OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:25:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Can I work at the beer store?
Yes - 31 (77.5%)
No - 2 (5%)
It depends - 1 (2.5%)
Ask Your Priest - 6 (15%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working at The Beer Store  (Read 5823 times) Average Rating: 0
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 02:28:43 AM »

Alcohol is not necessary? Only an American could say that. In Old Europe, Alcohol (wine or beer) IS necessary for normal socializing among adults.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 03:29:37 AM »

Maudite means damned by the way.... I dont drink this because of that, but have a sister product of theirs Don De Dieu, which means 'Gift of G-d' in the fridge.

GOD. GOD. GOD. Angry

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 06:46:26 AM »

Maudite means damned by the way.... I dont drink this because of that, but have a sister product of theirs Don De Dieu, which means 'Gift of G-d' in the fridge.

GOD. GOD. GOD. Angry

D_ _U

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »

Hahaha. Grin You aren't worried about being struck down by French God, I take it? Understandable, since apparently He'd rather invent instruments than smite people for writing vowels:

Well they would make quite a plague...

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Alcohol is not necessary? Only an American could say that. In Old Europe, Alcohol (wine or beer) IS necessary for normal socializing among adults.

Yeah, but their beer is better.  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

You must have never had Octoberfest from Sam Adams.  And American wine beat French wine in (I believe) 1971.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »

You must have never had Octoberfest from Sam Adams.  And American wine beat French wine in (I believe) 1971.

Really? It seems a trip to the store is required!  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »

Really? It seems a trip to the store is required!  Cheesy

To which part, Octoberfest or American wine?  For Octoberfest, you'll have to wait until August, unfortunately.  As to the wine, French wine critics were quite dismayed to realize that they preferred American wine in a blind taste test; but then again, wine critics have also been known to rate the same wine in strikingly different ways when it's put in two different bottles with one bottle labelled with an expensive wine, and the other an inexpensive one, so wine critics are really crap.

Plus, the American Association of Wine Economists has shown that cheaper wines are preferred in blind taste tests.  Go to Circle K and pick up the wine they sell, you won't regret it.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »

Yeah, but their beer is better.  Grin

You must have never had Octoberfest from Sam Adams.  And American wine beat French wine in (I believe) 1971.

Really? It seems a trip to the store is required!  Cheesy

To which part, Octoberfest or American wine?  For Octoberfest, you'll have to wait until August, unfortunately.  As to the wine, French wine critics were quite dismayed to realize that they preferred American wine in a blind taste test; but then again, wine critics have also been known to rate the same wine in strikingly different ways when it's put in two different bottles with one bottle labelled with an expensive wine, and the other an inexpensive one, so wine critics are really crap.

Plus, the American Association of Wine Economists has shown that cheaper wines are preferred in blind taste tests.  Go to Circle K and pick up the wine they sell, you won't regret it.
How do you know all this? Huh
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:57:44 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Not any more.  American craft brew is something remarkable to behold.  That is the residual effects of prudish temperance of the American narrative.  It promotes extremists positions, either all the way to right with total abstinence, and all the way to the left with absolutely, maniacal beer snobbery.  In the middle? Much like geography, its Coors.. Tap the Rockies Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 05:09:24 PM »

There are very few examples of beer styles that modern American craft breweries have not meet or exceeded the level of quality of their European counterparts.

Belgium beers are one of those exceptions. There are some good ones out there, but not great Like the Trappists or St. Bernardus'. Ommegang is exceptional but they are actually owned by Belgians.  The guys that make Duvel.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

You must have never had Octoberfest from Sam Adams.  And American wine beat French wine in (I believe) 1971.

To which part, Octoberfest or American wine?  For Octoberfest, you'll have to wait until August, unfortunately.  As to the wine, French wine critics were quite dismayed to realize that they preferred American wine in a blind taste test; but then again, wine critics have also been known to rate the same wine in strikingly different ways when it's put in two different bottles with one bottle labelled with an expensive wine, and the other an inexpensive one, so wine critics are really crap.

Plus, the American Association of Wine Economists has shown that cheaper wines are preferred in blind taste tests.  Go to Circle K and pick up the wine they sell, you won't regret it.

I am well versed in many things.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Not any more.  American craft brew is something remarkable to behold.  That is the residual effects of prudish temperance of the American narrative.  It promotes extremists positions, either all the way to right with total abstinence, and all the way to the left with absolutely, maniacal beer snobbery.  In the middle? Much like geography, its Coors.. Tap the Rockies Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Coors...what good can be said of it?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

Including that which you are too young to have experienced legally in your state?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »

Including that which you are too young to have experienced legally in your state?

I wasn't aware it was impossible to leave the borders of Arizona.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »

So what is the best red wine I can get? I honestly have no knowledge of wine.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »

As an alcoholic, some of us have a rule which governs much of this thread:

Rule 62.

Take it easy folks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

So what is the best red wine I can get? I honestly have no knowledge of wine.

There is no such thing.

Start with decent aftermarket blends. You get something very drinkable and without much dinero.

And don't be afraid of the tetra pack.

Experiment. Keeps notes on what you like and don't like using your own words. Then if you decide to get serious you can learning the vocabulary of wine.

Any decent wine store will point you in the right direction.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

I googled Rule 62 and had a good laugh, nice.

And orthonormie, when you say Tetra pack you mean the same packaging that is used by orange juice? All I care about is having a glass of wine with dinner every night.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »

Yes, I understand that the drinking age in Mexico is only 18, and since Arizona shares a border with Mexico, I suppose it's not all that difficult for you to have spent some time south of the border. I didn't mean to sound as if I was attacking you. I was just surprised by your knowledge of wine and beer and found it hard to believe you could know so much about the subject, considering some of the personal details you've revealed in your profile. Please forgive me for causing you offense.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

Yes, I understand that the drinking age in Mexico is only 18, and since Arizona shares a border with Mexico, I suppose it's not all that difficult for you to have spent some time south of the border. I didn't mean to sound as if I was attacking you. I was just surprised by your knowledge of wine and beer and found it hard to believe you could know so much about the subject, considering some of the personal details you've revealed in your profile. Please forgive me for causing you offense.

That's quite alright.  I'd note as well, by the way, several states of the union actually permit the consumption of alcohol by a minor, when a parent is present, such as Colorado where I have a great deal of family.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »

I forgot about Colorado and the ability to drink when a parent is present.

Coors is horrible.

The best beer is Pilsner Urquell. I need a trip to Prague.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »

The best beer is Pilsner Urquell. I need a trip to Prague.

Why not to Pilsen?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »

I was always under the impression Prague had all the Czech drafts. I love Czech beer.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

Of course Coors is horrible stuff, but if you pay attention, I placed it on the middle of a spectrum that was temperance at one extreme and beer snobbery on the other, so day to day alchies who tap the rockies fit perfectly in the middle there.  Further, it was a pun on geography, the rockies, the middle, the continental divide.. I'm off to enjoy some Stone IPA with the Heat game, its Pentecost today, tomorrow, we Fast.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
KShaft

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

Of course Coors is horrible stuff, but if you pay attention, I placed it on the middle of a spectrum that was temperance at one extreme and beer snobbery on the other, so day to day alchies who tap the rockies fit perfectly in the middle there.  Further, it was a pun on geography, the rockies, the middle, the continental divide.. I'm off to enjoy some Stone IPA with the Heat game, its Pentecost today, tomorrow, we Fast.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Not an IPA fan (yeah I know, IPAs and Imperial Russian Stouts make up 75% of the craft brews here) but I can drink Stone's and somewhat enjoy it.  DFH 60 or 90 is decent for me as well. The stuff that tastes like pine cone, Ill drain pour that without a second thought.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Not an IPA fan (yeah I know, IPAs and Imperial Russian Stouts make up 75% of the craft brews here) but I can drink Stone's and somewhat enjoy it.  DFH 60 or 90 is decent for me as well. The stuff that tastes like pine cone, Ill drain pour that without a second thought.

If you drink enough of something else, no beer tastes bad.

KShaft

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

Of course Coors is horrible stuff, but if you pay attention, I placed it on the middle of a spectrum that was temperance at one extreme and beer snobbery on the other, so day to day alchies who tap the rockies fit perfectly in the middle there.  Further, it was a pun on geography, the rockies, the middle, the continental divide.. I'm off to enjoy some Stone IPA with the Heat game, its Pentecost today, tomorrow, we Fast.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Not an IPA fan (yeah I know, IPAs and Imperial Russian Stouts make up 75% of the craft brews here) but I can drink Stone's and somewhat enjoy it.  DFH 60 or 90 is decent for me as well. The stuff that tastes like pine cone, Ill drain pour that without a second thought.

wa...wa...wahhhhhh
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:06:47 PM by KShaft » Logged
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »

Pointless aside: anybody tried kvass? It kind of tastes like bread.  Smiley

I tried kvas (կվաս) once. They sell it on the streets in Armenia during the summer. Didn't care for it too much, but it's probably one of those things you have to develop a taste for like coffee.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

^^ has been asked by court order to discuss under age drinking with you..

j/k  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:37:07 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »

Since I can rarely afford Guiness, Pale Ale, and the finer quality beer that I really enjoy, I confess that in order to satiate my proletriate palate I sometimes consume:

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra_Pak

A lot of drinkable wine has already gone this way in Europe.

Again, don't judge a wine by its container, whether it is a pure varietal, or aftermarket reblend.

Find what you like. Forget all the "rules" governing food pairings. They are usually nonsense. Basically, if you are drinking with food you just want something that doesn't overpower the food or vice versa. Really no different than pairing a beer with food.

Oenophilia or its more respected winophilia is nothing that should cost you a lot of money nor be set in stone by the tastes of others.

The higher priced wines, outside those wines created to help insanely stupid attempts to demonstrate one's palette, are a function of consistency from bottle to bottle or lack of supply due to lower levels of yield whether due to unforeseen circumstances or due to the nature of the grape and process used to make the wine itself (Eiswein for example).  

Stroll down to your nearest wine store and ask for something drinkable. If your taste buds are not completely those of a toddler opt for something a little dry with light to medium body and a light finish. Hard to go wrong there.

Once you try a few bottles or cartons you can give better feedback on what you enjoyed and what you didn't. Just be honest. Wines snobs don't usually sell wine successfully. A good wine store clerk or owner will be thrilled in helping you find what you like.

Drink a few gallons for me.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:20:08 AM by orthonorm » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »

Since I can rarely afford Guiness, Pale Ale, and the finer quality beer that I really enjoy, I confess that in order to satiate my proletriate palate I sometimes consume:

Selam

Guiness...I don't understand why so many people like it.

And anything from a can - in my, admittedly not massive, experience - tastes terrible.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »

Selam

Guiness...I don't understand why so many people like it.

And anything from a can - in my, admittedly not massive, experience - tastes terrible.
Yeah I don't get it either. It tastes like burnt poop.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »

James, Guinness is good for you.

Best red wine = Mavrodaphne.

Best sh!+ beer = Coors, Budweiser, Miller, chilled urine...it all tastes the same but the first three have the desired effect.

Ayinger Brau Weisse was original given to man by the angels.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:19 AM »

winophilia
Love of Wino's?   Smiley

I recently learned that my great state of Missouri was one of the leading producers of wine before Prohibition.  Not really a wine guy myself, I've had some of our wine that comes from St. James, MO. and thought it was not bad (For all I know, it could've either be REALLY good stuff or horrible stuff.)  Give it a try if you get the chance and let me know.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »

If it weren't for such women, I would've spent more nights than I can count alone. Although for much of my time drinking, beer and wine were strictly food items. Vodka was my alcoholic beverage.

Much of the first wine I consumed was of the dandelion or "pop" variety. Fortified fruit juice of your choice put into an empty bottle with a balloon to close it.

When the ballon popped, it was ready to drink.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2012, 12:35:04 AM »

I love stouts, but Guiness is just OK.  I love both Young's Double Chocolate Stout and their Oatmeal Stout (although no longer available, I believe).  Smith's puts out a great Oatmeal Stout, too.  Sammy Adams has a great Cream Stout.  My second choice of beer is Hefeweizen.  Paulaner puts out an absolutely amazing Hefeweizen!!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »

Best sh!+ beer = Coors, Budweiser, Miller, chilled urine...it all tastes the same but the first three have the desired effect.

Guinness has to be the most overrated beer ever.

And lulz at "craft beers" marketing nonsense in the States. Along with micro and now nanobrews.

What's next? Picobrews?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:48 AM »

I cannot stand any Coors, Budweiser, or Miller product (or Pabst), but Corona is good as far as the extremely widely available beers. 

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »

To my Colt 45 packin brotha Gebre, please. Up yo low budget game Smiley

trust me iyah!

and the lil homie is right, so pour it in a glass!

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

stay  blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:49:33 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »

I love stouts, but Guiness is just OK.  I love both Young's Double Chocolate Stout and their Oatmeal Stout (although no longer available, I believe).  Smith's puts out a great Oatmeal Stout, too.  Sammy Adams has a great Cream Stout.  My second choice of beer is Hefeweizen.  Paulaner puts out an absolutely amazing Hefeweizen!!

My kind of stuff! I love dark, rich beer. That's why I love Guiness, but only the extra stout. I don't know why they bother to make anything else. And yes, Samuel Adams Cream Stout is very good. I also love Samuel Adams Scotch Ale, but I haven't been able to find it in years. I wonder if they still make it.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »

trust me iyah!

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

LOL. Didn't say I was proud of it.  Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:40 AM »

trust me iyah!

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

stay  blessed,
habte selassie

LOL. Didn't say I was proud of it.  Wink

Selam

Wasn't hating, that was my honest recommendation Smiley
I used to drink Tecate 24z until Rolling Rock came out with em.  That is my after-work wind-down special.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:30 AM »

I hope you're being sincere cause I'll buy some tomorrow. And follow ortho's rec

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: