OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 10:36:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IVF Baby and the Orthodox Church  (Read 1277 times) Average Rating: 0
Logan

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 26, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »

Hello again,

About a week ago I wrote that my wife and I are having a girl later this year, and I asked about godparents. What I neglected to mention at the time of my posts was that our daughter is the result of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). I will not go into personal medical details, but this was the only way we could have a child of our own, and she is genetically both of ours.  We firmly believe that she is a blessing from God, and we are not ashamed of her creation. What I am wondering is, will we likely be hassled by our priest, or other church members?
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »

Hello again,

About a week ago I wrote that my wife and I are having a girl later this year, and I asked about godparents. What I neglected to mention at the time of my posts was that our daughter is the result of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). I will not go into personal medical details, but this was the only way we could have a child of our own, and she is genetically both of ours.  We firmly believe that she is a blessing from God, and we are not ashamed of her creation. What I am wondering is, will we likely be hassled by our priest, or other church members?

I don't know if you've done anything wrong or not, your post doesn't include enough information to know that (which is a good thing).

Here is a general answer to whether or not IFV is ok:

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/63/

But that isn't very relevant to your situation, since it's done.

Whether you sinned or not has no bearing on your child, who has not sinned. If she is not accepted by your Church in any way, that is a serious problem with the parish.

As for you, if you sinned and participated in the destruction of human beings through the process--then repent, go to confession, and be restored back. If you are in any way not accepted in your church after repenting, that is a serious problem with your parish. But there doesn't seem to be a reason why everyone would need to know personal details of how your child was conceived for it to be a problem in either case...

LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »

Logan, great answer!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: