OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Bush's Icon?  (Read 3495 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: November 02, 2004, 10:57:12 PM »

They just showed pictures of George Bush and family in their private apartment within the white house.  Did anyone notice the Icon of the Theotokos on the table next to the sofa he was sitting on?

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:07:53 PM »

I was JUST about to post this!  I saw it too!  I saw it and looked back twice just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 11:28:20 PM »

Yeah. What is that about?
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 12:13:06 AM »

[Yeah. What is that about? ]

And your reason for posting such a reply is what?  What are you all about?

Orthodoc

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 12:19:48 AM »

His brother converted to Roman Catholicism. Perhaps it was a gift?

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 12:21:48 AM »

And your reason for posting such a reply is what?  

Bush is an Evangelical Protestant and icons of Mary holding Jesus are generally not found on their tables.

What are you all about?

I'm all about pissing you off.  Roll Eyes
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 12:33:46 AM »

Geez, Orthodoc; take it easy!

I wondered why an Evangelical had something like that, too.

I'm all about pissing you off.

LOL...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »

<Remembering initial reason for reading the thread>

I was thinking when I first saw the title of the thread, that someone had DARED make an icon of Dubya.  2 things:

1) How DARE someone beat Nacho to what he would no doubt consider an holy act?  Grin

2) An icon of Dubya...might bring out a little iconoclast in me... Grin Grin Grin

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:38:23 AM »

I can not be sure of this because first I did not see the TV and secondly this is pure speculation on my part...

There have been several Orthodox Hierarchs who have visited Pres Bush and it is often the case that a gift is presented to him so I would not be surprised that this was such a gift.

Joseph
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:42:31 AM »

<Remembering initial reason for reading the thread>

I was thinking when I first saw the title of the thread, that someone had DARED make an icon of Dubya.

That is exactly what I was thinking, Pedro. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to open the thread to see this icon of George W. Bush, but at the exact same time I had a sick fascination where I kinda wanted to it, but at the time not want to see it because it would have made me salty.

Glad to know this was not the case at all!  Grin

In Christ,
Aaron
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 12:57:17 AM »

1) How DARE someone beat Nacho to what he would no doubt consider an holy act?  

LoL.... Cool Cool Cool I would say pretty close to the truth there Pedro;)
I would also admit it can't be any worse than the Mathew Sheperd & Martin Luther King icons I have seen on a few leftist websites Grin

On another note, this election is really stressing me out....Looks like Doctor Jack Daniels might have to pay me a visit tonight if the numbers in Ohio for W don't hold up  Huh

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 03:45:07 AM »

I thought they would make an icon of him somewhere.
He has a picture, taken in some Catholic school or so, where he is giving a speech in front of an icon of the ascension of the Lord, where W is between the hands of the Lord. Very touching . I hope President Chenney would also be depicted  like that. Not only islamic fundamentals are using religion to advance their political agenda.

By the way, which brother converted to RC ? Is it Jepp Bush ?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 04:35:41 AM »

WoooHoooo!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Just happy W has won it!!! Too bad the trial lawyer boys aren't conceding the election yet even though there is no way they can win, man talk about no class......

Another good thing is Daschle has lost his seat, looks like he couldn't pull off the closed doors indian reservation voting this time around.....& we gained across the board in both the senate & house!!! This is a great win for traditionalist.  Cool

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 05:06:24 AM »

WoooHoooo!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Just happy W has won it!!! Too bad the trial lawyer boys aren't conceding the election yet even though there is no way they can win, man talk about no class......

Another good thing is Daschle has lost his seat, looks like he couldn't pull off the closed doors indian reservation voting this time around.....& we gained across the board in both the senate & house!!! This is a great win for traditionalist.  Cool
Yes, W won it, and Chenney will have another four years as president.  Grin .

The only good thing I can think of of this outcome is that the Democrats will have to rethink their liberal policies. If they can't win now, with the economy at its lowest point in history after the great years of CLinton, after wasting the surplus and with an administration that favors the top 1% of America and who should only have got these portion of the votes, with a disasterous war and a lousy performance in the White House that led to 9/11, with social security and medical health insurance managed terribly, and still lose, and loose big, from White House to COngress to Governor seats to the WHite House, and against a president that has no charisma whatsoever, there has to be a drastic change in the Democratic party and I hope it will be their liberal agenda.

By the way, I do not think Republicans should talk about class. O'Reilly Grin, Hannity  Grin, Pearl  Grin, Rove  Grin, Chenney  Grin will not help this cause.

And the worst thing, it will be Hillary running in 2008.  Sad

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 07:33:27 AM »

Yep, Stavro, that pretty much sums it up.

America asked for it....

erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 09:00:05 AM »

Umm...yep, I also thought someone had painted an "icon" of Bush!

Language, Tom...

NULL
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 09:54:18 AM »

and a lousy performance in the White House that led to 9/11

hey Sad i'm sorry, but i don't think this comment was appropriate...it is supremely uncharitable and unfair to lay such an event at the feet of anyone but the terrorists behind it, let alone the person who is our president, whether he continues to be next January or not...i dislike politics with a passion, and try to stay out of it, but gradually over the past months and especially now, i have become very tired of people disrespecting the person running our country, whether you're in his party or not...we're all in the same country, after all, which is supposed to be far stronger a bond...if the president I didn't vote for gets elected, although I will be upset, I will still treat our new president with respect...

just my 2 cents....off to a long day of class...

hmmmm...
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 10:10:09 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I'm guessing its a gift from the Greek Orthodox Archbishop.  He's been at the White House more times than I can remember.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 10:56:39 AM »

[I'm guessing its a gift from the Greek Orthodox Archbishop.  He's been at the White House more times than I can remember.]

I think you may be right.  The former GO Archbishop and the presidents father were close during his presidency.

Orthodoc

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 01:55:27 PM »

it is supremely uncharitable and unfair to lay such an event at the feet of anyone but the terrorists behind it, let alone the person who is our president, whether he continues to be next January or not

Just because someone is the president does not mean they should be immune from criticism. The president is not a king, and he does not have a divine mandate. He was not annointed by the Church, nor is he a particularly holy man. He's just a rich yutz with questionable morals and a fake Texas accent, who happened to have been voted for by slightly more people.

we're all in the same country, after all, which is supposed to be far stronger a bond...if the president I didn't vote for gets elected, although I will be upset, I will still treat our new president with respect...

I did not vote for Bush, and have no respect at all for the man. He does not represent me in the slightest. He is my ruler, but not my leader.

And yes, I believe that 9/11 was a direct result of the US's ham-fisted meddling in the Islamic world over the past two decades. Nobody deserves to be blown up, but if you mess with a snake, you're gonna get bit.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »

hey  i'm sorry, but i don't think this comment was appropriate...it is supremely uncharitable and unfair to lay such an event at the feet of anyone but the terrorists behind it, let alone the person who is our president, whether he continues to be next January or not...i dislike politics with a passion, and try to stay out of it, but gradually over the past months and especially now, i have become very tired of people disrespecting the person running our country, whether you're in his party or not...we're all in the same country, after all, which is supposed to be far stronger a bond...if the president I didn't vote for gets elected, although I will be upset, I will still treat our new president with respect...

My sentiments also Donna......How can you blame someone that was in office for only 8 months for the 9/11 debacle when the prior administration had 8 years.

Yes, W won it, and Chenney will have another four years as president.

LoL.....Yea, have heard this many times by the conspiracy theorist Cool

By the way, I do not think Republicans should talk about class. O'Reilly , Hannity  , Pearl  , Rove  , Chenney   will not help this cause.

Uhhhh, I could give you a list of lefties also, so it's a mute point.

And the worst thing, it will be Hillary running in 2008.  

Shrillery doesn't have a chance in 08' Shocked

The only good thing I can think of of this outcome is that the Democrats will have to rethink their liberal policies. If they can't win now, with the economy at its lowest point in history after the great years of CLinton, after wasting the surplus and with an administration that favors the top 1% of America and who should only have got these portion of the votes, with a disasterous war and a lousy performance in the White House that led to 9/11, with social security and medical health insurance managed terribly, and still lose, and loose big, from White House to COngress to Governor seats to the WHite House, and against a president that has no charisma whatsoever, there has to be a drastic change in the Democratic party and I hope it will be their liberal agenda.

Wow, this is a loaded one. Let me first start with your false notion with the economy being at it's lowest point, unless you are refering to the unemplyment rate which is at all time historical lows 8)When Clinton ran for re-election, the unemployment rate was 5.6% as compared to the 5.4% now. You can also make a small case for outsourcing in some areas, but that roller coaster started under Clinton's free trade policies. The unemployment rate is lower than all of the 70's, 80's, & 90's combined. Also, the great years of Clinton were also due to the republican sweeping the house & senate & forced him to endorse more of thier economic policies, which Clinton did when he signed onto 7 of the 10 major points of the GOP's contract with america which spurred the booming economy.

W also just doesn't favor the top1%, but all americans who pay taxes. The left loves to spin the class warfare rhetoric, but Bush only brought the top bracket down from 39% to 35%. His philosophy is that government should not take anymore than 35% of anyone's money, which I agree. I think the left needs to stop with the talking points& actually go talk to some of these rich people they disparage all the time. These are the producers of our society & trust me they just don't let thier money sit & rot in a bank account somewhere in switzerland, they are reinvesting & starting new companies, thus creating jobs. It's a complete joke that anyone is gullible to beleive that Kerry would have created jobs by taxing small businesses & others that invest in our ecenomy and create jobs. There has been a 1.3 million job surplus in the last year because of W's policies, that is one of the fastest job growth rates in our history.

If you want to blame anyone for the healthcare and social security crisis, don't even blame the republicans for this. I would put alot of blame with all the trial lawyers on the left & the Dem's refusal to put caps on lawsuits against healthcare providers & tort reform. Many in my generation (us younger folk) are mad as hell that the Dem's have blocked any reforms in social security which the president has tried to do. I would like to have part of that go into a mutual fund account with much higher returns. I also want to have a voice in where this large chunk of money the left is stealing from my paycheck. I've never also understand the reason why some christians think that the government should take care of us because I could have sworn that Christ said for the church to care for those in need. This must be some of the same people that argue against giving God his tithe while they throw pennies in for their tithe. They are more concerned about rendering unto Caesar than unto God.

Finally, I would agree with you that the Dems will continue to be big losers unless they shake themselves of thier liberalism. W recieved 3 million more votes than Kerry along with recieving the most votes in history, carried the majority of the states, swept the house & senate, & all of this because the Dems just don't get it that liberalism doesn't play to well with americans. If they gave us pro-lifers & christians a platform & voice in thier party, they would be so much better off. They need to stop catoring to all the sewer groups that most of us despise. I would totally vote anyday for a prolife democrat if there were any. It would be nice if we had that option.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »

At least now the Republicans have absolute control of the government (president, both houses, supreme court, majority of governors), so when the country goes to shite in the next four years they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

I can't wait.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 02:23:34 PM »

..so when the country goes to shite in the next four years they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

Where is that? Is that where that Muslim sect is from? And why would the Republicans blame themselves for going there?  Smiley
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 02:29:42 PM »

Where is that? Is that where that Muslim sect is from? And why would the Republicans blame themselves for going there?

It's the place where the country is headed. Between MonkeyBoy's jolly jaunts abroad and his insane fiscal policies, this country's headed straight down the crapper. I can only hope that whoever comes into power after Bushie and his cronies have had their fun has enough toilet paper to wipe up the mess.

And for the record, I am not a liberal (in the common use of the word), nor am I a Democrat.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004, 02:53:45 PM »

[size=24]UH OH! SOMEBODY VIOLATED THE POLITICAL DISCUSSION BAN![/size]  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 02:54:05 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: