OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:29:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Discusion about Father Arseny  (Read 826 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »

Internet Discusion about Father Arseny

http://www.myocn.net/index.php/Just-Thinking/

If you haven't read the book, Father Arseny 1893-1973 (St. Vladimir's Press), I highly recommend your obtaining a copy and reading it.  I bought it when it first was published, and that night I intended to read a chapter before my going to sleep.  Well, I could not put it down -- until I had finished the entire book in one reading.  I have since given copies to others who also have found that they were so engrossed that they could not stop reading until the last word or the last chapter.  More than one person has told me that he or she found his or her reading of this book to be a life-changing experience.  Memory Eternal to beloved Father Arseny.

Quoted from the website: "Join Rod Dreher and Fr. Chris as they explore the life of Fr. Arseny a priest who survived life in a Soviet Labor Camp. They discuss the injustices to him, the mocking, the beatings and yet the incredible response of love from a simple man, a man of God. Rod and Father Chris also talk about the teaching of the Orthodox Christian Church that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. A must listen for everyone this week. "

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »

What a fantastic read.  We covered the book in a Pastoral Care class, and glad we did.  It was also mentioned/used in an Ethics class (iirc).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »

Thanks!  I read Father Arsney several years ago and loved it. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »

So should I just get both books or just the first one? My priest recommended it, and been doing some googling and many Orthodox love him.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »

So should I just get both books or just the first one? My priest recommended it, and been doing some googling and many Orthodox love him.

I've started reading the first book. It is definitely one I would recommend. I don't have the second book, but have been recommended to read it after I finish the first one. I think I might have heard or read somewhere that the two are actually one book that was broken into two for publishing as it was being translated.

I intended to read a chapter before my going to sleep.  Well, I could not put it down -- until I had finished the entire book in one reading.

My experience is the complete opposite. I can only read one or two of the short chapters at a time and then have to put the book down and give myself time to think about what I just read.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags: Fr. Arseny 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: