OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Psychology of a Modern  (Read 363 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: December 26, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »

He doesn't understand why craving matter is wrong. He has heard reasons, and they sorta make sense, but couldn't God do something about the whole problem? What's so bad about being conformtable, he wonders.

He doesn't want to feel trapped by making a decision. What if he makes the wrong decision? Will he waste his life on a lie? Could he have discovered that it was a lie had he just waited a few months longer and explored the issues more? What if he is unhappy all his life and it seems to be for nothing?

He fears losing his individuality. The music, movies, and such that he listens to may have to be left behind. He's scared. And more than that, he just plain doesn't sit easy with the prospect.

He has moments of intense doubt, when he lets his doubts consume him and destroy anything of worth that has been built spiritually. He recognizes this, yet does nothing about it. He has a hard time believing in demons, for example; especially tough for him are ideas like that demons can influence people. He is too proud to believe that demons could do that to him. This in spite of his readily admitting that other factors influence him nearly against his will.

He does not want to give up control of his life, to give it over to someone else or God. He is not only self-absorbed, but also very self-willed as well. His "autonomy" and "freedom" are precious to him, even if they are just a cover for pride and sin. He considers his time his own, and doesn't want to be told when he should be doing such-and-such.

He tries to be logical and rational, but these are just a smoke screen hiding deeper issues at play. It's easy to be skeptical in this day and age, with all the information and intellectual freedom available... so tempting to pick and choose, or just to peruse the intellectual marketplace.

He enjoys praying. Sometimes. Then at other times it is quite dry and boring, and he falls into doubts... even despair. Does it really work? Is there a God listening? His self-will and desire for comfort and entertainment swiftly move in during such times, leaving him quickly ruined.

He wants to be sincere, authentic, real, yet how can he be when he deceives himself so often? What good is sincerity when it masks deeper problems that are not being properly dealt with?

He wants to seek the truth, or at least he tells himself that, yet he is afraid to commit. Afraid to have faith. Finding truth is not about accepting something as a person anymore, but is now about intellectually understanding something with the brain.

He wants to be honest and open, but often is to a fault. Look at this post he is making, for example. Nonetheless, he just wanted to say some things, to someone, somewhere.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »

LOL kinda funny  Cheesy
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

He doesn't understand why craving matter is wrong. He has heard reasons, and they sorta make sense, but couldn't God do something about the whole problem? What's so bad about being conformtable, he wonders.

He doesn't want to feel trapped by making a decision. What if he makes the wrong decision? Will he waste his life on a lie? Could he have discovered that it was a lie had he just waited a few months longer and explored the issues more? What if he is unhappy all his life and it seems to be for nothing?

He fears losing his individuality. The music, movies, and such that he listens to may have to be left behind. He's scared. And more than that, he just plain doesn't sit easy with the prospect.

He has moments of intense doubt, when he lets his doubts consume him and destroy anything of worth that has been built spiritually. He recognizes this, yet does nothing about it. He has a hard time believing in demons, for example; especially tough for him are ideas like that demons can influence people. He is too proud to believe that demons could do that to him. This in spite of his readily admitting that other factors influence him nearly against his will.

He does not want to give up control of his life, to give it over to someone else or God. He is not only self-absorbed, but also very self-willed as well. His "autonomy" and "freedom" are precious to him, even if they are just a cover for pride and sin. He considers his time his own, and doesn't want to be told when he should be doing such-and-such.

He tries to be logical and rational, but these are just a smoke screen hiding deeper issues at play. It's easy to be skeptical in this day and age, with all the information and intellectual freedom available... so tempting to pick and choose, or just to peruse the intellectual marketplace.

He enjoys praying. Sometimes. Then at other times it is quite dry and boring, and he falls into doubts... even despair. Does it really work? Is there a God listening? His self-will and desire for comfort and entertainment swiftly move in during such times, leaving him quickly ruined.

He wants to be sincere, authentic, real, yet how can he be when he deceives himself so often? What good is sincerity when it masks deeper problems that are not being properly dealt with?

He wants to seek the truth, or at least he tells himself that, yet he is afraid to commit. Afraid to have faith. Finding truth is not about accepting something as a person anymore, but is now about intellectually understanding something with the brain.

He wants to be honest and open, but often is to a fault. Look at this post he is making, for example. Nonetheless, he just wanted to say some things, to someone, somewhere.

Who specifically is this post referring to? ...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:25:41 AM by WPM » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »

Undecided

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:59 AM »

subscribed
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:33:52 AM »

Filed under: doing a lot in order to do nothing at all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »

Ha, yeah...
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

Ha, yeah...

Well I disagree with both you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »

Ha, yeah...

Well I disagree with both you.

I took it to mean that such a person is stuck in a rut and not getting anywhere, despite a constant (and at times even feverish) attempt to get out, which I think is accurate a lot of times.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »

Who specifically is this post referring to? ...

Himself?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »

The post was a bit of a change-as-you-go thing. I started wanting to talk about things more generally, then I realised how much it fit me so it became more about the issues I deal with specifically. Then I didn't want to go back and change all the "he" stuff, even though I know the final result might sound melodramatic or self-indulgent or whatever. I tried to say at the end that it was me, but I wasn't very clear. I also thought orthonorm would call me out for it being self-indulgent and self-absorbed, which is why I responded to him like I did. I also expected the words "gross, "motor," and "movements" to be in his post. I now think perhaps I shouldn't have posted it... just have a lot on my mind lately.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: