OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 01:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was there a golden age?
Yes, the 1st century. - 1 (2.9%)
Yes, up till the 4th or 5th century. - 2 (5.7%)
Yes, till later than the 5th century. - 0 (0%)
Yes, but only around the 4th or 5th century. - 2 (5.7%)
Yes, but something other than the above options. - 2 (5.7%)
No, there was never a "golden age." - 12 (34.3%)
There was a golden age in monasticism but not in theology. - 0 (0%)
Not sure. - 3 (8.6%)
Not all that glitters is gold. - 13 (37.1%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was There A Golden Age?  (Read 1476 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

Out of curiosity, for those who voted for this option, what does "Not all that glitters is gold" mean to you in this context? Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »

@Pan Michał: I've expected something more from you than writing "I'm wiser than you" and leaving.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »

Out of curiosity, for those who voted for this option, what does "Not all that glitters is gold" mean to you in this context? Smiley

Some periods of Church history tend to be idealized in later centuries. The reality was often not so pretty. 19th-century Russia is a perfect example. In the Roman Empire in the 4th-5th centuries, there was enough bloodshed at the hands of Christians--mostly against each other--to make one quite uncomfortable.

It's not the same as saying there was no golden age. It's just a plea to be realistic about it.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »

@Pan Michał: I've expected something more from you than writing "I'm wiser than you" and leaving.

I was writing fairly long reply post, but something broke down, so I'll do it the short way...

I am not smarter than you, nor am I dumber than you, if you felt like me saying that, I'm sorry. Unions between Poland and Lithuania differed from that with France because of main cause (leaving aside smaller). KoP and GDL in their personal unions stated (and fulfilled the statement) that Kingdom and Grand Duchy are separate states, yet they share the same goals/politics and they shall operate together for mutual causes, and further tightening bonds between themselves. Union with France stated (and fulfilled the statement) that Kingdom of Poland and Kingdom of France are separate states that do not share same goals, thus one partner won't get involved (or won't do anything to involve one another) in another's external (let alone internal) affairs.

I'm sorry, I really won't go further in the discussion, because I was asked to, wrote the above because you said you've felt like being ungallantly leaved.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:19:51 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

I'm sorry, I really won't go further in the discussion, because I was asked to, wrote the above because you said you've felt like being ungallantly leaved.

As a co-moderator of that section I declare that you have not broken any rules here and are far from it.
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 04:00:12 AM »

As a co-moderator of that section I declare that you have not broken any rules here and are far from it.

Ok then, must've been about other threads in this case. Hard to distinguish politics and history, for me at least...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:02:21 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »

Ok then, must've been about other threads in this case. Hard to distinguish politics and history, for me at least...

On this forum "politics" often equates to "American politics".

Large Marge sent me...
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:42 AM »

You Americans don't know politics!

Quote from: Yoda
A joke, that was
Wink
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »

Well, no. All political discussions are moved there. But it is right most of them concern American politics.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: