OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Church Is a Strong Voice Opposing Intervention in Syria  (Read 2767 times) Average Rating: 0
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »

The attorney's point would be better received if the forces that are actually changing Syria were as secular and democractically-minded as she is. Unfortunately, back here in reality the slogan of the rebels is still "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to the coffin". Now who's really to be faulted for not being on board with the idea of a new, more equitable Syria? Not the Christians, who have already been forced by the rebels to flee Homs, Al-Qusayr, etc.

If my memory serves me correctly the original protests in Syria were democracy-inspired, secular and peaceful. I am grateful for Habte's and faithcmbs9's posts in this thread.
One man, one vote, one election.

My recollection, the reforms that were desired were the ones that Assad was promising but never fulfilled. The one election, is pure Ialmisry. I am a great admirer of your concise conjectures.

The US State Department seems to have the same recollection (http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2011/nea/186449.htm):
Yes, and the US State Department never lies.

Are you referring to nuanced statements (which is par for the course), or to the fact that the state department doesn't pay much attention to these statements when it conflicts with short term goals, or are you seeing outright lies in the statements about Syria? Just curious here.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I saw on the news last night that Russia is sending attack helicopters to Assad.  Looks like they are putting their money where their mouth is.  Good for them.
Lord have His Mercy!! Just what the region needed, even MORE weapons of violence and destruction, that is sure to bring about a peaceful solution.

Also, at least now we see where the Russian's bottom line is, they could care less about the Christians, Russia is only interesting in selling arms and oil, lets just get that straight and out in the air.  If Assad goes, mark my words, Russia will continue to honor its multi-billion dollar arms contracts with the next guys Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:00:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I saw on the news last night that Russia is sending attack helicopters to Assad.  Looks like they are putting their money where their mouth is.  Good for them.
Lord have His Mercy!! Just what the region needed, even MORE weapons of violence and destruction, that is sure to bring about a peaceful solution.

Also, at least now we see where the Russian's bottom line is, they could care less about the Christians, Russia is only interesting in selling arms and oil, lets just get that straight and out in the air.  If Assad goes, mark my words, Russia will continue to honor its multi-billion dollar arms contracts with the next guys Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I agree that there are better ways for the Russians to deal with this.  Helicopters are exceptionally useful against armoured targets, but for the moment, this is something that the insurgents lack.  Better to wait for them to make good of their promises of "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to the grave", just to limit collateral damage, then give them a dose of Sarin or Victor X-Ray.  Bad publicity, but it works quick!   Wink

How exactly would you recommend Assad deal with these insurgents and protect ethnic minorities from the depredations of the insurgents?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

I agree that there are better ways for the Russians to deal with this.  Helicopters are exceptionally useful against armoured targets, but for the moment, this is something that the insurgents lack.  Better to wait for them to make good of their promises of "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to the grave", just to limit collateral damage, then give them a dose of Sarin or Victor X-Ray.  Bad publicity, but it works quick!   Wink

How exactly would you recommend Assad deal with these insurgents and protect ethnic minorities from the depredations of the insurgents?

I told you, Assad may have the power to do what ever he likes, but with the constantly escalating uprising in Syria, he also clearly lacks the authority with Syrian people.  So, the only thing I recommend for Assad to do is to step down.  Had he stepped down a year ago, he could have been replaced by an Alawite from his ranks and the tension could have been mediated.  However, now that the Islamists have been provoked, we are in an all-or-nothing civil war.  Remember that ordinary Syrians began this movement with civil disobedience.  Assad's government reacted with overwhelming force to quell the political movement.  Not only did it not stop the protests, but it then provoked the Islamists militias who have ALWAYS existed in Syria, and who were simply waiting to exploit a moment of chaos. Simply stated, I don't believe that the common Syrian people want a radicalised Islamic society, but they also clearly do not want Assad, he has become a symbol of everything they don't like.

I am not a Syrian, and I don't pretend to know all the complex geopolitical and region logistics about what militia controls what, so I have no strategy to suggest.  But as an outside observer, it is clear that the Assad regime has lost all its authority in the eyes of the people, and I'd be willing to wager that if he stepped down, the violence would subside a bit to reasonably controllable levels.  Further, I concede sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omlette, but here is the catch, it only counts if people trust and respect the chef.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I agree that there are better ways for the Russians to deal with this.  Helicopters are exceptionally useful against armoured targets, but for the moment, this is something that the insurgents lack.  Better to wait for them to make good of their promises of "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to the grave", just to limit collateral damage, then give them a dose of Sarin or Victor X-Ray.  Bad publicity, but it works quick!   Wink

Our State Department had certain plans about Syria but Russia, with it's more concise knowledge and experiences in the area turned them upside down.  As the saying goes, those who forget their history is bound to repeat it.  Well Russia is looking well at it's history, and has no intention of having it repeated...nor is Syria.  

Anyway the areas that Turkey seems to have its eyes on in Syria, is being ethnically cleansed of its Christians.  They were given a warning to leave from the minarets.  Now a little history.  When Turkey wants to claim an area, it goes about increasing it's own population while at the same time ethnically cleansing the Christian population... and/or anyone else that might hinder them from annexing the area.  This happened not only in Asia Minor where they ethnically cleansed the Christians, but also with the city of Alexendretta in Syria.  

When Turkey wanted to take city which was under French control, it told the Turks to move there so that when the census was taken,  the Turkish population became greater than that of the Arabs.  France  was thus fooled into giving it to Turkey and it is something the Syrians will never forget...if one should wonder why Assad has been so vicious and hard on the city of Homs with its mostly Turkoman population.  Huh
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:44:27 PM by Zenovia » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »

The attorney's point would be better received if the forces that are actually changing Syria were as secular and democractically-minded as she is. Unfortunately, back here in reality the slogan of the rebels is still "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to the coffin". Now who's really to be faulted for not being on board with the idea of a new, more equitable Syria? Not the Christians, who have already been forced by the rebels to flee Homs, Al-Qusayr, etc.

If my memory serves me correctly the original protests in Syria were democracy-inspired, secular and peaceful. I am grateful for Habte's and faithcmbs9's posts in this thread.
One man, one vote, one election.

My recollection, the reforms that were desired were the ones that Assad was promising but never fulfilled. The one election, is pure Ialmisry. I am a great admirer of your concise conjectures.

The US State Department seems to have the same recollection (http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2011/nea/186449.htm):
Yes, and the US State Department never lies.

Are you referring to nuanced statements (which is par for the course), or to the fact that the state department doesn't pay much attention to these statements when it conflicts with short term goals, or are you seeing outright lies in the statements about Syria? Just curious here.

all of the above: the Kurds, for instance, finally learned that US policy is pursued on a strictly Realpolitik basis, with only lip service to moral standards.  The US is quite willing to keep others oppressed (if not help oppress them even) to enhance its own freedom.  Latin America learned that to its sorrow.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »

http://www.aina.org/news/20120628055936.htm

Syrian Rebels Ransack Christian Churches

Shocking images have emerged which show the aftermath of Christian churches ransacked by NATO-backed Syrian rebels, illustrating once again how western powers are supporting Muslim extremists in their bid to achieve regime change in the middle east.

A photograph provided to us by a Christian woman in Homs, scene of some of the bloodiest clashes of the conflict, shows a member of the Free Syrian Army posing with a looted Catholic cross in one hand and a gun in the other while wearing a priest's robe.

Read more at the link above.

Here are some pictures:

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

This is so sad. Lord, have mercy. St. John of Damascus pray for us.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »

This is so sad. Lord, have mercy. St. John of Damascus pray for us.

This ethnic cleansing of Christians has been going on for over a century in that part of the world, and our government has always ignored it until after the fact, so one has to question why?  It seems the instigator of the Muslims in all the lands owned by the former Ottoman Empire is Turkey, and they have phenomenal lobbyists.  At one time they even had Dewey, the governnor of NYS on their payroll, and later on they united themselves with AIPAC, the powerful Jewish lobby.

When Turkey realized it had nothing more to gain from Israel, and that they could gain more from Saudi Arabia and the other Arab states, they created the incident of the flotilla at Gaza to break relations with them.  Because of that,  Turkey lost its alliance with AIPAC the powerful Jewish lobby, so Erdogan stated that his lobbyists in the U.S. were  now working overtime to compensate.  

Since Assad had the West against him,  Turkey felt it was the opportune time to grab the city of Homs and  the areas where the Turcomans lived and the best way for it to accomplish it was to have the rebels commit atrocities against Christians and Alawites.  This would force Assad to attack the city with heavy weapons and they could cry  'foul'.  They could play the victim  the way the Albanians did in Kosovo, and as usual we fell for it.   The hope was  that we would invade the way we did with Kosovo, but Russia intervened.

When Syria shot down the Turkish plane,  it was just another incident set up by Turkey.  I was certain the 'expendable' pilot was a Kurd, and I was right.  In the earthquake last year, the Turkish government wouldn't let help to come in from foreign nations since the area was predominantly Kurds.  These things are well known by the Red Cross and other foreign agencies..  

Anyway having the Turkish plane shot down, was what it needed to move its troops to the border.  So as they line up their armed forces, and threaten a weakened Syria, Erdogan and Devotoglu harp on to Nato and  the Turkish press how Turkey is being threatened by Assad.  Nato is not stupid enough to fall for it, and simply pacifies their ambitions, but in the cafes in Turkey, the people are all screaming for 'war'.  

Assad did tell Turkey to be careful how they tread after speaking to Putin, but I guess it was to no avail.   Angry  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:37:12 PM by Zenovia » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.  Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

There is a prophecy from Saint Kosmas regarding a war with Russia and Turkey. heres the link some might be interested some not.
Its just been recent were Elder Paisios spoke about it also.

http://youtu.be/i4qpT_ow3sc
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

Lord Have Mercy! Ya Rabb Irham!

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »

(AGI) Rome - The Fides news agency has reported on groups of rebel extremist Islamists "terrorising people in Damascus" especially Chrstians and Iraqi refugees.

According to the news agency, which is quoting sources in Damascus, these militias stopped the car of a Christian, a civilian state official called Nabil Zoreb, and forced the man, his wife Violet and his two children, George and Jimmy, to get out of the car and then shot them all at point blank range. In the south-eastern part of Damascus, Islamist fighters from the Jihad al Nosra group, close to the Muslim Brotherhood, attacked the homes of Iraqi refugees, looting and burning down the houses, obliging the residents to flee. . .

http://www.agi.it/english-version/world/elenco-notizie/201207231610-cro-ren1044-fides_reports_rebel_islamists_killing_christians_in_syria

I have a friend whose cousins live in a Christian neighborhood in Aleppo, and she said a couple of weeks ago a bomb went off about a block away from her cousin's house.

Lord have mercy.

converted viking

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »

This makes me incredibly sad and angry. As much as I think it is important to defend Christians from persecution, this should not be done at the expense of justice. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." ~2 Timothy 1:7. Assad's regime (as well as any rebels that were not acting in self-defense) must be held accountable for its crimes against its own people, regardless of whether or not Christians benefit from his secular policies. It is the job of the church to be the voice for the "least of these" - the victims of these atrocities, not the voice for those in power. Earthly persecution that could result from Assad's fall can be seen as an opportunity to witness to the power of the gospel, but being motivated by fear rather than justice betrays that same gospel and weakens us spiritually. It is laudable to support a government because you feel the government is just, but it is quite another thing to support a government because you are afraid not to - the former is what we are called to do as Christians, not the latter. We are to walk in righteousness in whatever circumstances we face; trust the rest to God. For He promises that even in the face of persecution:

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you." ~Matthew 5:10-12

Easy for you to say sitting in a safe place.  I would be more impressed if you put your money where your mouth is and go to Syria where the carnage is taking place.

Seraphim
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »

St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church in Homs , Syria was destroyed in heavy fighting. This is a historic church where a belt of Virgin Mary the Theotokos is preserved. The chruch is known locally as Um Al-Zunar Church i.e. The Church of 'Belt of the Mother'.  As per the tradition, St. Mary gave her belt to St. Thomas. In the 5th century a Syrian monk brought the belt to Homs, and ever since has been preserved there. The church is now the Cathedral of the Syrian Orthodox Archdiocese of Homs and Hama. It is surrounded by the Church Orphanage building and the headquarter of Archbishop Mor Selwanos Boutros.
Destroyed Church

After a very long time.. the smell of incense and the prayer returned to St. Mary Church of the Holy Belt "Um az-Zinnar" at Homs, Syria. Today after a long period, The Holy Qurbono (Divine Liturgy) was celebrated by Mor Selwanos Boutros  in the ruins of   St. Mary Church of the Holy Belt "Um az-Zinnar" Homs. His Eminence was assisted by the Priests of the Archdiocese of Homs and Hama and hundreds of faithful attended with tears og Joy. Local government authorities and Muslim clergies too participated and delivered solidarity messages.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:01:49 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »

St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church in Homs , Syria was destroyed in heavy fighting. This is a historic church where a belt of Virgin Mary the Theotokos is preserved. The chruch is known locally as Um Al-Zunar Church i.e. The Church of 'Belt of the Mother'.  As per the tradition, St. Mary gave her belt to St. Thomas. In the 5th century a Syrian monk brought the belt to Homs, and ever since has been preserved there. The church is now the Cathedral of the Syrian Orthodox Archdiocese of Homs and Hama. It is surrounded by the Church Orphanage building and the headquarter of Archbishop Mor Selwanos Boutros.
Destroyed Church

After a very long time.. the smell of incense and the prayer returned to St. Mary Church of the Holy Belt "Um az-Zinnar" at Homs, Syria. Today after a long period, The Holy Qurbono (Divine Liturgy) was celebrated by Mor Selwanos Boutros  in the ruins of   St. Mary Church of the Holy Belt "Um az-Zinnar" Homs. His Eminence was assisted by the Priests of the Archdiocese of Homs and Hama and hundreds of faithful attended with tears og Joy. Local government authorities and Muslim clergies too participated and delivered solidarity messages.

Matthew 10:42

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »

^God bless. All segments of the Syrian people must stand united to end this crisis and build the future of Syria.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:50:39 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Tags: Syria persecution 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: