OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:57:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Martin Luther mean to do what he did?  (Read 2396 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »

No, he wouldn't have wanted things to turn out the way they have but it's still better than the Papacy.

Better to deal with one Roman Pope than millions of individual protestant popes.  Cool

Why? I know lots of 'individual protestant popes' who have ended up converting to Orthodoxy. I am not aware of single Roman Pope who has done so in the last 900+ years.

According to Scott Hahn (formerly protestant, now neo-conservative Roman Catholic):

Upon closer examination, I found the various Orthodox churches to be hopelessly divided among themselves, similar to the Protestants, except that the Orthodox were split along the lines of ethnic nationalisms

(See the thread Something rotten in the state of ecumenism.)
Okay. Undecided What do you hope to convey by saying this?
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »

No, he wouldn't have wanted things to turn out the way they have but it's still better than the Papacy.

Better to deal with one Roman Pope than millions of individual protestant popes.  Cool

Why? I know lots of 'individual protestant popes' who have ended up converting to Orthodoxy. I am not aware of single Roman Pope who has done so in the last 900+ years.

According to Scott Hahn (formerly protestant, now neo-conservative Roman Catholic):

Upon closer examination, I found the various Orthodox churches to be hopelessly divided among themselves, similar to the Protestants, except that the Orthodox were split along the lines of ethnic nationalisms

Not sure what he was trying to convey, but I certainly know what he did convey.  Wink

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

Not sure what he was trying to convey, but I certainly know what he did convey.  Wink

You're not going to just leave us hanging, are you?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:58 AM »

You're not going to just leave us hanging, are you?

Hmmm ... I guess you did want to leave us hanging.  Undecided

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

I can't speak for Luther, but the Lutheran Confessions at least pose a quite different version of "sola scriptura" than most Prots hold.  Lutherans are certainly not Orthodox in their understanding of Scripture, but the Confessions do not hold to a "me and my Bible" position either.  They cite to the Fathers to support their views.  Sometimes errantly, to be sure.  But the point is not that they cite to the Fathers properly, but rather that they believed themselves to be reading Scripture as the Church has always read Scripture.  So there was an element of tradition in Lutheranism that is not present among much of Protestantism.

This is why the historic Western liturgy was largely maintained (though, as was noted earlier, modified to suit Lutheran theological presuppositions), etc.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:36:33 AM by David Garner » Logged

Tags: Martin Luther 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: