OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:36:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hands up in the air during the Our Father?  (Read 10181 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Menas in Greek, but Mina in Coptic and Arabic. It's all the same. Smiley

The Greek and Coptic are spelled exactly the same Smiley MHNA. The "s" at the end is simply an indicator of the nominative case. H is normally transliterated as 'e' in English, while spelling it with an 'i' reflects current Greek/Coptic pronunciation. No difference.

Yep.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »

It seems as if my comments in reply #69 have been validated by the continued nature of the comments here.

I can't imagine that many Bishops will have the wisdom to guide a diocese based on geography which contains a plethora of varied ethnic traditions without gradually (or worse yet, quickly) imposing the ones he was raised in or adopted. The chaos that will ensue may very well destroy many congregations if the intolerance displayed here is any indicator.

Bishops in North America barely have time to visit the parishes they oversee much less start worrying about such details.

Where is the intolerance here?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »

I cannot pass by this thread without Korn singing "Word Up" in my mind.  ("Wave your hands in the air like you don't care, glide by the people as they stop to look and stare...")

I hope that the next time I go to the Antiochian Church I don't have this problem and burst out laughing.

Usually in the Lord's Prayer I try to lift up my heart like the priest says to do in the preceding line.  The hand thing gets a little weird.  But like they say, it takes all kinds of people to make a boat float.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »

don't worry, the netodox are not the best indicator of general practice
 Wink
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »

I cannot pass by this thread without Korn singing "Word Up" in my mind.  ("Wave your hands in the air like you don't care, glide by the people as they stop to look and stare...")

I hope that the next time I go to the Antiochian Church I don't have this problem and burst out laughing.

Usually in the Lord's Prayer I try to lift up my heart like the priest says to do in the preceding line.  The hand thing gets a little weird.  But like they say, it takes all kinds of people to make a boat float.

KORN?!  KORN?!?!

That song is first and foremost a CAMEO song. 

This is just as bad as people buying the sub-par Glee! covers of classic pop songs and referring to them as "that song from Glee!".

KORN?!?!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »

KORN?!  KORN?!?!

This is just as bad as people buying the sub-par Glee! covers of classic pop songs and referring to them as "that song from Glee!".

KORN?!?!

I will grant you the Ruductio ad Gleeum, but I still think the Korn version of the song was the better of the two.  Sometimes the remake is just better.  I present "I'm Not Knocking on Heaven's Door" as evidence.  I still agree with you that most of the songs performed on Glee have been abortions.  (Note, that I cannot comment on any new episodes of Glee.  I am single now, and still cling to shreds of heterosexuality so I have not seen that show in over a year.)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »

KORN?!  KORN?!?!

KORN?!?!

I will grant you the Ruductio ad Gleeum, but I still think the Korn version of the song was the better of the two.  Sometimes the remake is just better.  I present "I'm Not Knocking on Heaven's Door" as evidence.  I still agree with you that most of the songs performed on Glee have been abortions.  (Note, that I cannot comment on any new episodes of Glee.  I am single now, and still cling to shreds of heterosexuality so I have not seen that show in over a year.)

It is patently obvious that you are a demon.  Please go back to where you came from.  kthxbai. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »

The only korn that is interesting is in the bottom of the toilet when I've had none for a month.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

KORN?!  KORN?!?!

KORN?!?!

It is patently obvious that you are a demon.  Please go back to where you came from.  kthxbai. Wink

Kthxbai?  KTHXBAI!?!?   Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

The first half of the first season of Glee was tops.

Then the music and money began to trump story telling and it went to hell.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »

With all due respect, Mina, it's possible that the *way* you do it is influenced by Protestants in Egypt.

Really? What then is the Orthodox *way* of holding one's arms at one's side, hands out?  Roll Eyes Apparently your holy EO bodies must work differently than ours, since we're so influenced by Protestants. But then, we wouldn't be the first ones. After all...

Look at this Protestant, hanging out in the 2nd century catacombs in Rome. It's disgraceful!

Another early Protestant, St. Agnes. Thank goodness we don't have such people around us today, Protestanting up our churches with their examples of martyrdom and improper limb arrangement.

Not you too, Theotokos! Is there no one these Protestants can't get to with their Protestantly Protestant Protestantizing influences?!

Yes, the Pope of Rome ... no wait, I just remembered that the Popes have been "Protestant" since 1054. My bad.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »

You've got to love Orthodox forums. Heck, we should label everyone we don't like as devil-worshippers.  Roll Eyes

Get thee behind me papist!

Well he has to defend it seeing that there is charismatic Roman Catholics.  Most of the guys in who live on that mountain in Greece who dress in those big black hats and black night gown thingies would probably agree that they are demonic. Id imagine the same with those crazies that live in those "monasteries" in Russia, or even in Jordanville in New York of all places! would probably concur as well. Silly backward monks. Live in the now already...
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »

With all due respect, Mina, it's possible that the *way* you do it is influenced by Protestants in Egypt.

Really? What then is the Orthodox *way* of holding one's arms at one's side, hands out?  Roll Eyes Apparently your holy EO bodies must work differently than ours, since we're so influenced by Protestants. But then, we wouldn't be the first ones. After all...

Look at this Protestant, hanging out in the 2nd century catacombs in Rome. It's disgraceful!

Another early Protestant, St. Agnes. Thank goodness we don't have such people around us today, Protestanting up our churches with their examples of martyrdom and improper limb arrangement.

Not you too, Theotokos! Is there no one these Protestants can't get to with their Protestantly Protestant Protestantizing influences?!

Yes, the Pope of Rome ... no wait, I just remembered that the Popes have been "Protestant" since 1054. My bad.

Well you should blame the Carolingians for that. Perhaps if they didnt institute the college of Cardinals as a form of a 'good ole boy' network,  then maybe laypersons of the church could have voted in a good one.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

You've got to love Orthodox forums. Heck, we should label everyone we don't like as devil-worshippers.  Roll Eyes

Get thee behind me papist!

Well he has to defend it seeing that there is charismatic Roman Catholics.

There are, but there are also some RCs who are very strongly against the charismatic movement -- although I don't think even they would call it devil worship.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »

Well you should blame the Carolingians for that. Perhaps if they didnt institute the college of Cardinals as a form of a 'good ole boy' network,  then maybe laypersons of the church could have voted in a good one.

Although I don't agree with the way Orthodox apply the label "Protestant" to everything they disagree with, I do see strong similarities between Protestants and the Carolingians: The Carolingians added the filioque to the creed without the Pope's authorization (even against his explicit instructions). Nowadays, of course, the Pope allows the insertion, but it seems clear that most Protestants would keep it even without his authorization.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »

Most Protestants would keep it because they inherited it from Rome and they don't know enough about Christian history to know that it isn't supposed to be there. Same with most RCs.

And I think it's a little bit of an understatement to say that the Roman Pope "allows" the insertion, as though he is tolerating something that should otherwise not be there. To my knowledge, it is not removable in any RC church that wants to remain in union with Rome. Heck, even the Eastern Catholics who do not say it are not allowed to preach against it...who knows why that is, but that's what they've told me.  Undecided

Tags: prayer 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: