OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titles Theological  (Read 227 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »

Ok, a probably obscure topic here. When was St. Gregory first called "the Theologian," and when was St. Symeon first called "the New Theologian"? Also, when did these become official, or at least normative.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:34 AM »

While I don't know the answer to your question, it is my understanding that "New" and "Theologian" are two different titles. That is, St. Symeon the New was later given the title Theologian.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »

St Gregory was acclaimed "the Theologian" by the Fathers of the Council of Chalcedon.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

St Gregory was acclaimed "the Theologian" by the Fathers of the Council of Chalcedon.
Interesting, because in the Coptic Orthodox Liturgy of St. Basil he is also called "the Theologian." Is this an example of the two Churches "cross-breading" even after the events of the council?

As this, O Lord, is the command of Your only-begotten Son, that we share in the commemoration of Your saints, graciously accord, O Lord, to remember all the saints who have pleased You since the beginning.

Our holy fathers the patriarchs, the prophets, the apostles, the preachers, the evangelists, the martyrs, the confessors, and all the spirits of the righteous perfected in the faith.

Most of all, the pure, full-of- glory, ever-virgin, holy Theotokos, Saint Mary, who truly gave birth to God the Logos.

And Saint John the forerunner, Baptist, and martyr; Saint Stephen the archdeacon and protomartyr; the beholder-of-God Saint Mark the evangelist, the apostle and martyr; the patriarch Saint Severus; our teacher Dioscorus; Saint Athanasius the Apostolic; Saint Peter, the Holy martyr and high priest; Saint John Chrysostom; Saint Theodosius; Saint Theophilus; Saint Demetrius; Saint Cyril; Saint Basil; Saint Gregory the Theologian; Gregory the wonder worker; Saint Gregory the Armenian; the three hundred and eighteen assembled at Nicea; the one hundred and fifty at Constantinople; and the two hundred at Ephesus; our righteous father, the great Abba Anthony; the righteous Abba Paul; the three saints Abba Macarii and all their children, the cross-bearers; our father Abba John the hegumen; our righteous father Abba Pishoy, the perfect man, the beloved of our good Savior.

Our father Abba Paul of Tammoh and Ezekiel his disciple; my masters, the Roman fathers Saints Maximus and Dometius; the Forty-nine Martyrs; elders of Shiheet; the strong saint Abba Moses;John Kame the priest; our father Abba Daniel the hegumen; our father Abba Isidore the priest; our father Abba Pachom of the Koinonia, and Theodore his disciple; our father Abba Shenoute the archimandrite, and Abba Wesa his disciple.And Abba Abraam the Bishop of Fayom and Giza.

And all the choir of Your saints, through whose prayers and supplications have mercy on us all and save us, for the sake of Your holy name, which is called upon us.

http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/index.php?a=view&id=2045
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:01:01 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »

Perhaps the Fathers of Chalcedon weren't the first to call St. Gregory of Nazianzus "the Theologian" but merely recognised what was already done by many people.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: