OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 08:02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing (okay maybe 2 things) I like about Protestants  (Read 1003 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: June 01, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »

One thing I miss about the Protestant churches we used to attend was the sense of community, and the opportunities for fellowship to build up the spiritual life.  I also miss all the volunteer opportunities to help out those in need.
 When I bring this up to fellow Catholics I get something along the lines of "well that's not what church is for.  The Mass is to worship and participate in the Eucharist".  OKay no problem... then what?  I typically see nearly everyone running for the door.  As big as some of the local Catholic Churches compared to the Protestant churches it's very sad.  The Proetstant churches with the fraction of the population aren't afraid of a 90 to 120min service, then to add some sort of study program that morning on top of that.  Then the'll also find time for community involvement, church wednesday night, etc
  Obviously not ALL Catholics are like that.... but between Sundays is usually stay-at-home mom's or seniors participating in the church.
  And again Mass / Eucharist IS important the fellowship of believers between Sundays' liturgy seems important as well.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »

As big as some of the local Catholic Churches compared to the Protestant churches it's very sad.

The Protestant churches in my area (when combined) are also highly visible when compared to the local Catholic churches (also combined).  Orthodoxy is not even a blip on the radar.  Actually, the only thing Orthodoxy in my area is known for is the yearly Greek festival.  The Catholic churches are really starting to make their presence felt, though.

And again Mass / Eucharist IS important the fellowship of believers between Sundays' liturgy seems important as well.

To be honest, though, sometimes I wholly sympathize with dispensing with liturgy and the Eucharist.  Sometimes it's really easy to understand how SO many people no longer believe in the Real Presence.  The whole process can be so unengaging, but I think this is our postmodern cultural conditioning.

Tasting is Believing
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »

It must depend on the parish, because I have nearby Orthodox parishes that have youth groups, men's groups, ladies' groups, service projects, weekday services, Bible studies, social outings, and all that stuff. I don't know if it exists but I'd like to see a Pan-Orthodox Scouting organization, myself.

Perhaps you can be a voice at your parish to start some of these activities?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »

I guess it would be nicer if Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches had more events and fun opportunities like you mentioned, but the truth is that the Church functions as a house of worship; the visible Body of Christ on Earth, not a club for friends to gather at. While many Protestant Churches do have this fun, friendly sense to them, I notice that it can and does backfire very often because many of them fail to use liturgical worship or really grow spiritually because they are only concerned with having fun after their service. Likewise, I think that respecting God in His Temple is very important, and I'm not sure if using His Temple as a place to gather, have concerts and be silly is really respectful. So while I do admire the kindness and fun outgoing nature of Protestant Churches, I do not like what it has done to much of their worship and I would rather have proper worship in an Orthodox Church with little to no fun events than attend a Protestant Church with fun events but lack of proper worship and theology.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

One thing I miss about the Protestant churches we used to attend was the sense of community, and the opportunities for fellowship to build up the spiritual life.  I also miss all the volunteer opportunities to help out those in need.
 When I bring this up to fellow Catholics I get something along the lines of "well that's not what church is for.  The Mass is to worship and participate in the Eucharist".  OKay no problem... then what?  I typically see nearly everyone running for the door.  As big as some of the local Catholic Churches compared to the Protestant churches it's very sad.  The Proetstant churches with the fraction of the population aren't afraid of a 90 to 120min service, then to add some sort of study program that morning on top of that.  Then the'll also find time for community involvement, church wednesday night, etc
  Obviously not ALL Catholics are like that.... but between Sundays is usually stay-at-home mom's or seniors participating in the church.

If you can't find opportunities to volunteer or get involved in your community in the Catholic Church, you're just not looking hard enough.  The Catholic Church is ridiculously involved with food banks, shelters, hospitals, schools, community programs, etc etc.. Just about EVERY parish has several committees which facilitate all of this.  Ask around the board, they will send you in the right direction.  Now as to Orthodox, we very well could learn from the Protestant and Catholic example of community involvement.  However, a lot of Orthodox are ethnic parishes, and we have an obligation to care for the spiritual needs of our own as well, so I can understand both priorities, however they are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I have always enjoyed the Evangelical's extra involvement in volunteering in the community.  In the US, at several times in history these groups have helped push forward to change the world.  The modern systems of public health care, public schools, and regulated public prisons all came from early American Protestant movements.  Catholics have of course always had the same kinds of institutions, predating the Americans even, but the Americans seemed to be more successful at a larger scale.  In the past I have always enjoyed working with Evangelical soup kitchens and volunteer programs.  We in the Orthodox can very much learn from their example, however, again it seems the Catholics already do a good job of this, so we could just follow theirs Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

I guess it would be nicer if Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches had more events and fun opportunities like you mentioned, but the truth is that the Church functions as a house of worship; the visible Body of Christ on Earth, not a club for friends to gather at. While many Protestant Churches do have this fun, friendly sense to them, I notice that it can and does backfire very often because many of them fail to use liturgical worship or really grow spiritually because they are only concerned with having fun after their service. Likewise, I think that respecting God in His Temple is very important, and I'm not sure if using His Temple as a place to gather, have concerts and be silly is really respectful. So while I do admire the kindness and fun outgoing nature of Protestant Churches, I do not like what it has done to much of their worship and I would rather have proper worship in an Orthodox Church with little to no fun events than attend a Protestant Church with fun events but lack of proper worship and theology.

Oh you mean be respectful like have wine socials in the narthex for new comers?

What I was talking about has to do with building up the kingdom and creating q holy people not playing dodgeball I'm the gymnasium.
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

Please please do not tell me that I haven't tries hard enough.  Maybe in your neck of the woods the faiths are different but around here that's the way it is. 
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Please please do not tell me that I haven't tries hard enough.  Maybe in your neck of the woods the faiths are different but around here that's the way it is.  

That wasn't meant to be insulting, but the truth.  The Catholic Church is heavily involved in communities, and has been for thousands of years now.  I am trying to give you sincere advice.  Investigate local Catholic parishes, and I am sure you will find some opportunities at community involvement.  In the Church they are called "ministries" so talk to your local priests, or parish secretaries, or find some of the board members, or grab a weekly newsletter and check in the back for contact info, and unless you live more rurally than the Unabomber did I am sure God will bless you with some Catholic opportunities Smiley

Community Ministries at Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church in McKinney, Texas
Outreach & Community Service
Ministries   /   Outreach & Community Service
Following the commandment of Jesus that we love one another as he has loved us, we minister to those seeking spiritual and intellectual growth, the sick, the imprisoned, and those in need of food, clothing, shelter, and the bond of fellowship.

We seek to help those in need in three ways:  Through our St. Gabriel originated ministries; through Partnership Ministries where we support outside agencies financially and with time and talent; and through our partnership with 3eMcKInney where we coordinate our efforts with other churches through 3e to leverage our impact on the need.

Now I wish MY local ORTHODOX parish had the same Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:45:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »

Who is talking about "fun events"?  At all of the Protestant churches I've attended in my life, there were classes on Sundays both for children and adults, in addition to the "main event," so to speak (the worship service and sermon).  On top of that, they all had events every day of the week for different groups to help strengthen one another in their faith (for instance, people dealing with divorce, or fathers, or young adults/college students, middle schoolers, high schoolers, etc.) and virtually all such things included Bible study.  The fact that a great number of Orthodox parishes seem to be places that are only attended on Sundays and special occasions is a serious problem, IMO.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »

Who is talking about "fun events"?  At all of the Protestant churches I've attended in my life, there were classes on Sundays both for children and adults, in addition to the "main event," so to speak (the worship service and sermon).  On top of that, they all had events every day of the week for different groups to help strengthen one another in their faith (for instance, people dealing with divorce, or fathers, or young adults/college students, middle schoolers, high schoolers, etc.) and virtually all such things included Bible study.  The fact that a great number of Orthodox parishes seem to be places that are only attended on Sundays and special occasions is a serious problem, IMO.

Well said. I found it strange how James spoke as though anything in addition to worship was just about "fun" or "a club for friends".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »

Well said. I found it strange how James spoke as though anything in addition to worship was just about "fun" or "a club for friends".

What I found strange was how folks can speak of Orthodox NOT being fun. I don't know about y'all, but we have a ridiculous amount of fun celebrations of feast days and holidays in our parish, and they are literally a blast! Oh we worship, but we also sing, and dance, and laugh, an eat and drink, and celebrate life together.  What I thought the OP was addressing was a lack of community outreach ministries, not just fun mingling events, but I could have been mistaken. If the OP  wanted fun events, his local the Catholic Church has those too Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

The EOC and RCC must have more social activities for laity..

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »

What I found strange was how folks can speak of Orthodox NOT being fun. I don't know about y'all, but we have a ridiculous amount of fun celebrations of feast days and holidays in our parish, and they are literally a blast! Oh we worship, but we also sing, and dance, and laugh, an eat and drink, and celebrate life together.  What I thought the OP was addressing was a lack of community outreach ministries, not just fun mingling events, but I could have been mistaken. If the OP  wanted fun events, his local the Catholic Church has those too Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I think you're mixing up 2 posters. James didn't write the OP, Dave did.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

No you are.

The OP was talking about extracurricular activities in the Protestant Churches which he mistakenly thought were lacking in the Catholic Church.  Then James went on a tirade about how Orthodox is supposed to be boring as if he were a stereotype of somebody's very stern Old World Irish Catholic grandfather and not a teenager  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »

It must depend on the parish, because I have nearby Orthodox parishes that have youth groups, men's groups, ladies' groups, service projects, weekday services, Bible studies, social outings, and all that stuff.

My church has most of those as well.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »

The modern systems of public health care, public schools, and regulated public prisons all came from early American Protestant movements.

What do you mean?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »

The modern systems of public health care, public schools, and regulated public prisons all came from early American Protestant movements.

What do you mean?
Here's a Canadian example for education: Egerton Ryerson. You'll note that his efforts are distinctively Canadian (understood as British colony at the time) - most definitely not American. But the point is the same that Protestant churches led the way in the founding of these institutions. Sadly, little of their religious influence remains.

Of course, here in Canada, the RCs were responsible for schools, hospitals, etc. to a greater extent than in the US.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:29 AM »

But the concept of public education and healthcare is much older. In Byzantine Empire there were such things introduced, even earlier propably.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:01:48 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »

But the concept of public education and healthcare is much older. In Byzantine Empire there were such things introduced, even earlier propably.

Yes, but those concepts never took hold in Western Europe.  Without the Protestants hatred of Catholics, we never would have seen public schooling become so prominent in America.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

No you are.

The OP was talking about extracurricular activities in the Protestant Churches which he mistakenly thought were lacking in the Catholic Church.  Then James went on a tirade about how Orthodox is supposed to be boring as if he were a stereotype of somebody's very stern Old World Irish Catholic grandfather and not a teenager  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Actually, I think you missed JamesR's use of dichotomy to make a rhetorical point. As I read him, IF he had no alternative but to choose between proper worship but no fun events on the one hand and fun events without proper worship on the other, he would choose the former (as would I). JamesR didn't say that Orthodoxy is not supposed to have fun events.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

Who is talking about "fun events"?  At all of the Protestant churches I've attended in my life, there were classes on Sundays both for children and adults, in addition to the "main event," so to speak (the worship service and sermon).  On top of that, they all had events every day of the week for different groups to help strengthen one another in their faith (for instance, people dealing with divorce, or fathers, or young adults/college students, middle schoolers, high schoolers, etc.) and virtually all such things included Bible study.
1. JamesR didn't make a generalization here. He spoke only of "many" Protestant churches and made no attempt to speak of the "many" as though they were somehow representative of all.
2. How many Protestant churches have you attended, since it seems as if you may be making the generalization here, one that ignores the fact that what JamesR stated may be an accurate observation?

The fact that a great number of Orthodox parishes seem to be places that are only attended on Sundays and special occasions is a serious problem, IMO.
And how do you know this to be true?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »

Who is talking about "fun events"?  At all of the Protestant churches I've attended in my life, there were classes on Sundays both for children and adults, in addition to the "main event," so to speak (the worship service and sermon).  On top of that, they all had events every day of the week for different groups to help strengthen one another in their faith (for instance, people dealing with divorce, or fathers, or young adults/college students, middle schoolers, high schoolers, etc.) and virtually all such things included Bible study.
1. JamesR didn't make a generalization here. He spoke only of "many" Protestant churches and made no attempt to speak of the "many" as though they were somehow representative of all.
2. How many Protestant churches have you attended, since it seems as if you may be making the generalization here, one that ignores the fact that what JamesR stated may be an accurate observation?

The fact that a great number of Orthodox parishes seem to be places that are only attended on Sundays and special occasions is a serious problem, IMO.
And how do you know this to be true?

I wasn't saying that JamesR was speaking about all Protestant churches (though judging from other posts he's made about Protestants, I'd not be surprised in the least if he was), but rather correcting what I saw as a misunderstanding of the OP.  He seemed to think the OP was disappointed that there aren't rock concerts and laser tag at his church.  The OP seemed - to me - to be speaking about the various small groups that Protestant churches generally have.  You should work on your reading comprehension.

There have been three Protestant churches I have regularly attended in my life, spending several years at one, then a few years at another, and another few years at the third.  All of them (despite drawing quite different people) had the activities I was speaking about.  Further, I've attended many other Protestant churches with friends at various points, and those churches also had such activities.  What, precisely, is the observation JamesR made?  His "observation" is foolish because it is assuming Protestants are operating with the same sort of presumptions about the Church and churches that the Orthodox operate under. 

And how do I know what to be true?  How do I know that a great number of Orthodox parishes seem to be places that no one gathers except on Sundays and special occasions?  Well, the word I bolded in the previous sentence should be all the proof you need to know that my sentence was perfectly accurate.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »

To be honest, though, sometimes I wholly sympathize with dispensing with liturgy and the Eucharist.

John 6.

Oh wait, that's right, eating flesh and drinking blood is a "metaphor" for, what, living an ethical life -- or something?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: