OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 12:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions regarding the Psalter  (Read 593 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: May 21, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

Hello,

I know some of you think that I am troll - and, in all honesty, I have acted like one these past few days.  For that, I apologize - and I apologize to each of you whom I've like a jerk towards.  There really is no excuse for my uncharitable words.  By God's grace, you will surely see a change in my attitude around these forums for the better.

With that being said, I was wondering if some of you would mind answering my questions concerning the Psalter - something which has been the cornerstone of my daily prayer life for months now, if not years.

First, as Orthodox Christians, how do you (individually) prefer to pray the Psalter?  Who here prefers using an actual Psalter (such as the pocket Psalter produced by HTM)?  Who here prays the Psalter straight from a (larger) Bible?

Second, is it acceptable to use a Psalter which is not based on the Septuagint?

Third, does anyone know of a website or some list which specifically cites each of the translational discrepancies between the Hebrew Masoretic and Greek Septuagint Psalters?  The reason why I ask is because I would like to mark in my Bible where the most significant of these translational discrepancies occur and what they are.

Thank you,
Chris

Tasting is Believing
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

I use the HTM psalter because it fits conveniently in my hands and I find the division into kathismata and stases makes it easier to maintain a steady pace (given how much individual psalms vary in length).

I know some people get worked up about the difference between the Septuagint and Masoretic, and if you are using it for doctrine, particularly doctrine that depends on specific phrasing (i.e., a 'virgin' shall be with child) then obviously you should be using the Septuagint. But for straight devotional use, I don't think it makes a huge difference--it's not like the Masoretes were working from a radically different text than the Seventy. If you can get a translation from the Septuagint that meets your other needs (cost, portability, etc) then I'd recommend it, but in the meantime there's nothing wrong with using a Masoretic-based version to pray with.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »

I have an HTM pocket psalter that I like to use. It's inexpensive, very good quality, and convenient.

I would use Septuagint translations if possible, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing flagrantly heretical in the Masoretic Text. It does not express some aspects of Orthodox theology as well as the Septuagint that the Fathers were using, but it's not a big deal.

Those little New Testament + Psalter books the Gideons give out would be great for Orthodox use. You can read the Psalter and the appointed daily readings all in one place.

I don't have one, but I've often thought this would be a helpful book also. In addition to the NT and Psalms, it has some icons and daily prayers. It's intended for people in the military, but it would seem useful all around: http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/english-rsv-/military-orthodox-new-testament-and-psalms-leadership-100-rsv.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:57:07 PM by age234 » Logged
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

I know some people get worked up about the difference between the Septuagint and Masoretic, and if you are using it for doctrine, particularly doctrine that depends on specific phrasing (i.e., a 'virgin' shall be with child) then obviously you should be using the Septuagint. But for straight devotional use, I don't think it makes a huge difference--it's not like the Masoretes were working from a radically different text than the Seventy. If you can get a translation from the Septuagint that meets your other needs (cost, portability, etc) then I'd recommend it, but in the meantime there's nothing wrong with using a Masoretic-based version to pray with.

The reason why I ask pertains to portability.  I try to read the Bible everyday, including the Psalms.  Rather than carry around my prayerbook, the HTM Psalter plus a Bible, it would make so much more sense to not carry around the additional Psalter; however, I have done so in order to be using the canonical Psalter.  I am now wondering just how superfluous this might actually be.  Like you, I try to stay within the division of kathismata/stases, but I don't think you need the HTM Psalter to accomplish this as the kathismata/stases can be marked in a regular Bible, taking note of Masoretic numbering.

Concerning your point about the doctrinal matters contained within the Septuagint, this is why I would like to see a full list of those differences.  Where appropriate, I could insert a marginal gloss for ease of reference.

Tasting is Believing
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »

I don't have one, but I've often thought this would be a helpful book also. In addition to the NT and Psalms, it has some icons and daily prayers. It's intended for people in the military, but it would seem useful all around: http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/english-rsv-/military-orthodox-new-testament-and-psalms-leadership-100-rsv.html

only 5$?? Thats not a bad deal.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

When I pray it, I use the HTM Psalter, because of the division into Kathismata, and because the larger print usually keeps me from suddenly realizing that the word I just said makes no sense, and then stopping to see what the actual word was.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »

When I pray it, I use the HTM Psalter, because of the division into Kathismata, and because the larger print usually keeps me from suddenly realizing that the word I just said makes no sense, and then stopping to see what the actual word was.

Butter mountain. Smiley

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »

Butter mountain. Smiley

One of my favorites!  laugh laugh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Butter mountain. Smiley

One of my favorites!  laugh laugh

Why suppose ye there be other mountains? Smiley

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »

Butter mountain. Smiley

I lol'd and then had no come back.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »

I like the HTM Psalter but will use what ever is available. The important thing is to use it the Lord will take care of the blessings that come from it.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: Psalter 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: