OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 24, 2014, 12:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Bibles for Eastern Orthodox Christians  (Read 771 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »

So, I thought I would give everyone a chance to chime in and hopefully create a thread that can be pointed to when asked about Bible versions.  I was going to say 'Top 5' but then there are probably a few that I may not be aware of.  So far, my vote goes for the NKJV New Testament.  For the Old Testament, I like the LXX and NSRV with the Apocrypha.  So, without further delay, ladies and gentlemen- Cast your votes!     

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »

No poll? I was interested in seeing one!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

I think KJV and RSV "Catholic Edition" seem good... anything that changes Psalm 1 from "Blessed is the man" to "How blessed are those" or "Blessed are those" doesn't get a second look from me.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »

Top 10? Oy vey.

1. NOAB RSV w Apoc
2. Oxford ESV w Apoc
3. EOB NT
4. RSV-CE v2
5. NABRE

The bottom two don't include the full apoc, so maybe not exactly the best for Orthodox Christians.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:05:14 AM »

1) King James Version (Thompson Chain Reference Bible--what else?)
2) Orthodox Study Bible
3) New International Version
4) New King James Version
5) New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha
6) Douay Rheims
7) Revised Standard Version
8) New Jerusalem Bible
9) New American Bible (one of the older editions, not the 2011 revised edition)
10) The Orthodox New Testament
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »

Everyone seems to like that NOAB RSV.  I have a regular RSV with (unfortunately) no apocrypha.  I have the OSB and a 1611 KJV.  I like them all.

I also have a million other translations laying around, but those are the three I use.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »

Everyone seems to like that NOAB RSV.
That's because it includes the entire Apocrypha in a great translation. There are some liberal translation issues I have in the NT, but other than that it's my goto.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »

I have the OSB for home use but on my computer I have a copy of Breton's LXX English translation.
I also have a thing that compares the Masoretic and LXX side by side. For the NT I guess NKJV or possibly RSV.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:17:52 AM »

1. Orthodox Study Bible
2. Douay Rheims
3. KJV w/ Apocrypha
4. Oxford Annotated RSV w/ Apocrypha
5. St. Ignatius Study Bible
6. KJV
7. NKJV
8. RSV
9. NASB
10. NIV

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »

That's because it includes the entire Apocrypha in a great translation. There are some liberal translation issues I have in the NT, but other than that it's my goto.

Yup. I've been wanting one for a while. Just haven't picked one up yet.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »

1. RSV with Apocrypha
2. Eastern Orthodox Bible
3. NKJV
4. NASB
5. KJV with Apocrypha
6. YLT
7. ASV
8. Douay Rheims
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:02:30 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »

There's plenty of good reasons for that.  It's proportioned very well.  For a study Bible, it fits in the hand rather nicely and has an acceptable weight.  It's also quite portable.  The page layout is highly readable without a lot of clutter on each page. The notes/annotations are, in general, quite solid and concise, containing only the most salient points about the text of the Bible necessary for comprehension.  The commentary also includes copious intertextual references.  The commentary is academic but is not shy about having the OT reference the NT.  Even the Deuterocanonicals reference the NT.  Add to this that the RSV is truly a high-quality translation, preferred by many Orthodox, Catholics and Protestants alike, and what you end up with is a Bible that comes as highly recommended.

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: