OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:11:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism Help!  (Read 331 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: May 28, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

I have two questions regarding Baptism that and I know that they are kind of silly and I'm embarassed to ask them, but I'm asking them anyway. I emailed my Priest about them but he has not responded yet and I'm kind of nervous wanting an answer now so I am asking you guys. The first question is about being anointed with oil; I know that this is really stupid, but oil causes acne and I'm a teenage boy. Do I really need to be anointed with oil? If so, is it at least possible to avoid being anointed on the face? The second question is about having my hair cut in four places to represent the Cross. Is this really essential because I'm not sure if my parents will allow that. Is there anything Priests do in substitution for this?

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »

Do I really need to be anointed with oil?

Yes. There are two types of oil used in baptism: olive oil, which is either poured into the font water (Russian tradition), or applied all over the body (Greek tradition, when babies and tots are baptised). Check with your priest how he does it.

The other oil is chrism, which is applied in the form of a cross on the forehead, lips, ears, chest, hands and feet. Chrismation is not negotiable. No chrism, no baptism.

The second question is about having my hair cut in four places to represent the Cross. Is this really essential because I'm not sure if my parents will allow that.

Again, not negotiable. Tonsuring represents "entering the fold", a small sacrifice. The amount of hair that is clipped off is no more than a few strands at each clip. Practically or completely invisible.

but oil causes acne

Not at all true. Complete myth. Teenage hormones cause acne. And you're a teenager.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:43 AM »

JamesR, you're forgetting one very important detail - baptism and chrismation are sacraments. They will not cause physical harm. I'm sure you've read plenty in this forum where we've discussed the subject of a common cup and spoon at Communion.

Shaving a cross on your head would be pretty cool  Cheesy. (Or shaving all but a cross). Teenagers have done worse. I think your parents have little to be concerned about.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »

These questions sound very vain.

I'm going to need this.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »

They don't to me, though I could be mistaken. I think we all have asked questions that in hindsight were less important, troublesome, needful in the clear light of a few years experience and exposure. At the time though we wanted to know, and it was nice when someone helped us understand the vexing details a little better…so we could give more attention to things like learning humility and cultivating other virtues.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: