OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:28:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom Explanation  (Read 396 times) Average Rating: 0
copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »

Khristos Anesti!

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could lead me to an online video, which explains the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. I really need it ASAP for academic purposes, and I already tried contacting my only local Eastern Orthodox priest to meet with me but unfortunately, he will not email me back, so I now have to resort to online sources.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Copticyouth93
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

There are several books that explain the Divine Liturgy.

One is published by Father John Hopko of the OCA.
It is their four-book "rainbow collection" on the Orthodox Church.
It is online at their website: www.oca.org
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:50:03 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

Khristos Anesti!

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could lead me to an online video, which explains the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. I really need it ASAP for academic purposes, and I already tried contacting my only local Eastern Orthodox priest to meet with me but unfortunately, he will not email me back, so I now have to resort to online sources.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Copticyouth93
does it have to be a video?

http://books.google.com/books?id=JlNyqc0k910C&pg=PA55&dq=Germanus+Ecclesiastical+history&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dxe8T_7wHcn46QHc3MBO&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Germanus%20Ecclesiastical%20history&f=false
http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/liturch2.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=Es8IUlpYMGAC&pg=PA128&dq=Germanos+Ecclesiastical+history&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Uhe8T86GIueM6QGZsbku&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Germanos%20Ecclesiastical%20history&f=false

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
copticyouth93

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »

Thank you for your help.

I think I need to elaborate on what I need exactly. I really don't need a biblical commentary or explanation for what's going on; What I need is the order for the rituals of the liturgy, such as, "Here, the Priest puts a spoon of incense in the censor, or "Now the priest selects the prosphora most suitable to become the body of Christ, and wraps it in a special linen called ___." There is an especially helpful series on google video linked here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3496817512479385699

The problem is, this series doesn't continue after the reading of the gospel, which is the Liturgy of the Believers. This is the most important part, as I believe everything prior is not really considered the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (at least in the Coptic Church, it isn't until after the reading of the Gospel that the respective liturgy is prayed (Liturgy of St. Basil, Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian, Liturgy of St. Cyril).

Copticyouth93
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »

Thank you for your help.

I think I need to elaborate on what I need exactly. I really don't need a biblical commentary or explanation for what's going on; What I need is the order for the rituals of the liturgy, such as, "Here, the Priest puts a spoon of incense in the censor, or "Now the priest selects the prosphora most suitable to become the body of Christ, and wraps it in a special linen called ___." There is an especially helpful series on google video linked here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3496817512479385699

The problem is, this series doesn't continue after the reading of the gospel, which is the Liturgy of the Believers. This is the most important part, as I believe everything prior is not really considered the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (at least in the Coptic Church, it isn't until after the reading of the Gospel that the respective liturgy is prayed (Liturgy of St. Basil, Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian, Liturgy of St. Cyril).

Copticyouth93
this?
http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/liturgy/liturgy.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
copticyouth93

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »

Excellent! Many thanks!

I guess I'll use this thread now to ask the questions that I am bound to run into, beginning with these:

Is it still common practice in the Eastern Orthodox Church to have Catechumens exit, before the Great Entrance?

If I understood this correctly, the bread and wine are presented during the Great Entrance, after the reading of the Gospel?

Thanks,
Copticyouth93
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: