Author Topic: Churching  (Read 1705 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Churching
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Do you attend churches you are signed in? Or do you go to other places? If your answer for the first question is "yes" what makes you attend other parishes? Why don't you like to attend your home parish?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:20:53 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Re: Churching
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
Probably because I can sample the women buffet table. A little bit of Greek, Russian, and Serbian by my side.

I attend other parishes just to see how well I am received.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:52 AM »
I usually only attend my home parish because well let's face it, it is one of the very few Orthodox Churches close to my house so there is not much to sample. Although, I would like visiting different Orthodox parishes out of sheer curiousity--you know, see how the different jurisdictions and cultures handle things, how they receive me, which ones have the best women...I've been very interested in someday visiting an Antiochian or Jerusalem parish. Arabic Orthodox Christian culture has been interesting me lately, simple because it is the oldest. I mean, it all sort of started in those areas, so Arabic Orthodoxy in my mind sort of has a special position as being the classic, original orthodox Orthodoxy.

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:16:09 AM »
I would love to go to the parish where I was chrismated, but I don't feel like making a 5 hour drive every Sunday, plus gas.

When I am home I go to the parish where my wife and daughter were chrismated (which is Antiochian), but there are a few other parishes not too far from where I live that I could attend (in fact, for one feast or another we celebrate with the Greeks at their parish not too far away, like once or twice a year), but I never do... just no need I guess...
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »
My family in Białystok attends the parish that used to be ours before we moved to another part of the city. We are used to it (plus it has floor heating).
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
I've visited many parishes in many jurisdictions, as well as monasteries / convents.

Often the decision was based on the fact that we were either traveling, or specifically wanted to see & visit other Orthodox places.  We liked to have the experience of knowing that our brothers and sisters in Christ "were really out there", and liked to see the cultural differences.

My least favorite to visit was the larger churches in New York city (congregation issues).  I think it was because there was too much of a "mixture" of culture.

My favorite to visit were the monasteries and convents.   Most memorable was an OCA monastery in Hiram, OH (back in the 80's).  The clergy there had an awesome candle making setup, and lived way back next to some woods.   We all went for hikes and prayer sessions way back in those woods.  If you have never experienced Orthodox worship in nature, with snow all around dampening the sounds of everything else...   I'll just say its a miraculous experience.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
 ???  I sign in at every church I visit, they usually have the book out in plain sight...

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Hmm. Here the area is divided between the parishes. For example in Białystok then are about 10 of them and if you live in the X Street you are signed to Y Parish but I you moved 1km further you would be signed to another one. On the other hand my family and many of my friends attend other parishes.

It looks like that's not the case across the ocean.

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Hmm. Here the area is divided between the parishes. For example in Białystok then are about 10 of them and if you live in the X Street you are signed to Y Parish but I you moved 1km further you would be signed to another one. On the other hand my family and many of my friends attend other parishes.

Nope. Here, the parishes are far too spread out to necessitate assigned parishes, and usually each city has only one parish per jurisdiction, so most people go to whichever church matches their ethnic background.

Offline witega

• Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

Remember that we have the jurisdictional issue. We can't reach agreement on one bishop being responsible for one place, so we're not going to get to the more detailed point of having one parish responsible for one part of that place. When a city has a Greek, ROCOR, OCA, Antiochian and Serbian parish, it has a Greek, ROCOR, OCA, Antiochian and Serbian bishop. The Greek bishop can't tell Serbian parishoners living north of 10th street that they should go to the Antiochian parish, or Antiochian parishoners living next door to the Greek Church that they have to come there. When one jurisdiction has multiple parishes in the same urban error, then they do tend to place them in such a way to divide up the area (In the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, St. Seraphim's serves central and southern Dallas, St. Barbara's serves Fort Worth in the West, St. Sava's serves northern Dallas, and St. Maximus' serves the far northern Denton) but there's no attempt made to make the divisions 'official'. I attended St. Seraphim's for years while living in east Dallas. When I moved to north Dallas, 10 minutes from St. Sava's, I continued to attend St. Seraphim's for over a year until the priest who was mine and my wife's regular confessor there was transferred out of the city, and then we started attending St. Sava's.
Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

Remember that we have the jurisdictional issue. We can't reach agreement on one bishop being responsible for one place, so we're not going to get to the more detailed point of having one parish responsible for one part of that place. When a city has a Greek, ROCOR, OCA, Antiochian and Serbian parish, it has a Greek, ROCOR, OCA, Antiochian and Serbian bishop. The Greek bishop can't tell Serbian parishoners living north of 10th street that they should go to the Antiochian parish, or Antiochian parishoners living next door to the Greek Church that they have to come there. When one jurisdiction has multiple parishes in the same urban error, then they do tend to place them in such a way to divide up the area (In the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, St. Seraphim's serves central and southern Dallas, St. Barbara's serves Fort Worth in the West, St. Sava's serves northern Dallas, and St. Maximus' serves the far northern Denton) but there's no attempt made to make the divisions 'official'. I attended St. Seraphim's for years while living in east Dallas. When I moved to north Dallas, 10 minutes from St. Sava's, I continued to attend St. Seraphim's for over a year until the priest who was mine and my wife's regular confessor there was transferred out of the city, and then we started attending St. Sava's.

Right.   I've also witnessed here that even within the same branch (OCA) that you can go to whatever church you choose.  For instance if witega decided that he wanted to once again attend St. Seraphim's in Dallas as his home church he could.  Or if witega made a stretch up I-75 to McKinney (St. Sava's is in Plano near Allen) he could run up to St. Nicholas (ROCOR), but then he'd be under another bishop then, and a *bit* more complicated than being within the same branch (OCA).

But it would be pretty easy for him to join in to ROCOR if he wanted, or the Greek church in Dallas, (or any other of them).   There is sometimes a *bit* of an entrance into another church under another bishop. 

At least this is what I experienced.

Also, if you are traveling, if you are under OCA, you can go to any Greek church (any other world Orthodox church) and still get the sacraments.

Is it fair to say that in the USA it's like "free market" on the bishops/churches?  LOL.    I don't know how else to say it.   You basically get to pick.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline witega

• Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
I meant to specify in my example from the Dallas area, that all the parishes I listed were OCA as I was giving an example of how a single jurisdiction handles it. If I decided I wanted to attend St. Nicholas (ROCOR), or Holy Trinity (GOA) or Sts. Constantine and Helena (Antiochian) instead, there's no one that could tell me I should attend St. Sava's (which is literally my neighborhood parish), because in that case I'd have technically put myself under the authority of the ROCOR, GOA, or Antiochian bishop.
Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great