OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:23:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Christians who are former Mormons?  (Read 671 times) Average Rating: 0
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« on: June 01, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »

Hello everyone,

I left the Mormon faith quite some time ago, and have been investigating the Orthodox faith for about a year now. I would very much like to find other former Mormons who have converted to Orthodoxy who would be willing to dialogue with me since they may better relate to my situation.

Thanks everyone, and I apologize if this topic is better suited for a different forum category.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »

May I ask why you left the Mormon faith and what was the reaction?

IIRC our moderator Thomas was a former Mormon and I'm trying to think who else. Hopefully he can chime in.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »

Goog to see you on this form truthseeker32. I hope you can find additional sources for your questions.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
truthseeker32
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »

May I ask why you left the Mormon faith and what was the reaction?

IIRC our moderator Thomas was a former Mormon and I'm trying to think who else. Hopefully he can chime in.
For me, the LDS faith has many problematic issues that, individually, were not so difficult to handle. However, altogether I felt I had no choice but to admit to myself that I could no longer believe in the faith's doctrine.

At first I would say to myself "but I know a lot of very intelligent people who are able to remain LDS" so I too tried to find a way to make it work. However, what I found was the arguments people made for remaining LDS were not doctrinally based. Instead they argued things like "the church does a lot of good things", "the church helps me to be a better person", and "there isn't anything better out there." Thus I began looking for a faith that had truth rather than the qualities of a nice non-profit organization.
soderquj

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »

There are a lot on intelligent people in Mormonism. It has nothing to do with that. It usually has to do with not seeing the truth, family commitments, the teaching that unless you do what is required you will be separated from they for eternity, the prospect of reaching godhood, that you can earn salvation by what you!

There is a tendency to conform, pressure from relatives,  and the community at large to stay the course regardless of what you really think.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »

I'm glad you left the Morman faith! It takes a lot of courage to leave a faith that is so family oriented with the pressure from relatives and friends and all. If you do not mind me asking, what was the biggest reason why you converted?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
soderquj

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »

Truth, I only saw inconsistencies with the things I was being taught.  At that time a lot of emphasis on Joseph Smith (seemed to me as a form of worship), strick adherence without question to current church doctrine. Actually there was not one single thing that caused me to turm away, over all it just did not add up for me.

Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »

Truth Seeker,

I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints from 1972 to 1988. I left upon realizing simply that I did not believe what the LDS Church taught and that to remain in such a Church would be a travesty for them and for me. I believe I was drawn out by the prayers of family and friends (only 1 of then was Eastern Orthodox). It was my desire to find the true Church of  Jesus Christ as evidenced by the teachings of the Church Fathers and the study of the Resurrection letters of St. Athanasius translated by the Father Jack Sparks of blessed memory that led me to the Orthodox Church. The patience and fellowship of a wonderfully welcoming Greek Orthodox Church in El Paso TX and the follow up with other Orthodox parishes after my chrismation as I moved around the country. When I have spoken to former Mormons who have been to the Temple I have been advised that the best  way to get a Mormon out of the Mormon Church is to pray that the Holy Spirit lead them out. I have met several former Mormons who are now in the Orthodox Church and with most of them, like me, it was the power of prayer by  friends who were praying for them that actually removed the blinders that bound them to the LDS  Church and eventually led them to the Orthodox Church.

The teachings of the Mormon Church are  very complicated, one thinks they are understanding what they say only to find that they are using a "Mormonism" (a word used by Christians but defined differently in the LDS Church than it is for Catholics, Protestants, or Orthodox Christians). Very Subtle doctrine and dogma is taught only in the LDS Temple to those who are being "Endowed" with the secret knowledge or wisdom of Mormonism (yes it is a gnostic or secret knowledge cult). As far as I know there are four levels (there may be more) of knowledge in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)".
Level One -]The public Knowledge or Missionary Mormonism, this level is taught in the open and consists of lessons that use written scripts and  missionaries who come to your home to proselytize the non- Mormon.
Level Two- The Newly Converted Mormon goes through special classes to further educate themselves about LDS teachings, biblical interpretations, indoctrination, Mormon culture and traditions, etc.
Level Three- The Endowed Mormon  - this is for Mormons who are going on Mission or getting Married. Here a Mormon is taught what he must do at the time of death to get into the Celestial Kingdom, Special signs, tokens, and passwords are given. marital couples are "sealed" for all eternity. Terms and words are  seen in connection with the Temple Ritual stories that lead to a change of how one sees what he has been previously taught at level 1 & 2. At this level the Mormon has been given secret or "sacred" information that he will not reveal except in the Temple and at the end of his life. Only endowed Mormons have the opportunity to become gods and enter into the Celestial Kingdom as gods and not as a servant.
Level Four- Calling and Election made sure/ I must admit all that I know of this level is hearsay (I did not have my "calling and election made sure" before I left the LDS Church). As I understand it, at that point one is given absolute knowledge of Christ and Who he is, similar to what Joseph Smith had in his visions. From that point on, the individual is responsible for his own sins, he has grown past the need for Christ to save him. If he dies pure and holy he will be a god. As a Temple President at the Swiss Temple once told me, "those who have been called do not speak of it and those who speak of it have not been called."

I offer everyday a prayer for those who are in the LDS  Church that their blinders fall off and they are led by the Holy Spirit into the fold of the Holy Orthodox Church of Jesus Christ.

Thomas

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:36:22 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: Mormonism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: