OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "for crying out loud"  (Read 751 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: November 06, 2004, 09:31:02 AM »

Can anyone explain the origin of one of my favorite expressions - "for crying out loud!"? I wonder if it has a religious background (like a slightly similar expression - "for the love of God!" - and whether there is anything ungodly about using it.

NULL
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 04:36:46 PM »

hey erracht,

i looked the phrase up on the online etymology dictionary (www.etymonline.com) and it's listed under "cry", and it says about your phrase:
U.S. colloquial for crying out loud is 1924, probably another euphemism for for Christ's sake.
the thing about semantics and etymologies is though, just because it (may have) come from there, doesn't mean that in its current usage it has anything to do with Christ in its meaning at all...words and phrases change semantically over time. so, i guess it's up to u if u continue to use it or not...

~*Donna, a self-proclaimed linguistic geek Grin

hmmmm...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: