OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In defense of sofa scriptura  (Read 496 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 21, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »

Sofa scriptura is the doctrine that reading the Bible on one's sofa contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness. Consequently, sofa scriptura demands only those doctrines are to be admitted or confessed that are found directly within or indirectly by from scripture as read on one's sofa. However, sofa scriptura is not a denial of other authorities governing Christian life and devotion. Rather, it simply demands that all other authorities are subordinate to, and are to be corrected by, the written word of God as read on your own, personal sofa.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:27:00 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

I will go ahead and be the first to denounce sofa scriptura.  The sofa is the realm of the dog.  The bed is the best place for reading scripture as it is wobbly and the dog prefers a more firm surface.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

I denounce sofa scriptura, and its spiritual Lutheran father, brewa scriptura...the act of dogmatizing while imbibing large amounts of beer. Very common.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

I denounce sofa scriptura, and its spiritual Lutheran father, brewa scriptura...the act of dogmatizing while imbibing large amounts of beer. Very common.

PP

I thought that brewa scriptura was Tradition

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »

PP

brewa scriptura was just one belief held by Christians. Ehrman is currently writing a book on it explaining the diversity of belief in just that one area. But traditional Christians gathered at the Synod of Couch and clearly expressed sofa scriptura as outlined in the original post. This was, of course, merely a reaffirmation of the earlier Diet of Sofa (not to be confused with the heretical and disgusting Diet of Soda, from which beverages of the same name were created by a diabetes activist splinter group). Anyway, so some have argued that our creed should thus be called Sofa-Couch, rather than just Sofa, and that the doctrine is sofa-couch scriptura, rather than just sofa scriptura. The reasons this is not followed are largely semantic and apologetico-rhetoric in nature: sofa scriptura matches nicely against the heresy of soda scriptura, and also, it's just easier to say.

I do applaud, congratulate, send salutations to, and pat on the back Jetavan for broaching this most significant and important and worthy subject.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:50:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »

I approve of this thread.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »

PP

brewa scriptura was just one belief held by Christians. Ehrman is currently writing a book on it explaining the diversity of belief in just that one area. But traditional Christians gathered at the Synod of Couch and clearly expressed sofa scriptura as outlined in the original post. This was, of course, merely a reaffirmation of the earlier Diet of Sofa (not to be confused with the heretical and disgusting Diet of Soda, from which beverages of the same name were created by a diabetes activist splinter group). Anyway, so some have argued that our creed should thus be called Sofa-Couch, rather than just Sofa, and that the doctrine is sofa-couch scriptura, rather than just sofa scriptura. The reasons this is not followed are largely semantic and apologetico-rhetoric in nature: sofa scriptura matches nicely against the heresy of soda scriptura, and also, it's just easier to say.

I do applaud, congratulate, send salutations to, and pat on the back Jetavan for broaching this most significant and important and worthy subject.

Truly? I must learn more of the Orthoslax Christian way.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

I denounce sofa scripture.  The Lord has no use for armchair Christians or spiritual couch potatoes (especially in a non-fasting season).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:10:53 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

PP

But what elsecan Sofa Scripturists do when the game is on?

Let us also not forget, the disciples of the Theological School of the Audience of Hot Seat with Wally George where folks high five salud with their beer cans and neon sun glasses and cross-color tank tops Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:11:16 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »

I will go ahead and be the first to denounce sofa scriptura.  The sofa is the realm of the dog.  The bed is the best place for reading scripture as it is wobbly and the dog prefers a more firm surface.

I really have to denounce sack scriptura...

Sorry, vamrat.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »

Excellent points, all. The stain of heresy runs deep indeed!!!!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

Sorry, vamrat.

Rather than judge your brother, you should seek as to why Sack Scriptura does not work?  Is it because you do not maintain the intense levels of asceticism that I do which allows me to read the scripture in bed without the temptation to sleep?  Or perhaps I am being too harsh on you, so forgive me, my beloved sister in Christ.  Perhaps it is a matter that your bed is not as spongey as mine and your dog is capable of jumping on the bed and distracting you from the word of God?

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »

Sorry, vamrat.

Rather than judge your brother, you should seek as to why Sack Scriptura does not work?  Is it because you do not maintain the intense levels of asceticism that I do which allows me to read the scripture in bed without the temptation to sleep?  Or perhaps I am being too harsh on you, so forgive me, my beloved sister in Christ.  Perhaps it is a matter that your bed is not as spongey as mine and your dog is capable of jumping on the bed and distracting you from the word of God?
QFT baby.

PP

Gregory the Great
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »

Sorry, vamrat.

So, you're recommending I figure out what is distracting me in the sack?  Cheesy

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

The sofa is the realm of the dog cat. So is the bed.
Fixed it for ya.  laugh
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:38:06 PM by LBK » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: