OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:35:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who gets to sit on the 12th Throne in heaven? St Paul or Matthias?  (Read 1238 times) Average Rating: 0
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« on: May 24, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

This is just a question for fun but Jesus says in Matthew 19:28 there would be 12 thrones in heaven for the apostles. I would think it's safe to assume that Judas doesn't get one so who gets the 12th throne? St. Paul picked by Christ or Matthias chosen by Peter (and the others) by casting lots?

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

This is just a question for fun but Jesus says in Matthew 19:28 there would be 12 thrones in heaven for the apostles. I would think it's safe to assume that Judas doesn't get one so who gets the 12th throne? St. Paul picked by Christ or Matthias chosen by Peter (and the others) by casting lots?

Let me check the odds at bodog. And we'll wager.

Been cleaning up in the NBA.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »

Whycome not Mark or Luke? Paul and Matthias didn't even try to write a Gospel!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

Paul wrote like three of them or maybe five.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Sort of a Third Letter to the Corinthians type of thing...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Why Orthonorm of course.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »

Everyone knows Paul invented 87% of Christianity and the synoptic authors were his lackey ghost writers.

He didn't manage to monopolize Christianity completely, hence the Gnostic writings of John.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »

Everyone knows Paul invented 87% of Christianity and the synoptic authors were his lackey ghost writers.

He didn't manage to monopolize Christianity completely, hence the Gnostic writings of John.

I never much liked St. Paul. St. Luke did what he could to fix his theology up, but alas...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »

Now, that's a good question.  Huh Undecided

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

Quote from: Happy Lutheran link=topic=44894 police.msg753814#msg753814 date=1337881620

I am going to wear my hyperdox hat and say 'Tsk Tsk Tsk, leave it to a happy Lutheran to choose the dramatic over the subtle as being an act of God. lol  St. Paul got kicked out of his horse, ate dirt, got blinded and got chastised by Christ, you think that is a better way to get to that Throne than St. Matthias, who is chosen by the Holy Spirit in testament of his worth to take the place of the betrayer?' Tongue Tongue I know you guys love st. Paul but jeez! you are fishing for away to sneak him to that sit aren't ya?  police

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »

The twelfth throne is a love seat.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »

Two responses:

<3 AAAWWWWW!!!!!!11!!! THATS. SO. SO. CUTE!!!!11!!!!!!!!! <3

and:

You just gave more ammo to the gay agenda.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:20:16 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »

hehehe I have to say that was quite brilliant! and fitting  laugh

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »

Quote from: Happy Lutheran link=topic=44894 police.msg753814#msg753814 date=1337881620

Matthias, who is chosen by the Holy Spirit in testament of his worth to take the place of the betrayer?' Tongue Tongue I know you guys love st. Paul but jeez! you are fishing for away to sneak him to that sit aren't ya?  police

HaHa

This is all in fun and maybe I'm clearly missing something but Matthias was chosen in chapter 1 of Acts, they clearly pray to God to show them who should be chosen, however the Holy Spirt actually comes to the Apostles in Chapter 2 during Pentecost.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »

Matthias, who is chosen by the Holy Spirit in testament of his worth to take the place of the betrayer?' Tongue Tongue I know you guys love st. Paul but jeez! you are fishing for away to sneak him to that sit aren't ya?  police

HaHa

This is all in fun and maybe I'm clearly missing something but Matthias was chosen in chapter 1 of Acts, they clearly pray to God to show them who should be chosen, however the Holy Spirt actually comes to the Apostles in Chapter 2 during Pentecost.

hehehe I knew it!!! you are trying to sneak him in! good one though!  laugh

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

There actually is a Throne of Judas in heaven.  It is the toilet in the unisex bathroom of the Philips 66 in the Favela overlooking heaven.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

There actually is a Throne of Judas in heaven.  It is the toilet in the unisex bathroom of the Philips 66 in the Favela overlooking heaven.

Oh My! you must work for CIA in  torture chambers Shocked Shocked

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

It's not as exciting as it sounds.  Waterboarding Wednesdays are always a blast, but I rarely get to use the glass stirring rod, blow torch, and pliers anymore.  Usually it's just tons of paper work.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

There actually is a Throne of Judas in heaven.  It is the toilet in the unisex bathroom of the Philips 66 in the Favela overlooking heaven.
It's not as exciting as it sounds.  Waterboarding Wednesdays are always a blast, but I rarely get to use the glass stirring rod, blow torch, and pliers anymore.  Usually it's just tons of paper work.
ROFL
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:46:31 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »

laugh laugh  good one  Grin  the dictator Aladdin tries to say  something similar, but was not remotely as funny as yours.

I saw the dictator the other day, big disappointment, nearly all Sasha's political jokes are those that are on the trailer, the rest is a taunt that goes:  ' are you shocked yet! are your shocked yet? ...... okay okay ... at least tiny tiny bit offended, perhaps grossed out?' I think Sasha could have done so much better, and I am not referring to his ability to making people lough but  with the content itself, although there were moments here and there still... Undecided

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:18 PM »

laugh laugh  good one  Grin  the dictator Aladdin tries to say  something similar, but was not remotely as funny as yours.

I saw the dictator the other day, big disappointment, nearly all Sasha's political jokes are those that are on the trailer, the rest is a taunt that goes:  ' are you shocked yet! are your shocked yet? ...... okay okay ... at least tiny tiny bit offended, perhaps grossed out?' I think Sasha could have done so much better, and I am not referring to his ability to making people lough but  with the content itself, although there were moments here and there still... Undecided

I'm sorry to hear that.  I thought that there was no way a movie could go wrong that was based off of a romance novel penned by Saddam Hussein starring Ali G.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I thought that there was no way a movie could go wrong that was based off of a romance novel penned by Saddam Hussein starring Ali G.

yeah serves me right  Sad

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »

yeah serves me right  Sad

I was being semi-serious.  I thought that would be hilarious.  My heart is shattered to find out otherwise!

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 02:12:52 AM »

If I remember correctly, I think that St. John Chrysostom said in a homily that the thrones are not literal but metaphoric for the honors they will receive. I could be wrong though. Assuming that there are literal thrones though--and I know this is controversial--I think that Judas is the one who will sit on the twelfth seat. I do not think that he was fully lost. He repented and felt enough guilt to give up the money, cry and kill himself. The only problem is that he let despair get to him and as a result killed himself when he should have thrown himself at the feet of his Saviour and prayed. I think that Judas is probably in Heaven right now crying, hugging Jesus being comforted, reconciling.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »

If I remember correctly, I think that St. John Chrysostom said in a homily that the thrones are not literal but metaphoric for the honors they will receive. I could be wrong though. Assuming that there are literal thrones though--and I know this is controversial--I think that Judas is the one who will sit on the twelfth seat. I do not think that he was fully lost. He repented and felt enough guilt to give up the money, cry and kill himself. The only problem is that he let despair get to him and as a result killed himself when he should have thrown himself at the feet of his Saviour and prayed. I think that Judas is probably in Heaven right now crying, hugging Jesus being comforted, reconciling.

James, you might wish to look at the Holy Thursday evening service (Matins of Great Friday), notably this Gospel excerpt, Christ's own words:

“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »

Sounds like Protestant claptrap to me.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »

You need to read up on the writings of St. Dante.  Judas is in the deepest circle of hell along with Brutus and Cassius.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: