OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:28:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Conversion Story  (Read 550 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »

The young man you see in this picture, Matthew Rodriguez, is now a Monk of the Coptic Orthodox Christian church, which is one of the strictest and most ascetic Christian churches around. But, he wasn't exactly born with that outfit and a bible in his hand...and therein lies the amazing testimony of God's work in his life.

I met Matt recently in the St. Mary and St. Moses Abbey, where he now lives. I had a chance to hear from him first hand just what led to such a radical transformation in his life. He grew up a nominal Christian and seemed to have it all. The slim young man of Irish and Puerto Rican descent was on his way to a promising career as a pharmacist, was in tip top shape and was popular as could be. Usually this is the set up for the dramatic moment, right? "He gets hit by a car" or "got hooked on heroin"...but the awesome thing in Matt's story is it's simplicity. While living a life disconnected from God and focused on partying and self, something internal happened that caused him to leave all that he had, and follow Jesus. When pressed to describe it he said "I realized that my life was literally leading me to death and I didn't want that anymore." He began to be aware of his eternity and Jesus became more than just a name to Matt...He became real.

Read the rest here:

http://mirhom.blogspot.com/2012/05/from-club-to-monastery.html?m=1

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »

I actually had met this monk, though only briefly, when I had visited said monastery two years ago. At the time he was still a brother. One could feel the peace of Christ emanating from him simply by being in the same room with him. May his blessings be with us all. Thank you, Salpy, for posting this here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:54:58 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Tags: conversion stories 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: