OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Singing Prayers before Meals  (Read 1326 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: May 23, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

How many of you actually sing/chant the Our Father or Christ is Risen, etc. before meals? People at my parish seem to do it, but they are mostly converts and I am curious is this is the practice is "normal" Orthodox homes in an Orthodox culture. Are the prayers simply spoken? Do people merely cross themselves? I just still feel a little silly putting on a concert for my non-Orthodox wife and kids before every meal, and if this isn't even normal then it's even more silly.

Remember that for us converts in many things we are babies and have to have the most basic of things laid out for us. Otherwise we end up doing things that other Orthodox would be confused by or weirded-out by. Honestly, I'm just trying to lead my family in prayer and am trying to be faithful to our practices, but I just don't know exactly what those are in all situations.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »

Also, do people generally chant fro their prayerbooks or just read them in a normal voice?
David Leon

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »

I am a convert also, so feel free to disregard anything I write here.  In our home, in ordinary times, we say the Our Father.  During Pascha, we do sing Christ is Risen.  Occasionally, we will sing the troparion of a  feast if most of us know it.  I do know that at the monastery we frequently visit, the nuns sing the troparion of the feast being celebrated, at other times they simply say the Our Father without singing.  I don't think there is a "rule" about this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »

I just recite.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »

[post made in error]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:08:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »

We just say them.   We do have prayer at home where we ALL sing though.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »

In my experience, most people do not pray out loud at meals except for, say, Christmas dinner and such. The prayers are usually not "by the book." More devout people will pray before every meal, not necessarily using the book prayers. I make a point of giving thanks whenever I eat anything, but don't do anything formal unless I'm asked to pray at a family dinner (which is a very rare experience in my life).

Bear in mind that the book prayers are monastic. If your priest gives you any sort of prayer rule, then follow that, but if he hasn't given you any instructions, then don't think that you're obligated to go strictly by the book.

As for chanting versus speaking--I've never hearn if chanting mealtime prayers, but I'm Greek, and I know that Slavic traditions often chant things that we would simply speak. So I don't know what's considered normal in your parish.

--Ruf
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »

In my experience, among Orthodox and Protestants alike, one person leading a prayer at the table is the norm, except at restaurants (though occasionally there too).

When I'm with non-Orthodox people, I pray silently unless I am asked to lead the prayer, in which case I say the Our Father (often the others will join in). It's a prayer everyone is familiar with, and is appropriate for all situations.

When I'm at an Orthodox home, I follow the family tradition. In most homes I've eaten at (both cradles and converts), everyone stands and faces the icons to say the Our Father or sing the troparion if it's a feast day. Then the head of the household (or clergy if present) blesses the food.

So in my experience, the Orthodox "normal" way is to do the whole "concert" thing, but I think among non-Orthodox people there's nothing wrong with saying the Our Father and a short blessing on the food. As Rufus suggested, these prayers were developed in Orthodox cultures and may be a bit much for non-Orthodox people; there's nothing wrong with exercising a bit of personal economia in those situations. I like the Orthodox tradition of standing to pray before the meal, though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:49:29 PM by age234 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »

At meals by myself (@work, out n about, wife's not home): I make the sign of the cross, bow my head and say to myself- "Bless the food of your humble servant. Amen."

If I'm with my wife we make the sign of the cross and say the above prayer out loud (not too loud).

For the evening prayers: Always in front of the icons and always chanted out loud.

If others are comfortable singing, chanting every prayer... more power to 'em.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:38 AM »

this thread has helped me to realize that i need to get better about praying before meals in general.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »

I can't say that I've ever sang before meals; morning/evening prayers sometimes.

This definitely is Hyperdox Herman content though.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »

I've never heard chanting before meals - not even when the prayers are led by the priest when we eat together after DL - amongst either the Greeks or the Romanians, which are the only cradle Orthodox I have any experience with. I've only ever heard the prayers spoken and I certainly have never chanted them myself.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

I've never heard chanting before meals - not even when the prayers are led by the priest when we eat together after DL - amongst either the Greeks or the Romanians, which are the only cradle Orthodox I have any experience with. I've only ever heard the prayers spoken and I certainly have never chanted them myself.

James

My experience of chanting before meals has been by those of Russian/Slavic tradition, whether layman (those who have some chanting or singing ability) or cleric. The default is the Lord's Prayer, followed by the standard prayer for blessing of food. If a feast, the troparion of the day replaces the Lord's Prayer.

Perhaps the reason why Greeks do not chant at mealtime prayers is because the Lord's Prayer is intoned, not chanted or sung, during the Divine Liturgy, whereas it is chanted or sung in Slavic practice.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

Do y'all always cross your meals? I was doing that at lunch but felt kinda showy so I just went back to crossing myself.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:47:58 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »

I've read somewhere that Georgian families traditionally sing the Trisagion ("Tsmindao Ghmerto") before meals.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »

Do y'all always cross your meals? I was doing that at lunch but felt kinda showy so I just went back to crossing myself.

If it seems too showy then do it inwardly. As one hagiography I read put it, we usually cross with our arms and hands, but the important part is praying with our heart.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

We don't even sing the Our Father in our parish.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »

Also, do people generally chant from their prayerbooks or just read them in a normal voice?

This post was actually a fake bump.  Wink
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »

Usually I say (rather not aloud) a short prayer from my prayerbook before and after the meal and make the sing of cross. Only on such great festivals as Pascha, Christmas, Theophany, our Slava etc. we chant (well, I do it) e.g. troparion of the feast or some piece of the festal canon. During pilgrimages or other Orthodox meetings in Poland we sing "Our Father" before the meal and after it a special prayer.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

How many of you actually sing/chant the Our Father or Christ is Risen, etc. before meals? People at my parish seem to do it, but they are mostly converts and I am curious is this is the practice is "normal" Orthodox homes in an Orthodox culture. Are the prayers simply spoken? Do people merely cross themselves? I just still feel a little silly putting on a concert for my non-Orthodox wife and kids before every meal, and if this isn't even normal then it's even more silly.

Remember that for us converts in many things we are babies and have to have the most basic of things laid out for us. Otherwise we end up doing things that other Orthodox would be confused by or weirded-out by. Honestly, I'm just trying to lead my family in prayer and am trying to be faithful to our practices, but I just don't know exactly what those are in all situations.

Christ is Risen or the feast day troparion has normally been sung in the Greek households I've been to, although many will simply read them. Singing the Our Father before meals seems a little strange. The only time it's sung is during the Divine Liturgy (in any other service it's simply read), and even then only in the Slavic tradition, so I don't see why it should be sung before meals. The Axion Estin after the meal is normally sung, however, since that is an actual hymn.

Also, do people generally chant from their prayerbooks or just read them in a normal voice?

If by chant you mean read in monotone, I do both depending on what I feel helps me focus on that particular day. My wife normally just reads, so since I say most of my prayers with her, I tend to do the same. We always sing the troparia/kontakia of the day, though, and the 'Awed by the beauty' at the end of Compline.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: