OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 12:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumen this Sunday  (Read 1060 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »

I have the opportunity to become a catechumen this Sunday.  I am very excited, but slightly nervous too as I think my wife is a little bit hesitant regarding my decision.  As I mentioned in the other thread, she is only worried about dealing with our future children if she were to choose not to become Orthodox.  Other than that, she seems fine.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »

Glory to God.

Pleased to see this, Timon, and I hope, in time, the family issues sort themselves well.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »

Congratulations!  Grin

The continual guidance of the holy Spirit will continue to direct things between you and your wife.  I say this because it's the only way I am capable of getting through my own situation: surrender.

Tasting is Believing
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »

Dear Timon,

That's good news.  

Lord Have Mercy!

love, elephant
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

Congratulations! I hope it doesn't take you as long as it did me, and I pray that your wife will feel at home soon.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »

I have to admit that its a little hard to go through with something when I know shes having a hard time with it.  weve talked a lot about the Church over the last year, but now that I am actually becoming a catechumen, it seems like its actually starting to feel real to her.   Im going to talk to her some more this week.  I may talk to the priest about moving it back a week or two.  Not sure yet.

I hope im not sounding lame.  I feel 100% ready to join the church, but i dont want to hurt my wife either.  it shouldnt make a huge difference as i have been going to church there regularly anyways. whats the difference if i technically become a member?  just continue to pray for me and pray for her!

thanks again everyone.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »

Timon,

I share your concern, friend!  However, while my fiance has expressed some interest in eventually becoming Orthodox, there's the big question of how far off "eventually" could be.  She's never around on Sunday for Divine Liturgy, much less for the evening inquiry/catechumen classes.  She's not even around to talk about "eventually" joining the catechumenate with the priest.  (Some days I wonder if she even exists.)  As a result, my ability to follow through with joining the catechumenate continues to be delayed.  The priest would like to receive us both into the catechumenate at the same time, which I can understand.  I am going to see how things progress this summer before freaking out.

Tasting is Believing
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »

I have to admit that its a little hard to go through with something when I know shes having a hard time with it.  weve talked a lot about the Church over the last year, but now that I am actually becoming a catechumen, it seems like its actually starting to feel real to her.   Im going to talk to her some more this week.  I may talk to the priest about moving it back a week or two.  Not sure yet.
Tell her that you feel it's hard to go thru with it when you know she's having a hard time. Although we were both interested in Orthodoxy, my husband was chrismated right away, right after we finished the catechumen classes. It took me a lot longer - I was looking for loopholes!  Wink

I hope im not sounding lame.  I feel 100% ready to join the church, but i dont want to hurt my wife either.
You don't sound lame at all.

it shouldnt make a huge difference as i have been going to church there regularly anyways. whats the difference if i technically become a member?

Grin Just you wait and see....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:39:44 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

I have the opportunity to become a catechumen this Sunday.

Lord, in your Mercy ....

Congratulations - from one Catechumen to another.

Not all those who wander are lost.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »

Congratulations!

Smiley

Excellent news! 

Remember, YOU are the representative example of Orthodoxy to your wife.  Be a great example.  Be filled with peace and joy....and PULL her with you.  You can't PUSH someone towards Christ....you have to make them come of their own volition.  Therefore, make her want what you are getting.

Many years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

Thank you so much everyone!

I would like to go ahead and let you know there is a slight chance I will decide to wait another week or two.  I just want to clarify that incase it doesnt happen this Sunday.  I dont necessarily want you all to think I 'wimped out.'

Im simply afraid that if I do this without my wifes support, it will somehow turn her off to Orthodoxy.  We talked a little tonight, but she worked a very long day and agreed to discuss this in more detail with me tomorrow at dinner.  I let the priest know I wanted to discuss this more with her first.  Hopefully he will understand and be ok with it.

And I dont feel like I am asking her permission.  But I do have a hard time doing something that she doesnt support as it could turn her off to Orthodoxy even more.  If I need to wait a little longer for her to be more understanding of where I am coming from, then I feel that will be worth the wait.

I have done really well about not pushing anything on her, but when we talk about it I still get frustrated at how I feel like I am having to defend Orthodoxy.  We really dont owe anyone an explanation for anything, so it has been hard for me to be patient when explaining things.  Pray that I would continue to be patient, and also pray that I would be given the right words to say to be as peaceful and joyful, yet convincing, as possible.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »

Congratulations! Many Years---I look forward to the day you are chrismated.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »

Congratulations on your opportunity, my prayers for your wife and yourself. Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »

Im simply afraid that if I do this without my wifes support, it will somehow turn her off to Orthodoxy. 
...And I dont feel like I am asking her permission.  But I do have a hard time doing something that she doesnt support as it could turn her off to Orthodoxy even more.  If I need to wait a little longer for her to be more understanding of where I am coming from, then I feel that will be worth the wait.

I have done really well about not pushing anything on her, but when we talk about it I still get frustrated at how I feel like I am having to defend Orthodoxy.  We really dont owe anyone an explanation for anything, so it has been hard for me to be patient when explaining things.  Pray that I would continue to be patient, and also pray that I would be given the right words to say to be as peaceful and joyful, yet convincing, as possible.

OK, I'm breaking my female solidarity oath here and I will have to swear all you guys to secrecy on pain of death - but most women would be totally disarmed, charmed and moved if you just said the above to her.

St. John Chrysostom
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »

Im simply afraid that if I do this without my wifes support, it will somehow turn her off to Orthodoxy. 
...And I dont feel like I am asking her permission.  But I do have a hard time doing something that she doesnt support as it could turn her off to Orthodoxy even more.  If I need to wait a little longer for her to be more understanding of where I am coming from, then I feel that will be worth the wait.

OK, I'm breaking my female solidarity oath here and I will have to swear all you guys to secrecy on pain of death - but most women would be totally disarmed, charmed and moved if you just said the above to her.

Agreed.  The level of respect and consideration you give your wife is most humbling.  Many years!

Tasting is Believing
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:06 PM »

Well, it looks like everything is good to go for this Sunday as of now.

To be honest, im a little nervous for some reason.  Maybe its because I dont know many Orthodox people yet.  Maybe its because I may lose some of my work as a contract musician. (which I depend on....) Or maybe its because its such a big leap from where I grew up.  Maybe its because everything just got real, really fast...

Dont get me wrong, I am excited and i do feel that this is the right Church for me to be in.  Part of me is wondering if maybe the timing isnt best?  I am going to be working in Florida during the week this whole summer, but I will be back on weekends.  While ill be able to attend liturgy, it may be difficult to attend the catechumen classes right away....

Is it normal to be nervous about this?  Am I just trying once again to talk myself out of it?

On the other hand, whats the big deal?  I attend Church there anyways.  Whats the difference if Im officially a catechumen?

Someone just tell me to shut up! Smiley

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »

Be still...
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

Shut up! (she said kindly  Grin)

You're dithering a bit, but that's ok. I did too, and so did a lot of others. A priest I know once said to me, "You know, you really don't have to know the whole plan. Just do the next right thing. Figuring that out is hard enough."

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »

After talking to the priest more I feel more a peace with everything.

See you Sunday, Katherine!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
kelly

Jurisdiction: In the midst of worldliness, thy mournful heart dwelt in Heaven

Великая Княжня Ольга - Holy Royal Martyr

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »

Blessings to you and good luck!
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

Blessings to you and good luck!

Thank you!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »

See you Sunday, Katherine!

Looking forward to it!

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »

Welp.... its official.  Im a catechumen!!  I barely made it, as my car broke down the night before and I didnt know if I would be able to get it running in time.  I left voicemails and emails with the priest to let him know my situation and that I might not make it.  It worked out though!!

As a gift, they presented me with this lovely icon of St. Nicholas slapping the crap out of Arius for being a heretic.  Just as St. Nicholas was determined to defend the faith, so I was determined not to let my car troubles prevent me from taking this step. Smiley

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »

heres a better picture of the icon. ive never seen it before today.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »

Congratulations

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

Congratulations!  And what a beautiful icon!
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »

I sooooooo hope I make it this far.  I'm excited for you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

Welp.... its official.  Im a catechumen!!  I barely made it, as my car broke down the night before and I didnt know if I would be able to get it running in time.  I left voicemails and emails with the priest to let him know my situation and that I might not make it.  It worked out though!!

As a gift, they presented me with this lovely icon of St. Nicholas slapping the crap out of Arius for being a heretic.  Just as St. Nicholas was determined to defend the faith, so I was determined not to let my car troubles prevent me from taking this step. Smiley

Dude, you don't slap a car to get it to work. You're thinking of a color TV. But congrats on becoming a catechumen!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »

Many years, Timon!

Love,
elephant
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »

Dude, you don't slap a car to get it to work. You're thinking of a color TV. But congrats on becoming a catechumen!

Now I can't get the image of Basil Fawlty beating his car with a branch out of my head!

Congratulations Timon

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: