OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:20:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox exterminate other religions?  (Read 1443 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: June 02, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

I see a lot of articles of Orthodox being Martyred by Turks, Soviets, Catholics, etc
Wondering if the Orthodox have exterminated other religions too such as the Massacre of the Latins in 1182?
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:03 AM »

The oriental orthodox were persecuted by the byzantine empire and there have been reports of harassment against protestants in modern day Russia.

There was a norwegian christian king who lived around the time of the great schism who once executed a pagan chief by forcing him to eat a living snake which then ate a hole in his stomack from the inside.

I have heard of protestants being kidnapped in Ethiopia, something about land ownership and conversion to evangelicalism(at least according to Open Doors).

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »

The Norwegian King would have been Olaf Tryggveson (c 960s-1000) King from 995-1000

I'll have to check the HeimsKringla for details

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »

The Norwegian King would have been Olaf Tryggveson (c 960s-1000) King from 995-1000

I knew it was an Olaf but I couldn't remember which one. Thank you Smiley

Strange that Raud the strong was a Seid priest.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »

Martyrs of Pratulin.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »

[/quote]

Now Olaf the Stout was the one who was Christian and according to the saga won a disputed bit of land in a dice game by throwing 13.  But that's a different tale.  Wink

How so?  And I'll still check the saga when I get a chance.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

A number of evangelists among the Germanic peoples did. St Boniface cut down the holy oak tree of Thor, and St Willibrord slaughtered the sacred cattle of Fosite. Both (and undoubtedly many others) baptized people in springs dedicated to various pagan gods.

The Frankish kings encouraged forced conversion, partly (mostly?) to expand their empire. But still, it bore fruit in the form of native missionary priests, martyrs, and the explosive growth of monasteries.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »

How so?  And I'll still check the saga when I get a chance.

Seid was normally only practiced by women. It was considered socially unacceptable for men to practice Seid and if they were discovered they were often tortured or killed.
In the older Edda, Loki and odin accuses each other for being an ergi(effeminate, transvestite), Loki beacuse he turned himself into a mare and mated with the stallion Svadilfari and thereby giving birth to Sleipnir, and Odin because he is a Seid priest.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:37:10 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

There was a norwegian christian king who lived around the time of the great schism who once executed a pagan chief by forcing him to eat a living snake which then ate a hole in his stomack from the inside.

I can assure you this is a myth to some degree.

1. Snakes require oxygen just like any other animal and could not survive in a stomach full of liquids.
2. Stomach acid would kill it (especially as it entered the snake's lungs and burned the sensitive tissue).
3. Snakes can bite things but they can't bite flesh out of things, which is why they constrict or poison their prey then swallow it whole.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

A number of evangelists among the Germanic peoples did. St Boniface cut down the holy oak tree of Thor, and St Willibrord slaughtered the sacred cattle of Fosite. Both (and undoubtedly many others) baptized people in springs dedicated to various pagan gods.

The Frankish kings encouraged forced conversion, partly (mostly?) to expand their empire. But still, it bore fruit in the form of native missionary priests, martyrs, and the explosive growth of monasteries.

And before anyone feels ashamed about that, remember the Germanic peoples sacrificed people and hung them from those trees. I like trees but I'm not going to apologize for a second about cutting one down that was the center of an evil cultus.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

I can assure you this is a myth to some degree.

1. Snakes require oxygen just like any other animal and could not survive in a stomach full of liquids.
2. Stomach acid would kill it (especially as it entered the snake's lungs and burned the sensitive tissue).
3. Snakes can bite things but they can't bite flesh out of things, which is why they constrict or poison their prey then swallow it whole.
It probably is. That a Seid priest should be a respected land owner and at the same time practice Seid is highly unlikely. However it is still a fact that olaf Tryggvason forced many people to be baptized.

-St Silouan the athonite
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »

And before anyone feels ashamed about that, remember the Germanic peoples sacrificed people and hung them from those trees. I like trees but I'm not going to apologize for a second about cutting one down that was the center of an evil cultus.

Oh definitely. Sometimes extreme measures were necessary to break through the hard shell of pure demonic evil that surrounded those cultures. And actually, the pagan kings were often amazed by their fearlessness and respected them for it.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »

I see a lot of articles of Orthodox being Martyred by Turks, Soviets, Catholics, etc
Wondering if the Orthodox have exterminated other religions too such as the Massacre of the Latins in 1182?

The so-called "Massacre of the Latins," is more about marketing than reality, it seems to me. It should be put in its proper historical context.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

Now Olaf the Stout was the one who was Christian and according to the saga won a disputed bit of land in a dice game by throwing 13.  But that's a different tale.  Wink

How so?  And I'll still check the saga when I get a chance.

Ebor
[/quote]

Olaf I Trygvasson was also Christian. The kings of Norway had been Christian for several generations before Olaf I. Olaf I (not to be confused with St. Olaf II, the martyr, who came two kings later, IIRC) evangelized Iceland by threatening to invade it and put the pagans to the sword. They were soon baptized in the thermal lagoons and emerged as lukewarm Christians.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

Ansgar,

Do you have web links about the incidents in Russia and Ethiopia?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The oriental orthodox were persecuted by the byzantine empire and there have been reports of harassment against protestants in modern day Russia.

I have heard of protestants being kidnapped in Ethiopia, something about land ownership and conversion to evangelicalism(at least according to Open Doors).

It might go both ways. There are Protestant cults in Ethiopia which kidnap people, and then their families kidnap them back.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »

Ansgar,

Do you have web links about the incidents in Russia and Ethiopia?

I have a video from Russia(it's not very objective though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16EYUBumrg

I wasn't able to find the link about Ethiopia.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 06:30:28 AM »

I found it. Now when I look at it again, I can see that it is very protestant minded(they talk as if the ethiopian church doesn't believe in Christ) but I still think it's worth reading.

Former Orthodox priest kidnapped because he said yes to Jesus

22-11-2002Etiopien
 It is common that the Orthodox church in Ethiopia do not accept that its members switch to another denomination.

In early August 2002, an Orthodox priest, Fasilo (fictional name) from Arba Minch in the southern part of Ethiopia, accepted Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior. When the Orthodox community found out that he had accepted Jesus, Fasilo was kidnapped and held captive.

Members of the local evangelical church in Arba Minch shared the gospel with him. Their message touched his heart and he decided to give his life to Christ.

After his conversion Fasilo received training in secret by church leaders from the Evangelical Church. When they had completed the first month's tuition, said Fasilo that he understood the gospel well enough, and that he should worship Jesus openly. A week after he had taken this decision, the congregation gathered for prayer and worship. Fasilo was among them. While they prayed, came an unknown number of people into the church and went straight to Fasilo, who at the time kneeled in prayer. They took him by force and left the church.

According to the source, who testified about this incident Fasilo was "kidnapped". None of the members of the congregation tried to help him because they were afraid of these dangerous men.

After the kidnapping, the pastor and some of the oldest of the Evangelical Church reported the incident to the police. The Orthodox leaders also took a similar time going to the police and gave their version of what had happened, but went a step further by accusing the evangelicals to "kidnap their members." According to the source, members of the Orthodox Church locked Fasilo inside a small room. Although they told police about the place, he is still locked.

The priest and one of the students at our local courses had to go to court to defend himself against the accusation, that they kidnapped members of the Orthodox Church. Including the authorities asked them to give up names of people who would provide security for them, which is a kind of guarantee system you use in Ethiopia. Since they could not disclose the required number of names, they were both jailed for 5 and 7 days.

The case is still pending, and the members of the Orthodox Church still holds Fasilo in captivity. According to the source, the evangelicals Fasilo have not been not seen since the kidnapping, and police members were also members of the Orthodox Church, which has united with "not to find him."

http://www.forfulgt.dk/nyheder/2002/11/nyhed14/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:31:06 AM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »

I don't know about persecution of Protestants in Ethiopia. But I have heard of desecration of Orthodox churches by Protestant missionaries and converts. Again, equal hearsay

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »

--Subscribed--

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I found it. Now when I look at it again, I can see that it is very protestant minded(they talk as if the ethiopian church doesn't believe in Christ) but I still think it's worth reading.

Former Orthodox priest kidnapped because he said yes to Jesus

22-11-2002Etiopien
 It is common that the Orthodox church in Ethiopia do not accept that its members switch to another denomination.

In early August 2002, an Orthodox priest, Fasilo (fictional name) from Arba Minch in the southern part of Ethiopia, accepted Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior. When the Orthodox community found out that he had accepted Jesus, Fasilo was kidnapped and held captive.

Members of the local evangelical church in Arba Minch shared the gospel with him. Their message touched his heart and he decided to give his life to Christ.

After his conversion Fasilo received training in secret by church leaders from the Evangelical Church. When they had completed the first month's tuition, said Fasilo that he understood the gospel well enough, and that he should worship Jesus openly. A week after he had taken this decision, the congregation gathered for prayer and worship. Fasilo was among them. While they prayed, came an unknown number of people into the church and went straight to Fasilo, who at the time kneeled in prayer. They took him by force and left the church.

According to the source, who testified about this incident Fasilo was "kidnapped". None of the members of the congregation tried to help him because they were afraid of these dangerous men.

After the kidnapping, the pastor and some of the oldest of the Evangelical Church reported the incident to the police. The Orthodox leaders also took a similar time going to the police and gave their version of what had happened, but went a step further by accusing the evangelicals to "kidnap their members." According to the source, members of the Orthodox Church locked Fasilo inside a small room. Although they told police about the place, he is still locked.

The priest and one of the students at our local courses had to go to court to defend himself against the accusation, that they kidnapped members of the Orthodox Church. Including the authorities asked them to give up names of people who would provide security for them, which is a kind of guarantee system you use in Ethiopia. Since they could not disclose the required number of names, they were both jailed for 5 and 7 days.

The case is still pending, and the members of the Orthodox Church still holds Fasilo in captivity. According to the source, the evangelicals Fasilo have not been not seen since the kidnapping, and police members were also members of the Orthodox Church, which has united with "not to find him."

http://www.forfulgt.dk/nyheder/2002/11/nyhed14/

This article makes me sick to my stomach.  "Heard the gospel.. accepted Jesus.. give his life to Christ.." what do we do in the Church exactly, sacrifice our children to Molech and worship the Devil? This is pure garbage with a clear agenda to smear the Church!!

Like I said, there are Protestant cults in Ethiopia which either brainwash or bribe (or both) many people to leave their Orthodox Christian families.  This "article" clearly has a Protestant bias in that is said that "he accepted Jesus" as if in the Orthodox Church we worship the devil!! Lord have His mercy..

They make us out to be the bad guy, but in Ethiopia it is them who are the villains.  Again, they lure away poor people with bribes of food and drink and other material gifts, and then they brainwash them to go entirely against their families, against the Church, to join their cults.  Not all Pentecostals and Lutherans in Ethiopia are cults, many are sincere and also work in Muslim and "animist" areas.  However, there are some groups with a sick agenda and are quite literally cults.  I have known of incidents like the one in the article personally, and the people were victims.  They were brainwashed and kidnapped, just like what happens here in the United States with cults, and the families with the help of priests and members of the Church have to kidnap our family back from these devils.  I don't have beef with Pentes, but these cults are dangerous.  

stay blessed,
Habte Selassie
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:02:13 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

Well the Bulgarians were very zealous at destroying the last remnants of Latin christianity in the Balkans in the XIII century or so. One story has it that they were cutting the tongues of the priests that "read Latin".
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »

Well the Bulgarians were very zealous at destroying the last remnants of Latin christianity in the Balkans in the XIII century or so. One story has it that they were cutting the tongues of the priests that "read Latin".

OMG- Human beings can still choose to live according to their fallen natures no matter how perfect their religion!

That's why I gave up eating cooked food after mamma burned the biscuits that one morning....

Pax,
David
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »

OMG- Human beings can still choose to live according to their fallen natures no matter how perfect their religion!

That's why I gave up eating cooked food after mamma burned the biscuits that one morning....

Pax,
David
I'm still eating cooked food. But the fact is that the Bulgarians imposed the Slavonic rite on the Vlachs.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »

When I was in my white hot mode of evangelizing everyone to Orthodoxy I went to a friend's house to watch an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where a Borg cube showed up.

Once they gave their usual "Assimilate! Resistance is futile" speech he cried out, "OMG!!!! They're Orthodox!"

It was hilarious and we both laughed heartily but I knew then I had probably been a little too heavy handed in my proselytizing....
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: