OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 01:07:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Married priests (a different question)  (Read 955 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: May 20, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »

I know we've had a number of threads about married EC priests (or lack thereof Sad) in the canonical territory of the LC Church.

This thread is for considering the flip-side: What about LC priests living in the canonical territory of an EC Church? Are they celibate?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

I know we've had a number of threads about married EC priests (or lack thereof Sad) in the canonical territory of the LC Church.

This thread is for considering the flip-side: What about LC priests living in the canonical territory of an EC Church? Are they celibate?

Yes, somewhere here I've brought that up.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »

You mean, where?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

I could understand enforcing clercal celibacy to the Eastern Catholic clergy in the West if they allowed Married Latin clergy in the East. Both are understandable positions but I don't think they can coexist.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »

You mean, where?

E.g. Ukraine. Many other places, but I won't try to give a comprehensive list.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

there is no such thing an EC canonical territory, whatsoever.
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »

Actually, incorrect. See Ethiopian Catholic Church and the canonical territorial status thereof...
LakaYaRabb

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »

In 1995, two new eparchies, Barentu and Keren, were established in Eritrea,[3] and the Latin Rite apostolic vicariate was abolished. Eritrea thus became the only country where all Catholics, whatever their personal liturgical rite, belong to an Eastern Catholic jurisdiction.

See wikipedia for details
LakaYaRabb

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »

Mandatory celibacy is the discipline for Roman Catholicism everywhere, with limited and very restricted norms established for exceptions. Geography or geographical jurisdiction play no part in the application of this discipline.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »

Actually, not only there is such a thing, but the basis for not allowing married EC priests in places like the US is that they are "outside their canonical territory".

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »

Actually, not only there is such a thing, but the basis for not allowing married EC priests in places like the US is that they are "outside their canonical territory".
"acceptable field of operations" is more like it.

I'd have to look, but I don't recall canonical territory being defined in the Codex Canonum Ecclesiarum Orientalium.  The Italo-Albanians are in their own "canonical territory."  How's their stand on married clergy?  Like the Romanians in Italy?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »

In 1995, two new eparchies, Barentu and Keren, were established in Eritrea,[3] and the Latin Rite apostolic vicariate was abolished. Eritrea thus became the only country where all Catholics, whatever their personal liturgical rite, belong to an Eastern Catholic jurisdiction.

See wikipedia for details

I've read somewhere that the whole Ethipiian Catholic Church adopted mandatory celibacy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »

Actually, not only there is such a thing, but the basis for not allowing married EC priests in places like the US is that they are "outside their canonical territory

and

Actually, incorrect. See Ethiopian Catholic Church and the canonical territorial status thereof

The canonical territory of these churches is pretty easy to define:

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

I'd have to look, but I don't recall canonical territory being defined in the Codex Canonum Ecclesiarum Orientalium.  The Italo-Albanians are in their own "canonical territory."  How's their stand on married clergy?  Like the Romanians in Italy?

Canons 146-150.  The Italo-Albanians have always had a married priesthhood which makes the Italian position on the Romanians even more ridiculous.  The Italo-Albanian Eparchies are also territorial in that the have charge of the Latin parishes within their district as well as their own. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »

I've read somewhere that the whole Ethipiian Catholic Church adopted mandatory celibacy.

No the Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankars adopted mandatory celibacy for the priesthood.  The Copts, Ethiopians, and Syriacs, adopted prefered celibacy in that celibacy is considered the norm but the patriarch/metropolitan may grant dispensations.

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »

The Copts, Ethiopians, and Syriacs, adopted prefered celibacy in that celibacy is considered the norm but the patriarch/metropolitan may grant dispensations.

Like in the  Roman Rite?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »

The Copts, Ethiopians, and Syriacs, adopted prefered celibacy in that celibacy is considered the norm but the patriarch/metropolitan may grant dispensations.

Like in the  Roman Rite?

In a way, although if there's one thing I've heard about a million times it's that having married priests "isn't the tradition" in the Latin Church.

JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

Although limited in numbers, the RCC have accepted ordained ministers with families to the priesthood and have in some cases assigned parishes to such families.  Most have been assigned administrative roles in the RCC however.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:22:37 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »

Like in the  Roman Rite?

No, because in the Latin Church dispensations are considered an extraordinary exception, must be given by the Pope and are only given to converting Protestant clergy.  Among the Copts, Syriacs, and Ethiopians the dispensation is granted by the patriarch/metropolitan for men of teir own Church and they are common.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

Like in the  Roman Rite?

No, because in the Latin Church dispensations are considered an extraordinary exception, must be given by the Pope and are only given to converting Protestant clergy. 

But I suspect Michał's point was that the Pope is the Latin Church's patriarch.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

I thought he meant they must ask the dispensation of Rome rather than their own patriarch.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »

Although limited in numbers, the RCC have accepted ordained ministers with families to the priesthood and have in some cases assigned parishes to such families.
That is only outside of "the canonical territory of an EC Church," e.g. the US or Britain.  Not in Eastern Europe nor the Middle East.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: