OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classical Guitar  (Read 420 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr.Kyrillos

« on: June 13, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »

Just curious if there any other classical guitarists here...I have been playing for several years and just started recording (thanks to my wife's father's day gift) some of my playing here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/frkyrillos/videos

Hope to find more Orthodox classical guitarists...

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos
norm1145

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

Father Bless. Very beautiful . I have the joy of being able to listen at work in my office... excellent recording too... i assume it is not in a recording booth. What are you using? In my youth i played Spanish guitar and advanced to Classical, but life got in the way, and i turned to Merle Travis style... my hero is Chet Atkins. There is a a great Tab site " Classical Guitar Tablature" that has printible tabs. I know, I know, not the textbook way, but i can really dig in and start with a tab ( as long as it is correct.) You'll be an internet sensation soon no doubt...

Traditionally a non-conformist...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Just curious if there any other classical guitarists here...I have been playing for several years and just started recording (thanks to my wife's father's day gift) some of my playing here:

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos

Haha! That is wonderful picking Father! Perhaps you can help us lead the way into getting the guitar into the Orthodox Church Smiley

Myself, I can't get into classical guitar playing, I am a jazz/blues improv player, I simply can't be confined by so much structure, I need the freedom to just jam

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »

Awesome. I'll give it a listen tonight. Im not a guitarist, but I am an Orthodox bassist. blues mostly, some jazz, prog, stuff like that.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »

Father Bless. Very beautiful . I have the joy of being able to listen at work in my office... excellent recording too... i assume it is not in a recording booth. What are you using? In my youth i played Spanish guitar and advanced to Classical, but life got in the way, and i turned to Merle Travis style... my hero is Chet Atkins. There is a a great Tab site " Classical Guitar Tablature" that has printible tabs. I know, I know, not the textbook way, but i can really dig in and start with a tab ( as long as it is correct.) You'll be an internet sensation soon no doubt...

Thank you norm1145!  The recording was done on a little digital hand-held recorder called the Tascam DR-07. The unit has some built-in effects but all I added was a bit of reverb. I am still getting used to the unit and hopefully I can continue to improve the recording quality from it.
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos

Haha! That is wonderful picking Father! Perhaps you can help us lead the way into getting the guitar into the Orthodox Church Smiley

Myself, I can't get into classical guitar playing, I am a jazz/blues improv player, I simply can't be confined by so much structure, I need the freedom to just jam

stay blessed,
habte selassie

In high school I was exclusively a rock guitarist and then really got into jazz but more specifically, fusion. Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Scott Henderson...that kinda stuff. Once in college I walked away from it altogether and then several years back just focused on classical. What I really enjoy and appreciate about classical guitar is that it is truly a solo instrument. So its perfect for late night playing when the family is asleep.
norm1145

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »

Thank you norm1145!  The recording was done on a little digital hand-held recorder called the Tascam DR-07. The unit has some built-in effects but all I added was a bit of reverb. I am still getting used to the unit and hopefully I can continue to improve the recording quality from it.
It really works well - amazingly well... I am working on bach's Cello Suite No.1 Prelude written for guitar... the tone and progression is going to be hard to master , but it is coming along nicely...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI&feature=share. here is the Cello master... By the way, do you just set up your recorder on a music stand? i should google it...

Traditionally a non-conformist...
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »

It really works well - amazingly well... I am working on bach's Cello Suite No.1 Prelude written for guitar... the tone and progression is going to be hard to master , but it is coming along nicely...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI&feature=share. here is the Cello master... By the way, do you just set up your recorder on a music stand? i should google it...

I mess around with a little classical guitar sometimes. I'm more of a jazz player though, and love to play rock and metal stuff as well. I do also play cello, and happen to know that movement.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: