OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:32:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Sleeping Christians' ?  (Read 594 times) Average Rating: 0
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« on: May 31, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »

As I said in other posts, I was raised Catholic.  I was then given broad exposure to various Protestant sects.  I then stayed away from church for about 30 years.  I came back to church, going once again to Catholic Mass.  I am now actively working to convert to Orthodoxy.  I believe the Orthodox Church is the one true, original Church. 

However, I will occasionally have a questions to ask as I go through this process.  When I started attending Mass again, I began listening to Catholic radio stations.  One term came up with noticeable frequency:  "Sleeping Christians."

Another term that often came up was "Culture of death."

Is that strictly a Catholic term, does anyone know exactly what those refer to, and does the Orthodoxy use the same terms or perhaps other terms with the same meanings?  I have vague ideas and not sure they're accurate, but I'm really curious to know if Orthodoxy uses those phrases as well.  I'm looking for the significance of those phrases.  I appreciate any info you guys might have.  Thanx.  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »

'Culture of death,' at least in Roman Catholic circles, usually refers to the popularity of abortion and euthanasia, and other things which are against the pro-life beliefs of the church. I haven't heard this figure of speech used as much in the Orthodox Church, although they have much the same policies in these matters.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

I want to say that it was JPII who coined that phrase. I think that the Orthodox would tend to agree with that assessment.
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »

And I don't get home from work until almost midnight so I'm always late in posting.

I wasn't sure how this topic was going to do as I left for work right after posting it.  I hope none of my posts are misconstrued as an attempt to sway people to catholicism.  I am converting to Orthodoxy.  But coming from catholicism, I'll naturally have questions from time to time asking what from the old church translates to the new church that I'm going to.  This is the part of the process wherein I'm trying to get a bead on the doctrine. In instances where the two churches differ, I'm going full speed ahead with the presumption that the Orthodox church's doctrine is the correct one.

As to this question, I'm assuming that there were only two responses because these two terms specifically (though the concepts behind them may be in tune with Orthodoxy) aren't in of themselves used a lot in the Orthodox church.  The first phrase in particular I was trying to glean from the context in which I heard it.  I was thinking it referred to Christians who belonged to all faiths that arose after/due to the Protestant Reformation.  I now find the notion of that ironic if the Catholic church is the only one using the phrase "sleeping Christian."  If that is the meaning behind the term, then Catholics themselves would fit the definition, though that first break occurred before the Reformation--a split is a split.

As a brand new convert just getting started in this direction, I'm going to be wrong.  A lot.  You'll do me and other converts in here a great service to point out when I'm/we're wrong every single time.  That's why I'm asking questions. Thanx a bunch!!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:16:43 AM by gonefishing » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »

'Culture of death,' at least in Roman Catholic circles, usually refers to the popularity of abortion and euthanasia, and other things which are against the pro-life beliefs of the church. I haven't heard this figure of speech used as much in the Orthodox Church, although they have much the same policies in these matters.

I've also heard it applied to Homosexuality, as in homosexuality is a 'deathstyle'

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »

"Sleeping Christians" is a term used when one like myself goes to a presentation at Church and is so tired that I nod off and fall asleep, such as yesterday evening. Tongue
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »

@ Gamliel--rofl!!!

And might I add:  Oh no you di'int!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:50:10 AM by gonefishing » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

However, I will occasionally have a questions to ask as I go through this process.  When I started attending Mass again, I began listening to Catholic radio stations.  One term came up with noticeable frequency:  "Sleeping Christians."

I tried Googling that phrase, and the first 2 results both referred to I Thessalonians 5:6 ("So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober.")

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »

I'm very familiar with the label "culture of death."  I think mostly conservative, evangelical Catholics use it in the wake of JPII's coinage. 

I have never, ever heard of "sleeping Christians" as a popular phrase.  Regardless, it's not a new reality.

Tasting is Believing
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

I tried Googling that phrase, and the first 2 results both referred to I Thessalonians 5:6 ("So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober.")

I didn't connect the dots there--interesting!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »

I didn't connect the dots there--interesting!

Neither did I. Thank goodness for Google.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

It didn't even occur to me to google.  Been internetting for what, 20 years?  And it's still not 2nd nature for me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: