OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:34:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: To help me sleep, I have to have...
the 'hum' of a fan - 5 (62.5%)
a sleep machine - 1 (12.5%)
a metronome - 0 (0%)
TV/Radio - 1 (12.5%)
Lots of pills!! - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To hum or not; a Poll on sleep-aids  (Read 333 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: June 01, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

Just a super goofy diversion, kids!!!!!!!!  

I find that I need the 'hum' of a fan to help me sleep.  My wife laughs at me when a storm will knock out the electricity because the fan stops and I wake up immediately.  Weird, I know.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:14:06 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »

Of the options given, I've only used the hum of a fan.  When it's cold out...or when my fan is broken, the fish tank noise is relaxing.  Copious amounts of alcohol has mixed results.  If enough then it works really well.  If not enough then the sugars just keep me awake.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »

I find that turning on the fan helps me.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »

I would have checked "all of the above" if that had been an option, but since it wasn't I checked "sleep machine." I have chronic insomnia, and I wake up at the slightest sound. I am on prescription meds for my insomnia. I have often thought about getting an electric fan to drown out the noise. Can you recommend a good fan that has a nice, loud, steady hum? I really think it will help me. Seriously.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »

What noise are you getting and from where?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »

Dogs barking, neighbor with his ridiculous car stereo bass pounding 24/7, children playing right outside my window, etc...

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

Dogs barking, neighbor with his ridiculous car stereo bass pounding 24/7, children playing right outside my window, etc...

Selam
Good grief. Are you in an apartment complex?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »

Selam
Good grief. Are you in an apartment complex?

No man, we live in a neighborhood. Most of the neighbors are very respectful and considerate, but it only takes one or two to wreak havoc. I've talked to the dude with the car stereo, and he has done much better. But the neighbor's dogs are out of control. I have no idea what to do about that. But I think most of it's just my insomnia. My wife and children sleep like babies through all of it, but I wake up easily and have geat difficulty going back to sleep. I'm on some new meds though now that seem to be helping. But I do like the fan idea.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:49:14 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »

Gebre,

My dear brother, forgive me if this thread brought up any anxieties; I didn't realize how serious insomnia could be.  There are some really great machines out there that produce all types of noises from a rainforest, thunderstorm, ocean surf, white noise, humming, woodland stream, heart beat, ... Before I was married, my housemate used one of these that he set to white noise.  He turned the volume up pretty loud.  He swore by it.  I use a small, portable fan/heater that produces a nice (somewhat loud) humming noise.  Another option you might try are comfortable foam ear plugs.  Noises don't bother me but light does, so I wear a sleep mask (the inexpensive kind at Walgreen's).  I pray that one, or both, of these options will help you out.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »

Gebre,

My dear brother, forgive me if this thread brought up any anxieties; I didn't realize how serious insomnia could be.  There are some really great machines out there that produce all types of noises from a rainforest, thunderstorm, ocean surf, white noise, humming, woodland stream, heart beat, ... Before I was married, my housemate used one of these that he set to white noise.  He turned the volume up pretty loud.  He swore by it.  I use a small, portable fan/heater that produces a nice (somewhat loud) humming noise.  Another option you might try are comfortable foam ear plugs.  Noises don't bother me but light does, so I wear a sleep mask (the inexpensive kind at Walgreen's).  I pray that one, or both, of these options will help you out.

Thanks brother. When we talk, I'll ask you more about some of these recommendations. I've tried the ear plugs, but they hurt my ears. I really think the steady drone of a fan might help. Insomnia is a serious matter, not that I am offended at all by your OP. It's one of those things that is serious but humorous at the same time. I guess it's like snoring, or narcolepsy. It's funny, but it sucks when you're going through it. But I think many, many people today struggle with a lack of sleep. I'm sure it contributes greatly to substance abuse.

Selam

age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »

I used to require a fan, but one day it died and I never got a new one. Now I prefer silence. I'm also afraid the constant noise of fans for years would give me tinnitus.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »

I used to require a fan, but one day it died and I never got a new one. Now I prefer silence. I'm also afraid the constant noise of fans for years would give me tinnitus.

Yeah, I definitely want to avoid the tinnitus. I can't imagine how aweful.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: