OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is fasting???  (Read 1501 times) Average Rating: 0
KO63AP

Грай, кобзарю! ЛÐÂ

« on: November 03, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/news/story.psp?cat=50900&id=2004110308390002657251

Ті, що сіють у сльозах, пожнуть у радосÑ
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:20:04 PM »

Well, to be fair, faithful Muslims give 20% of their income to the poor--and many Orthodox and Catholics won't even give 10%!*

Anastasios

* (If you are one of the people who really would like to give more but can't, please don't think you are the persons to whom I am referring).

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 03:48:38 PM »

Well, to be fair, faithful Muslims give 20% of their income to the poor--and many Orthodox and Catholics won't even give 10%!*

Well, actually, that's really only for the Shi'ites, who consider the khums tax to apply to all income. Sunni Muslims (of which I was one for a time) only apply khums to things like treasure from the ground and war booty, so the only tax they pay on ordinary income is the zakah, which is 2.5 %.

As for gaining weight during Ramadan, I can believe it. You would not believe the feasts that Pakistani Muslim families put on. It was always difficult to pray the night prayer after one of those.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:51:47 PM by Beayf » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:54:55 PM »

wow, you used to be Muslim? Care to post a conversion story???

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 04:08:35 PM »

Beayf,

If you are interested in posting such a story, I know that I would definitely be interested in hearing it as well!

In Christ,
Aaron
gphadraig

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 07:02:19 AM »

To eat or drink nothing at all during the hours of daylight must be rather difficult. As to whether one calls it fasting, for those who browse whatever the time of day or night I guess it would be............

Age is honourable and youth noble
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 08:59:02 PM »

Sure, although it's not terribly exciting. Basically, I was raised Catholic by fairly devout parents, but early on rejected it, I think now because the church we went to was V2 all the way, hand-holding, accordion-playing nonsense. To me it was just silly. So for most of my adolescent years I was an atheist neopagan, but the summer before my senior year of high school I read the Qur'an, though "cool", and decided to convert. I was only Muslim for a year, and think of it as shock therapy getting me back into the habit of worshipping God, but when I went off to uni I pretty much ditched it, mainly because of its fundamentalistish features - it, or at least the non-Sufi variants, have very little depth of theology. So I meandered along for a while, attending a local Tridentine mass, until an Orthodox friend of mine took me to a divine liturgy, and from there I was hooked.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 10:37:18 PM »

Sure, although it's not terribly exciting. Basically, I was raised Catholic by fairly devout parents, but early on rejected it, I think now because the church we went to was V2 all the way, hand-holding, accordion-playing nonsense.

I know exactly what you are talking about when you described your church and I nunderstand why that would be a turn off. That was big issue with me when I was considering becoming RC and I just couldn't even begin to think how I could put up with that at every Mass, because those kinds of things are fairly common in the Diocese of Joliet. The whole idea of trying to search out a church that actually followed the rubrics and had a reverent Mass was something that I felt that I shouldn't have to search for, it shouldn't even be an issue. I never felt as if I had just come from worship, it was more like some campy, hippie styled Lutheran liturgy, blech.  :-

So I meandered along for a while, attending a local Tridentine mass, until an Orthodox friend of mine took me to a divine liturgy, and from there I was hooked.

You sound like myself - when I first attended the Divine Liturgy it was totally different from anything I had ever participated in and it left me craving more and now here I am only 6 days away from being chrismated into the Holy Orthodox Church.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, may God bless you.

In Christ,
Aaron
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

Sure, although it's not terribly exciting. Basically, I was raised Catholic by fairly devout parents, but early on rejected it, I think now because the church we went to was V2 all the way, hand-holding, accordion-playing nonsense.

I know exactly what you are talking about when you described your church and I nunderstand why that would be a turn off. That was big issue with me when I was considering becoming RC and I just couldn't even begin to think how I could put up with that at every Mass, because those kinds of things are fairly common in the Diocese of Joliet. The whole idea of trying to search out a church that actually followed the rubrics and had a reverent Mass was something that I felt that I shouldn't have to search for, it shouldn't even be an issue. I never felt as if I had just come from worship, it was more like some campy, hippie styled Lutheran liturgy, blech.  :-

So I meandered along for a while, attending a local Tridentine mass, until an Orthodox friend of mine took me to a divine liturgy, and from there I was hooked.

You sound like myself - when I first attended the Divine Liturgy it was totally different from anything I had ever participated in and it left me craving more and now here I am only 6 days away from being chrismated into the Holy Orthodox Church.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, may God bless you.

In Christ,
Aaron

I was prevatican II until everything changed when I was 14. then it seemed like a footrace to see how fast we could get silly. I have hung in and tried to get with the program for 46 years. I am inquiring and love what I see. Much the same in theory butwill less legalism and more faithful to tradition(large and small Tees)

Tags edited - MK.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:47:57 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »

To eat or drink nothing at all during the hours of daylight must be rather difficult. As to whether one calls it fasting, for those who browse whatever the time of day or night I guess it would be............

I know plenty of Muslims who simply sleep as late as they can and essentially rearrange their schedule to avoid too much difficulty.  That's about as "fasty" as gorging on South Indian cuisine on Wednesdays and Fridays.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »

I know plenty of Muslims who simply sleep as late as they can and essentially rearrange their schedule to avoid too much difficulty.  That's about as "fasty" as gorging on South Indian cuisine on Wednesdays and Fridays.

I was going to say something about gorging on Thai food.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

I was going to say something about gorging on Thai food.

Mmmmm... tasty fasting...  Smiley  I think much of Thomas a Kempis' Imitation of Christ was about searching for and eating very flavorful fast-compliant foods. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: