take my ring off then either.

Neither do I.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »

traveling!
maybe the cross is why i 'beep' sometimes in airports. it's such an integral part of me, i hadn't even thought about it.
i always travel with empty pockets and my phone in my bag and no metal belts, so the occasional 'beeps' were a mystery until now...
 Roll Eyes

I have the same situation Wink I take my cross off only for taking bath and swimming. Unfortunately, I lost my Orthodox cross 2 times in just one month during the last summer because it had fell out of the pocket (I put it when I was going to the beach).
Some years ago I've lost a medallion with the Theotokos, because the chain had broken. So I hope that I won't loose this new cross, as I was finally received into Orthodox Church Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Nobody give JamesR any money.  police

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »

I used to wear mine to sleep but then a two nights a couple weeks ago I think I woke up and the chain was somehow twisted and it felt worryingly tight so I stopped. Not really interested in getting asphyxiated.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »

I used to wear mine to sleep but then a two nights a couple weeks ago I think I woke up and the chain was somehow twisted and it felt worryingly tight so I stopped. Not really interested in getting asphyxiated.

Ain't going to happen. Have you ever strangled someone unconscious? Or been rendered so?

You really should enjoy the pleasure of both.

If you had, you would not worry about such nonsense.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »

Ya know, the whole getting a cross tattooed on your wrist thing has some appeal to it.

Tasting is Believing
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »

Ya know, the whole getting a cross tattooed on your wrist thing has some appeal to it.

Or you could just stick your arms out horizontally and BE a cross.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: