OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 08:43:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uzbek Orthodox Church institutes tests for godparents  (Read 656 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »

Want to be a godparent to an Orthodox child in Uzbekistan? Better study up. New tests imparted by the Orthodox Church in that country will see to it that prospective godparents attend religious lectures and pass exams.

From the article:
According to Olga, would-be godparents will now have to attend Sunday catechetical lectures which will explain the essence of Christianity and the main point and meaning of baptism.

After attending a total of 12 catechetical lectures, would-be godparents and those who want to be baptised, if they are already 15, will have to pass exams.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

Sounds good.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:01 PM »

Want to be a godparent to an Orthodox child in Uzbekistan? Better study up. New tests imparted by the Orthodox Church in that country will see to it that prospective godparents attend religious lectures and pass exams.

From the article:
According to Olga, would-be godparents will now have to attend Sunday catechetical lectures which will explain the essence of Christianity and the main point and meaning of baptism.

After attending a total of 12 catechetical lectures, would-be godparents and those who want to be baptised, if they are already 15, will have to pass exams.

i love the catechesis aspect, but the exam thing may be overboard...lol
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:16:48 AM »

You can cheat in there....

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »

From the article:

i love the catechesis aspect, but the exam thing may be overboard...lol

Some people have exam anxiety. I think a good talk with a priest would suffice.
But having the exam might motivate people to study.
However, knowledge of the faith does not mean that a person has the faith.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 02:23:52 AM »

There is no "Uzbek Orthodox Church". There is the Metropoly of Central Asia (within the ROC), which includes the Uzbekistanian eparchy.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

This is a good idea especially since so many people do NOT know what it means to be a godparent to a child or a newly illumined convert. some see it as strictly an honorary position and many (from my experience only) do not often come to church and do not know the faith, which is particularly disturbing as godparents have a direct responsibility for bringing up the children in the faith.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

There is no "Uzbek Orthodox Church". There is the Metropoly of Central Asia (within the ROC), which includes the Uzbekistanian eparchy.

This is an example of common English usage (particularly in news reports, due to brevity required in headlines) that you may not be aware of, Vladik. It is not suggesting that there is an autocephalous Uzbek Orthodox Church, but describing what is going on at/in the Orthodox church at a given geographical location. A similar story reported from any other location might be worded similarly: "Monaco Orthodox Church", "San Francisco Orthodox Church", etc., without implying that these are autonomous entities in the way you're reading it.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »

Excellent idea. I think the Church should insist that parents and godparents should be required to go through the same kind of catechism as an adult convert if they're not already well versed in the faith and regularly attend services.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »

No Orthodox Uzbeks? That's a shame.  We shall have to work on that.

To the OP, an excellent idea.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »

This is an example of common English usage (particularly in news reports, due to brevity required in headlines) that you may not be aware of, Vladik. It is not suggesting that there is an autocephalous Uzbek Orthodox Church, but describing what is going on at/in the Orthodox church at a given geographical location. A similar story reported from any other location might be worded similarly: "Monaco Orthodox Church", "San Francisco Orthodox Church", etc., without implying that these are autonomous entities in the way you're reading it.

Thanks, but I just wanted to clear the Central Asian jurisdictional peculiarity.

No Orthodox Uzbeks? That's a shame.  We shall have to work on that.

There is a few Orthodox Uzbeks. Some priests and nuns speak Asian languages, and - I believe - there are some Asian priests either.
The half of Tashkent's population (Uzbekistanian capital) is still European, they make the majority of laity there.

That's a shame.

The same has said Fr Maximus Urbanovicz, when we were talking about local Church's activities, a couple of years ago  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:05:07 PM by Vladik » Logged
Tags: Uzbekistan  godparents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: