Author Topic: Liturgical colours  (Read 537 times)

Offline Tommelomsky

• Podvig
  • Elder
  • Glory to God in all things!
    • Russian Orthodox Church in Norway
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
Liturgical colours
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
I am used to liturgical colours from my RC back ground. Are there any russian-orthodox here that can tell me if this is used on day to day or season/feast basis? And what is the liturgical colour today?

And are there anywhere on the web i can find information about this?

Blessings
The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +

Offline age234

• High Elder
Re: Liturgical colours
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »
I'm not Russian, but this link might be useful
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Liturgical_colors#Slavic_practice

today's color should be gold, if I'm not mistaken. and it is a feast by feast occasion (or season, depending).
N/OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
All of the links above have part of what I've experienced at different parishes, however not one of these lists describe in full how we use the colors year-round at my parish. Even within my diocese, when Christmas/Theophany comes around, you'll see photos of gold, white or sometimes even red vestments. Pascha is either red or white, etc. The Typikon of the Church only talks about "light" or "dark" colors. The use of something more specific is just local tradition and therefore tends to vary, although many of them have become standard (e.g., I've never seen: Pentecost any color but green, Lent any color but purple, Theotokos feasts any color but blue) these aren't hard-and-fast practices.

Many churches in the Russian tradition would wear gold today, since Ascension is a Feast of the Lord. However, I've also seen white used often for Feasts of the Lord, and that is the tradition of my parish. We wore white today.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:02:33 AM »
The most interesting use of liturgical colours is probably at Paschal Matins.  There is a pre-revolutionary Russian custom, preserved in a number of parishes of ROCOR and possibly elsewhere, according to which the priest wears a different-coloured phelon for each censing during the odes.  You can only really pull it off in a parish that has a deacon or a second priest, because a lone priest doing all of the litanies himself would not have time to get changed, and you need a couple of servers to ensure a swift transition, but it sounds like great fun and I imagine helps to highlight the festal character of the celebration.

M
'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
Green starts in 5 days!
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."