OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 12:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine Prophecy ? Agios Kosmas / Elder Paisios  (Read 5977 times) Average Rating: 0
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« on: June 03, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »

Hi All,

Has anyone come across this youtube link regarding Agios Kosmas Prophecy which Elder Paisios spoke about also, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qpT_ow3sc .

Most of the Prophecies regarding Constantinople is from honest an truthful saints and monks though the prophecies have been passed down by second or third hand writers its hard to prove wheather its truly there writing regarding the prophecies or forgery created by emotional patriotic people wanting the old city back.

I have also came across this site which list prophecies from Saints/Monks http://www.marmaromenosautokratoras.gr/The...ble-Emperor.swf

What do you all think about regarding the above links these prophecies are they true or are they forgery ? What does our church say about these prophecies and what do my other fellow orthodox think?

Cheers

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:39:32 AM »

Do not concern yourself with prophecies and rumors, instead repent.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »

This!!   angel
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »

Hi All,

Has anyone come across this youtube link regarding Agios Kosmas Prophecy which Elder Paisios spoke about also, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qpT_ow3sc .

Most of the Prophecies regarding Constantinople is from honest an truthful saints and monks though the prophecies have been passed down by second or third hand writers its hard to prove wheather its truly there writing regarding the prophecies or forgery created by emotional patriotic people wanting the old city back.

I have also came across this site which list prophecies from Saints/Monks http://www.marmaromenosautokratoras.gr/The...ble-Emperor.swf

What do you all think about regarding the above links these prophecies are they true or are they forgery ? What does our church say about these prophecies and what do my other fellow orthodox think?

Cheers

What they said.  If a prophecy is true, it will come to pass regardless of whether or not you know of it, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.  If a prophecy is false, you will have also wasted your time in learning about it, because it will never come to pass.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/turkey-moves-troops-to-syrian-border/story-fnb64oi6-1226411928913

Russia is a firm Allie with Syria.

The saints were right regarding Turkey.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:01:07 AM by psalm110 » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »

Please, provide a short description of the link. That is the official request.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:41:34 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »

I think this article voices very well my skepticism towards such prophecies from holy elders.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/03/controversial-end-time-prophecies-by.html

Note particularly what Elder Porphyrios had to say to Elder Paisios about the latter's prophecy.

My beloved Father Paisios, what happened to you? If Constantinople will be freed or not, this is the concern of the politicians and of the military rulers, and not of the monks nor even the archpriests. If the Antichrist will come, this must be the concern of the archpriests and it is their duty to inform the people. And when that time comes, God will provide us with illumined archpriests who will in turn illumine the people. We the monks, if we are members of the priesthood, we need to liturgize for the salvation of the entire universe. And if we happen to be simple monks, we need to weep over our sins. Now because of my love for you, and knowing how much you love Christ, I am giving you a rule not to talk about these things again out of your great love for Asia Minor and Hellenism.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:00:08 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »

I think this article voices very well my skepticism towards such prophecies from holy elders.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/03/controversial-end-time-prophecies-by.html

Note particularly what Elder Porphyrios had to say to Elder Paisios about the latter's prophecy.

My beloved Father Paisios, what happened to you? If Constantinople will be freed or not, this is the concern of the politicians and of the military rulers, and not of the monks nor even the archpriests. If the Antichrist will come, this must be the concern of the archpriests and it is their duty to inform the people. And when that time comes, God will provide us with illumined archpriests who will in turn illumine the people. We the monks, if we are members of the priesthood, we need to liturgize for the salvation of the entire universe. And if we happen to be simple monks, we need to weep over our sins. Now because of my love for you, and knowing how much you love Christ, I am giving you a rule not to talk about these things again out of your great love for Asia Minor and Hellenism.

+1

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:20:08 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:06:15 AM »

+1

Thanks

Sorry for bringing this thread up but I was just trying to find out exactly what our orthodox church teaches regarding this matter and other prophecy/eschatology.

Regarding the Elder Porphyrios comment to elder paisios, this was not elder paisios prophecy, it was Agios Kosmas prophecy regarding Russia invading turkey. Does the orthodox church believe in agios kosmas prophecy regarding this relevation? Or was it made up through the years from other patriotic Greeks ?.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:35:16 AM by psalm110 » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »

Why can't you satisfy my request? Is it too hard?

If you don't do that in 24 hours starting from now I'll be forced to warn you.
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:55 AM »

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/turkey-moves-troops-to-syrian-border/story-fnb64oi6-1226411928913

Introduction to the link,
TURKEY has moved troops and anti-aircraft guns to its border with Syria amid rising tension.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »

+1

Thanks

Sorry for bringing this thread up but I was just trying to find out exactly what our orthodox church teaches regarding this matter and other prophecy/eschatology.

Regarding the Elder Porphyrios comment to elder paisios, this was not elder paisios prophecy, it was Agios Kosmas prophecy regarding Russia invading turkey. Does the orthodox church believe in agios kosmas prophecy regarding this relevation? Or was it made up through the years from other patriotic Greeks ?.
I think the article I cited lays out a very sober approach to the matter of the prophecies of monastic elders, advice that I think very pertinent to your inquiry.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »

Hi All,

Cheers

I can't get on the link, but I love prophecies and they never cease to amaze me...especially Orthodox ones.  For example, the Serb prophet Mitar Tarabich said that holes will be dug all over the earth for 'gold' (oil), but the earth will say what you want is all around you, all you have to do is take it.  His prophecies are so profound and so true that they never cease to amaze me.

He's not the only one though.  I'm also in awe as I watch the world scene progress and the way it's conforming  more and more to prophecies. ..especially Orthodox ones.  As for the prophecies about Constantinople, well a monk that lived over a thousand years ago said:  "In the last days, Constantinople will belong to that tribe up north known as the Rus."

As for the Elder Paisios, he was told by his spiritual father the Elder Porphyrios not to prophesize.  Elder Paisios realized himself that so many prophecies attributed to him, were never said by him.  What he did say though, was that people shouldn't interpret prophecies by saints such as Saint Kosmas by themselves, and as an example he mentioned the prophesy that the Turks will go as far as six miles outside of Corinth.  People assume that the Turkish army will stop there and they'll be running to Corinth, but the six miles really means the six nautical miles.  

Anyway we should never allow ourselves to be guided by prophecies except maybe the one about the Antichrist.  NEVER, NEVER vote for a world leader, he will be the culmination of all evil.    And if one gets in, do not follow him.  What's interesting about this, is that for the first time I came across an article in which someone said that individual nations shouldn't have to solve their economic problems by themselves, and that we should have a world leader.  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:18:59 PM by Zenovia » Logged
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »

Introduction to the link,
TURKEY has moved troops and anti-aircraft guns to its border with Syria amid rising tension.

The situation in that part of the world is very dangerous, since it involves so many adversaries like:   Shias/Sunnis... Turkey/Syria... Iran/Turkey...Israel/Iran...Alawites/Sunnis...Kurds/Turkey...Russia/Turkey...Azerbajian/Armenia...Israel/Turkey...Iraq/Turkey...Egypt/Israel...Saudi Arabia/Iran...Armenia/Turkey...Georgia/Turkey,  and so on and so forth.     There could be wars going on and on and on, in that part of the world;  something that  will lead to a world leader who will also be a spiritual leader and who will unite all religions in order to have peace.  He is something we should all be afraid of.  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:53:55 PM by Zenovia » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »

These things will come to pass, but it is better not to speak about them. Those of you who know the prophecies of St. Kosmas, Elder Paisios and Elder Joseph should also know that each of them warned us not to speak of them, particularly to the military forces of the West.
St. Kosmas, for instance, says: "Through three narrow passes, Kra, Krapse, and Mouzina, many armies will pass to go to the City. It would be good for women and children to go out to the mountains. They will ask you if the City is far away. You should not tell the truth, because they will do you evil. This army will not reach the City; on its way it will learn that the war has ended."
What army doesn't know the distance to it's target? St. Kosmas is not speaking here of distance, but rather, how close the City is to being captured. Those who know what the outcome will be (ie, the Greek Orthodox) should not tell them the truth, but rather, they should feign ignorance.
The war is coming. Nearly all the prophesied signs have taken place- the Euphrates, the completion of the Via Egnatia, the "Anomaly of State", the debt, the tax on "windows and chickens", the "Surfy Man" (Kassidiari), the war in Syria. Only one sign remains- the withdrawal of the embassies- and anyone with any sense who knows the prophecies also knows what to do when this sign happens. What is written is written and will come to pass. Half of humanity will be lost, and the world will be unrecognisable. This is the 'kanona" because of our sins, and even the Saints and the Theotokos cannot stop a kanona from God. But afterwards, there will be a great flowering of Orthodoxy throughout the world- if only briefly, then the great falling away and the end of time. Worrying about it is not going to change anything. We need to repent, pray, lead a sacramental life and do good works. If we can't save our bodies, at least let's try to save our souls in the coming troubles.
"ει τις αιχμαλωσιαν συναγει εις αιχμαλωσιαν υπαγει ει τις εν μαχαιρα αποκτενει δει αυτον εν μαχαιρα αποκτανθηναι ωδε εστιν η υπομονη και η πιστις των αγιων"
"Whoever is to be lead into captivity shall go into captivity; whoever is to be killed with the sword will be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the Saints."

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:20 AM »

Welcome back home!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:57:33 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 05:53:33 AM »

What is reason of the Euphrates river in this prophecy ?
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:03:47 AM »

I agree !
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »

I apologize, I didn't realize what I had written is a repeat of what I wrote before.  That's why I deleted this post.   Embarrassed

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:41:23 PM by Zenovia » Logged
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »

What is reason of the Euphrates river in this prophecy ?

Isn't it part of revelation and the attack on Israel, or am I mistaken and thinking of a prophecy in the OT? Huh

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »

I'm just an Inquirer, but my policy towards prophecies in general is to not concern myself with them, since I know it would only cause me anxiety if I did think too much about them (and this is how I've always approached them--there are many Protestant groups who are all into prophecy, after all). When I do have to confront them, I do so carefully and with discernment. In some cases, I do so with skepticism, like what PtA was talking about.

In general, though, I try not to worry myself with them, live my life, and do my best to repent and tend to my own salvation.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »

I do like this prophecy. I smiled a little when they said i poli will fall into Russian hands. Still, after all those years, calling it i poli...

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »

I do like this prophecy. I smiled a little when they said i poli will fall into Russian hands. Still, after all those years, calling it i poli...

Saint Paisios was quite upset at the destruction and lives that will be lost in Turkey...as one should be.  Anyway one should never be guided by prophecy except in regard to the antichrist.  As an example,  the people that say Israel is in prophecy so we must support and follow up on whatever the OT prophecies say; rather than being amazed that so many things in the OT have come to fruition regarding Israel.  

These people are going to be deceived, because many of them believe that the Jewish temple which is gradually being rebuilt, is where Christ will reign rather than the antichrist.  The antichrist will be in control of the world economic system which we have now with the banks.  He will also be the leader of a world religion, and that too is coming about with this: 'All religions worship the same god' mentality that has become  prevalent... especially in Europe.    The Hindus for example relate their three dieties to our Holy Trinity.  

With terrorism and the theft of credit cards, everyone is being watched, and everything is being computorized.  All that's missing is a political unity in the world, and we're going towards that too.  Obama didn't go to the American Congress before bombing Libya, he didn't consider it necessary since the U.N. voted on it.  In other words, he gave over the sovereinty of the U.S. to the U.N.

It's certainly a world to watch, and a world to beware since everyone who worships the 'beast' will be lost.  I believe that with all these wars in the Middle East, people will feel that the world needs a leader and if what I have read is correct, he will be the most charismatic man that has ever live.  Everyone who sees him on TV will be mesmorized.  As a child he would have been a prodigy, and it's said that he will be a great philanthropist who will say he wants peace, but will end up throwing the world into war.

Never, never vote for a world leader because he will be the antichrist.  Shocked

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:35:25 PM by Zenovia » Logged
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

We do call it Poli, and even the name Istanbul means to the city in Greek.  I've heard it's absolutely beautiful, and the thought that it will be destroyed, regardless of what I think of the Turkish inhumanity to others, is upsetting.   Angry
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »

Double post deleted
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:04:46 PM by psalm110 » Logged
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »

Metropolitan Antonios of Siatisti - mentioned that the horrible events will first begin from Syria - has anyone heard if that before also ?.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »

the Jewish temple which is gradually being rebuilt,

Zenovia, this is plainly ridiculous. Last time I checked, the Moslem Dome of the Rock was very much intact. That mosque would have to go to make way for any temple.
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »

If the prophecy from the metropolitan Antionis is from him, and not made from some else. The events in Syria will lead to a great war in that region possibility with Israel involved. The Jews have the blueprints to rebuilt the temple, but they can't cause of the mosque, they have tryed to rebuilt in the past and have failed most recent I can't think of was 25 years or ?? When Mossad raided a radical Jewish movement that was planning on bombing the mosque and then to start the rebuilding.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »

Metropolitan Antonios of Siatisti - mentioned that the horrible events will first begin from Syria - has anyone heard if that before also ?.

Don't place your faith in what this Metropolitan or that Elder have to say about the future.  The prophecies of the past, St. Kosmas of Aitolos, have symbolic meanings and have nothing to do with reality.

I heard from a relative that an Elder on the island of Crete is predicting war between Russia and Turkey and suggests that people avoid traveling to Greece.  It's all nonsense and fear.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »

I have also come across many doubtful prophecies, often in the name of big saints. There are real prophecies, too, but they generally avoid giving exact dates, or precise events; instead they offer man a guide to a deeper understanding in allegorical terms. They probably are in favor of man developing his own spiritual discernment and being able to understand the signs of the times himself. It's not that they can't help foresee actual events, but we need to work on our own discernment with God's help in order to understand the deeper meaning and the bigger picture. They are not purely metaphorical, and, as we grow in The Faith they actual begin to have more meaning for us, and become like a spring for understanding. The book of Revelations is probably the most important prophecy, of course.

I have a blog that talks about our times and the end times among other things; maybe it would be helpful:
http://www.romanianorthodoxyinenglish.blogspot.ro/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:58:07 PM by IoanC » Logged

Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

the Jewish temple which is gradually being rebuilt,

Zenovia, this is plainly ridiculous. Last time I checked, the Moslem Dome of the Rock was very much intact. That mosque would have to go to make way for any temple.

Go tell that to the Orthodox Jews that have almost everything in place except the temple itself.   I would like to know how they plan on getting rid of the Dome on the Rock, or maybe I'd rather not know.  Anyway the Palestinians go crazy everytime there's an archiological dig nearby: Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPrvJTGePYs&feature=related
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:56 AM »

Don't place your faith in what this Metropolitan or that Elder have to say about the future.  The prophecies of the past, St. Kosmas of Aitolos, have symbolic meanings and have nothing to do with reality.

I heard from a relative that an Elder on the island of Crete is predicting war between Russia and Turkey and suggests that people avoid traveling to Greece.  It's all nonsense and fear.

Actually I can't see anything but a war between Russia and Turkey, because the way the situation is,  Russia will have no choice.  Its survival will be a stake.  Turkey has made every nation around it an enemy in the past years, and now even Russia...and all because of Devotoglu's foreign policy. 

In the mind of Turkey's leaders, we're not its friend or we would let them kill the Kurds, take over the Aegean and control Cyprus. They have made enemies with Russia over it interference in Syria...and who knows what else it has done.   They still want an apology from Israel for something they themselves caused when they tried to break the blockade, so it lost its connection with Aipac the Jewish lobby. 

Egypt, who Turkey has tried to align itself with has now aligned itself with Iran.  Saudi Arabia and Qatar who were with them in regard to Syria, do not want any interference from Turkey if and when a new Sunni government is formed.  So the only friends Turkey feels it has is its own kinsmen in the Caucasus...and this week Devotoglu has been courting them for that very reason.   

If Turkey has its kinsmen do in the Caucasus,  what it had its kinsmen do in Syria, then it leaves Russia with no choice but war, and it seems Russia is preparing for it.  Russia has said that it will increase its ground forces immensely, and that is something that it will need if fighting starts in the Caucasus.

I personally see everything that the Elder Paisios said coming  true.  He said  twenty years ago that Turkey will come apart, and today there are Turkish columnists that are saying the same thing, and they are blaming the government's foreign policy and its interference in Syria.     The Elder said that the war with the Kurds was the beginning of it.  Today, the Kurds have not only grabbed the area in Syria next to the Turkish border, but have even claimed an area in S.E. Turkey and fighting has been going on there  for over a month.

All the Western oil companies are signing oil deals with Kurdistan in Iraq, which means the Kurds are going to have the West's support in almost everything they do.    Smiley

psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »

Thanks for that information.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: