OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 02:39:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro - RC considering conversion  (Read 5399 times) Average Rating: 0
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« on: May 18, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »

Hello! I am finally coming out of perpetual lurkdom to introduce myself. I've been enjoying reading this forum for a while and have learned a lot because of you all.

My name is Kelly and I was raised a nominal Lutheran. We went to church sporadically but I wouldn't consider my family to be religious in a sense. From about the age of 11 and onwards, I became increasingly interested in the Catholic church. I think it started because I was so into stories about saints. When I was 20, I entered RCIA and became Catholic officially at the March vigil in 2008.

Now, at 25, the more the read the more I wonder if I made a mistake. I feel like my personal spirituality is more attuned to Orthodoxy. I'm going through a really hard time with discerning what in the world I'm supposed to do. I feel like God is pulling me towards Orthodoxy but I just don't know.

I have the support of my family and my closest Catholic friend so that is good. I would love to make some Orthodox friends here.

Any prayers would definitely be appreciated.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »

I was waiting for someone less scary to say hello, but I'll go ahead and say welcome. angel

(btw, I was Lutheran and went to one of the Vatican's schools.  RICA couldn't have been that big a mistake, because you are here).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:56:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »

Hello! I am finally coming out of perpetual lurkdom to introduce myself. I've been enjoying reading this forum for a while and have learned a lot because of you all.

My name is Kelly and I was raised a nominal Lutheran. We went to church sporadically but I wouldn't consider my family to be religious in a sense. From about the age of 11 and onwards, I became increasingly interested in the Catholic church. I think it started because I was so into stories about saints. When I was 20, I entered RCIA and became Catholic officially at the March vigil in 2008.

Now, at 25, the more the read the more I wonder if I made a mistake.

Hi Kelly. I can't tell you that it was a mistake to join Catholicism; but I would just like to say that, after participating in a lot of discussions, I've come to the conclusion that converts from protestantism should investigate both Catholicism and Orthodoxy before choosing one of them. (Unfortunately, that rarely happens.)

Welcome to the forum!

A known Roman Catholic has no business making such a suggestion on the Orthodox Convert Issues board. Please refrain from doing so in the future.  Thank you, Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:31:20 PM by Thomas » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
kelly
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:43:51 PM »

I honestly can't remember really looking into Orthodoxy. I was certainly aware of it (I was/am a big Romanov nerd) but I had been convinced that Catholicism was THE Church.

I know it's silly to feel this way but I'm almost embarrassed - I went through all that to become Catholic and now I will probably end up going through it again.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:47:24 PM by kelly » Logged

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »

I honestly can't remember really looking into Orthodoxy. I was certainly aware of it (I was/am a big Romanov nerd) but I had been convinced that Catholicism was THE Church.

Since you identified yourself as being from the Archdiocese of Baltimore, if you like Russian Orthodoxy, there's Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church near Johns Hopkins.

I know it's silly to feel this way but I'm almost embarrassed - I went through all that to become Catholic and now I will probably end up going through it again.  Embarrassed

The Orthodox Cathechism usually takes a year; however, because you're Catholic, there are some similarities which could shorten the Cathechism period.
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

SolEX01,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of that church - beautiful, isn't it? I love, love, love Russian Orthodoxy. Ideally, that's definitely the one I would like to go to but the closest EO church is a Ukrainian parish. It's a small mission church.

This whole thing is an emotional roller coaster. The other day, when I finally worked up the nerve to tell my mom, "Um... I think God is calling me to be Orthodox," I cried tears of joy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:59:29 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »

SolEX01,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of that church - beautiful, isn't it?

I like Holy Trinity although I've attended the Russian Festival.   Smiley

I love, love, love Russian Orthodoxy. Ideally, that's definitely the one I would like to go to but the closest EO church is a Ukranian parish called Four Evangelists. It's a small mission church.

I've heard of the Church - do they still hold services at a middle school?

This whole thing is an emotional roller coaster. The other day, when I finally worked up the nerve to tell my mom, "Um... I think God is calling me to be Orthodox," I cried tears of joy.

Take it one day at a time.   Smiley
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

SolEX01,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of that church - beautiful, isn't it?

I like Holy Trinity although I've attended the Russian Festival.   Smiley

I love, love, love Russian Orthodoxy. Ideally, that's definitely the one I would like to go to but the closest EO church is a Ukranian parish called Four Evangelists. It's a small mission church.

I've heard of the Church - do they still hold services at a middle school?

Take it one day at a time.   Smiley

They were originally at a Catholic high school but they have their own building now. It's not actually in a church though, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:45:35 PM by kelly » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

They were originally at a Catholic high school but they have their own building now. It's not actually in a church though, unfortunately.

Does that impact your examination of the Orthodox faith?
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »

Nope, not at all.

Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:25:08 AM »

Hello&welcome Kelly!

I too am a RC inquiring into the Orthodox faith.  I'm sure if I had known about Orthodoxy prior to RCIA, I would have chosen Orthodoxy.  But I must say, Roman Catholicism was not a waste of time.  Should I leave the RCC, I will not leave empty handed.  In every religious and/or spiritual path that I have walked, it has all been to come closer to Him.  If I am not sure of nothing else, of this I am sure.

However, I can relate to your inner feelings...I think. I first discovered the OC on Passion Friday, I stumbled across Coniaris Introducing the Orthodox Church.  I devoured it, out of order.  I was left very much conflicted, I was overjoyed and I was a bit upset.  Joyful for finally, my inner thoughts&beliefs were expressed within a Christian faith.  Upset well because, really must I again go through an official 'convert' ceremony?!  In spite of this inner unrest, I decided to peruse this new curiosity of the OC.

I attend DL as much as possible, and I just had the pleasure of Vespers this pass Wednesday for the first time.  I also follow a very simple Orthodox prayer rule.  Like you, the Orthodox spirituality draws me near.  Will I convert, I don't know.  I am open to conversion, and yet I have not requested to join the catechumenate.  Interestingly enough, whenever I think of going to church it's always Orthodox service.  I have attended Mass only once since Easter.  It's all very beyond my comprehension, and yet I fell secure.

All this to say Kelly, don't put the cart before the horse.  Slow&steady, be gentle with yourself.  Some are born Orthodox, others come home after a long trip.  One is not better than the other, all things accordingly.  And the RCC, IMHO, is a great stepping stool.  Should one be so moved to continue on... I think being a practicing RC is not time wasted in the least, quite the opposite.

In the risen Christ!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

Should I leave the RCC, I will not leave empty handed. 

Margarita!

Grin Kidding.  Wink

greek_yogurt

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »

Hello Kelly! I am getting ready to  be made a catechumen. I was raised Roman Catholic. I have to say that the most helpful thing that a person can do is pray. When I first started looking into Orthodoxy, I read and studied and studied and read. I confused myself quite a bit because I was determined to figure out whether Catholicism or Orthodoxy had the fullness of truth. In the end, prayer is really what brought me to where I am. I am not discouraging study, just take everything one day at a time and ease into this. Good Luck!
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »

Hello, all. This is my first attempt as i only have been member for some days.

Up till this date, i have been a roman catholic (not roaming) for 1 1/2 years now. But for the last almost seven months i knew something was not right and during the last months (three-four) i have begun to experience that the doubts and spiritual dryness i had experienced was because my current path did not feel like the right one. Questions about the papacy, if Peter`s chair in Rome was the correct one and that the RCC was the unbroken one, came up to mind all the time.

First i tried to deny it all, cried a lot, prayed and asked God why he kept showing me all these signs of west and orthodoxy thoughts and images in my mind. So i forced myself to begin reading, take part in discussions, ask some orthodox people for their opinions while i read
and inquired.

From day to day, it becomes more and more obvious to me that the deep traditions is in the orthodoxy and the eastern part of the church. I have begun reading history, getting a vague idea of the saints like St. Basil The Great and John Crysostomos. When my best friend told me: Look, Tommy - you have had an orthodox attitude for a long time, is not on time for you to figure this out?

So three weeks ago, i did and went to this russian orthodox parish downtown as they have open church on wednesdays from 2pm to 6pm.
I met this very nice lady there and asked what steps you have to take if you wish to become orthodox or learn the orthodox faith to do.

So i have got some books, a prayer corner i have had for almost two years (but it has become a bit more eastern now) and i have made a daily prayer rule which really makes wonders (before i did pray just eve prayers and rosary before or after mass). Well, two weeks ago i attended my first vigil and was struck by it`s beauty and simpleness at the same time. I went back last week and attended my first divine liturgy last sunday. Not all of it was easy to understand as it is in church slavonic, but i understand the beauty of it. The atmosphere, the holyness, the traditions and the sense of beauty vs simplicity and a very strong feeling of God`s presence made me feel calm and happy.

In a totally new and unknown landscape with a language i do not know. In tiny Norway. Some would call me crazy of my friends and i guess they also do. But this feels much better than any roman catholic mass i ever have attended before. I have yet to meet the priest, but do understand that i wish to learn the orthodox faith to know. Reading, praying, learning and attending services is what i have been adviced to do and being patient.

Any other good advices you can give to newbee as i am?

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Margarita
One

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »

Greek Yogurt- YES!  Prayer along with study, but prayer is essential!  I must sing with you, pray is the action that has been the steady boat upon this wave.  Many blessings&years as you embark upon the path of catechumen!

Tommelomsky- Welcome!  The first time I attended DL, I was so lost that I closed the book.  I allowed myself to just be.  To be present with the parishioners, the Fathers, the sacrament, the space, and the words.  I took in all the sights, smells, and joined in to recite prayers that I knew from heart.  The next Sunday I was lost but a few times for a few seconds, and quickly found my place.  I agree with you, there is something in the simplism(although the entire service is far from being simplistic)&the consistency that allows for depth of experience.  Your friend's words were my inner thoughts after reading, Introducing the Orthodox Church.  And it was with that thought, that I went to see.  As I am in the same boat with you, my advice is little to give&what I have found useful.  Keep your attendance as regular as possible.  May be start learning short prayers in Slavonic?  And/or may be learning the format of DL and the words in your mother tongue, so that you know what is being said?  May be visit another church that speaks Norwegian?  And as Greek Yogurt as said, prayer and prayer.  There is a great simple rule of prayer posted as a sticky in this sub-forum, Getting Started with a Daily Prayer Rule.  I started with that one, but have since moved on.

Peter J- Haha funny  laugh I get it all the time!  My freshman science class had a Daiquiri, Brandy, and me.  The teacher always made jokes as she read role Smiley  If it wasn't a traditional family name&so beautifully heard in it's Spanish accent, I would question my mom Wink
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »

Thank you so much. It is probably a normal thing to feel a little lost the first time. Knowing that i have been attending many catholic masses over the  last two+ years gives me a smaller idea about the order of the liturgy. But like you said, i just put the paper i had printed out away and was in "one" with the other parishoners instead and will take the next step in some hours. I have however a book about the divine liturgy in my native tongue that is one of the things i will use early in my studies.

The sights, smells and being in a church that makes me feel so home, it makes me smile and my soul must be singing so much these days. Smiley I have been attending the vigil that the parish has on saturdays three times now and some people have already begun to say hi and smile. It is so nice and i like it there.

Language barriers does not bother me as i am eager to learn. Not just the order of vigil, the dl or parish life, but also the language. But in the tempo it needs.

What pleasantly comes to mind is that the orthodox culture is very rich and not simplistic but beauty, but in it`s own way there are some simplicity in it`s being too. Hard to explain excactly how. The depth, tradition and culture makes me already now understand how unique this is and how greatful I am for God to bring me here, on this path.

Attending services i will and can`t hardly wait for divine liturgy in hours. I feel much like the kid saying: mum, can i have some more candy please? Short slavonic prayers would be nice to learn, but i wonder how to be able to read them as it is probably in writing like cyrillic. Or? I will learn the divine liturgy in my native tongue too and once a month we have divine liturgy in my native tongue.

Found a prayer rule from a website called prayerlife and use a prayerbook for daily morning and eve prayers. Just three week in my inquirery-process i see how much a steady prayer-rule gives me and just looking forward to read, learn and hopefully (if God wills it) grow in my spirituality.

Blessings from Oslo, Norway.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

Hello&welcome Kelly!

I too am a RC inquiring into the Orthodox faith.  I'm sure if I had known about Orthodoxy prior to RCIA, I would have chosen Orthodoxy.  But I must say, Roman Catholicism was not a waste of time.  Should I leave the RCC, I will not leave empty handed.  In every religious and/or spiritual path that I have walked, it has all been to come closer to Him.  If I am not sure of nothing else, of this I am sure.

However, I can relate to your inner feelings...I think. I first discovered the OC on Passion Friday, I stumbled across Coniaris Introducing the Orthodox Church.  I devoured it, out of order.  I was left very much conflicted, I was overjoyed and I was a bit upset.  Joyful for finally, my inner thoughts&beliefs were expressed within a Christian faith.  Upset well because, really must I again go through an official 'convert' ceremony?!  In spite of this inner unrest, I decided to peruse this new curiosity of the OC.

I attend DL as much as possible, and I just had the pleasure of Vespers this pass Wednesday for the first time.  I also follow a very simple Orthodox prayer rule.  Like you, the Orthodox spirituality draws me near.  Will I convert, I don't know.  I am open to conversion, and yet I have not requested to join the catechumenate.  Interestingly enough, whenever I think of going to church it's always Orthodox service.  I have attended Mass only once since Easter.  It's all very beyond my comprehension, and yet I fell secure.

All this to say Kelly, don't put the cart before the horse.  Slow&steady, be gentle with yourself.  Some are born Orthodox, others come home after a long trip.  One is not better than the other, all things accordingly.  And the RCC, IMHO, is a great stepping stool.  Should one be so moved to continue on... I think being a practicing RC is not time wasted in the least, quite the opposite.

In the risen Christ!

Thank you so much for this insightful post.

I'm really humbled by how welcoming and compassionate you guys have been. I will keep you all updated on my journey.  Smiley

Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »

Hello Kelly and welcome from another greenie or newbie. I am sure that this forum could be such an inspiring place for a new and interesting journey.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »

Just ordered a bunch of Orthodox books off of Amazon! Now I can highlight as I please (I don't think the library would've appreciate me defacing their books).

Tommelomsky, good luck to you on your journey.

Margarita
One

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »

I begin that task next month, purchasing books!  I have managed to find all the highly recommended 101 books at my public library.  I will have read them all by the end of this month.  I have an appointment with the priest to discuss what's next on the reading list. Interestingly enough, all the 101 books were donated to the library from the church I attend.  I didn't realize this at first, until I flipped through the first cover pgs. and spotted their name tag!

What made the list to buy?  I hate shopping, but buying books and certain other items, I absolutely love!
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »

I for one got recommened a list by a lady that runs the norwegian association in the ROCOR parish i am attending and asked someone in another forum for help. Today i have also told the priest at my current RC by e-mail that i find it hard to work there while wanting to spend
time on reading, learning and attending services in the russian orthodox parish i do now.

Please say a prayer for me, as i start a brand new path.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

Dear Tommelomsky ,

Lord Have mercy.  Lord Have Mercy. Lord Have Mercy.

St. Tryphon, Enlightener of the Lapps, pray for us.

Love, elephant
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

I begin that task next month, purchasing books!  I have managed to find all the highly recommended 101 books at my public library.  I will have read them all by the end of this month.  I have an appointment with the priest to discuss what's next on the reading list. Interestingly enough, all the 101 books were donated to the library from the church I attend.  I didn't realize this at first, until I flipped through the first cover pgs. and spotted their name tag!

What made the list to buy?  I hate shopping, but buying books and certain other items, I absolutely love!

Hi Margarita,

I bought The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (tr. Benedicta Ward), The Orthodox Church by Ware (I've already read this from the library, now I'll have my own copy to highlight as I please Smiley), and Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith by Gilquist! The only Orthodox books I have as of right now are a book of akathists from Jordanville and the Orthodox Study Bible.

Margarita
One

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »

Great choices!  They are on my list, too.  My first purchase will have to be Orthodox Spirituality by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos  Wink  The only Orthodox booklet I have is the, Morning&Evening prayers section from the Old Othrodox Prayer Book (Old Rite Russian).  I intend to purchase the entire book, but I must pace myself so...  A number of the books I want to read are available online, so my first purchase is going to be a small one. 

I haven't decided on which Bible to buy just yet.  So many options!  I want to hold out for the Orthodox full translation of both OT&NT with the LXX, whenever it should come  Wink  I joke, another question to discuss with my priest.  For now I'm using online sources&The New American Bible.

Happy Happy reading!
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »

Kelly,
I just recently converted from RCC myself. It was an extremely difficult discernment process for me and even more difficult to tell my RCC friends, but I am so grateful God gave me the grace to follow His will.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »

Little update on my end: at my RCC parish, they care so much for me and are dependent on my volounteer work that they want me around, even if they realize that i have lost the feelings i used to have for the RC and that it is a bit more on "professional level" now.

At my end, i expect this to be a long road and probably a challenging one too. But so far: i can say this, going to vigils and divine liturgy is just fantastic. I am bits by bits getting the hang of it and it is like the child on christmas eve: mom, can i have another gift? Carrying the cross was never easy. So did and do the Lord say to us. And i don`t want it to be easy either: as it is a commitment for life once you take it.

This does feel right and in the russian-orthodox parish, people begin to say hi (after just three weeks). That is so nice. Some would say it is unwise of me, but i am in a discovery phase and do not yet need to take a decision. In time, sure, if God wills it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:57:57 AM by Tommelomsky » Logged

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »

I haven't decided on which Bible to buy just yet.  So many options!  I want to hold out for the Orthodox full translation of both OT&NT with the LXX, whenever it should come  Wink  I joke, another question to discuss with my priest.  For now I'm using online sources&The New American Bible.

Happy Happy reading!

Honestly, I much prefer my Catholic Bibles over the Orthodox Study Bible. I wasn't that impressed with the translation.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:11:24 AM by kelly » Logged

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »

I wholeheartedly empathize.  I sacrificed a lot to become Catholic because I was once convinced that it was THE Church, accepting some apologist's claim that Orthodoxy was in schism from the RCC.  This, combined with the paucity of Orthodoxy in my state and the fact that at least Catholicism wasn't Protestantism, more or less directed my decision.  And now I get to revisit practically the same catechesis again.  Not that that's a terrible thing because we Christians can always stand to learn more about our faith, but it seems a bit like a blow below the belt when the Orthodox priest appeals to me for clarification on certain topics.  I have been told here by members of OC.net I could stand to learn obedience and humility, and I don't doubt that at all, but it's going to be an expensive lesson considering the distance of my parish and the frequency of classes.  Really, given there's no logical reason for me have to go through the catechumenate, the catechumenate will be nothing more than an endurance test for me.

Tasting is Believing
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

Hi Kelly. I can't tell you that it was a mistake to join Catholicism; but I would just like to say that, after participating in a lot of discussions, I've come to the conclusion that converts from protestantism should investigate both Catholicism and Orthodoxy before choosing one of them. (Unfortunately, that rarely happens.)

Welcome to the forum!

A known Roman Catholic has no business making such a suggestion on the Orthodox Convert Issues board. Please refrain from doing so in the future.  Thank you, Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

Alright, that's fair enough.

A question about your first sentence: Do you mean Roman as in Western?

ConfusedRC

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Hanoi

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »

Glad to see other RCC'ers in the same position I'm in.

On an interesting side note: today I was reading Introducing the Orthodox Church by Fr. Coniaris while I was waiting to donate blood, and a gentleman started asking me questions about the book I was reading. I learned that he was a recent convert to the Orthodox Church from Presbyterianism. Just thought it was cool to meet someone in that manner.
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

Glad to see other RCC'ers in the same position I'm in.

On an interesting side note: today I was reading Introducing the Orthodox Church by Fr. Coniaris while I was waiting to donate blood, and a gentleman started asking me questions about the book I was reading. I learned that he was a recent convert to the Orthodox Church from Presbyterianism. Just thought it was cool to meet someone in that manner.

I just picked up that book yesterday after liturgy.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I haven't decided on which Bible to buy just yet.  So many options!  I want to hold out for the Orthodox full translation of both OT&NT with the LXX, whenever it should come  Wink  I joke, another question to discuss with my priest.  For now I'm using online sources&The New American Bible.

Happy Happy reading!

Honestly, I much prefer my Catholic Bibles over the Orthodox Study Bible. I wasn't that impressed with the translation.

Most have problems with the notes rather than the translation. I dont mind the NKJV at all , but the LXX translation could use some work... Psalms are its own entity. The RSV is probably the best modern translation, particularly the Catholic version, the first one. I prefer the KJV to the D-R, particularly in the psalter. But I hear a Catholic did the psalms either way....
KShaft

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Actually I would recommend the same thing.  Both claim to be the one true Church, both have apostolic succession, and the same seven Sacraments. Test the spirits. I wouldnt fear for Orthodoxy.
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 01:00:03 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Actually I would recommend the same thing.  Both claim to be the one true Church, both have apostolic succession, and the same seven Sacraments. Test the spirits. I wouldnt fear for Orthodoxy.

I would hope there isn't a hostile rift between the two at this point and that the Catholic church someday makes the move to rejoin the first church--Orthodoxy.  I don't put much stock at all into claims--they can claim apostolic succession but it doesn't mean they have it.  A split is a split, and Orthodoxy is the only church never to have split from any other organization because they were the first.  As to the first--claiming to be the one true Church, I have yet to hear of any religious organization on earth, Jewish and Muslim included, as well all the tens of thousands of Christian offshoots, that didn't make that very same claim.    I was raised Catholic.  I like that they didn't break off while making the same drastic changes and radical skewings of scripture and doctrine that the others did, but again, a split is a split, and even today, catholicism is the closest you can come to Orthodoxy without being Orthodox.  A miss is a miss, granted, but you can miss small and you can miss big.  If not coming from the Catholic church, I can't promise it ever would have occurred to me to convert to Orthodoxy. 

Matthew 16:18--I get from that that the one true church would be immune or protected from evil.  How is it that now the Catholic church is so infected with scandal borne of deviance?  I can think of only one church not touched by corruption, deviance, or any other scandal--Orthodoxy.  Call me naive or ill-informed, but I see that as divine endorsement.
KShaft

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

A known Roman Catholic has no business making such a suggestion on the Orthodox Convert Issues board. Please refrain from doing so in the future.  Thank you, Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

Actually I would recommend the same thing.  Both claim to be the one true Church, both have apostolic succession, and the same seven Sacraments. Test the spirits. I wouldnt fear for Orthodoxy.

I would hope there isn't a hostile rift between the two at this point and that the Catholic church someday makes the move to rejoin the first church--Orthodoxy.  I don't put much stock at all into claims--they can claim apostolic succession but it doesn't mean they have it.  A split is a split, and Orthodoxy is the only church never to have split from any other organization because they were the first.  As to the first--claiming to be the one true Church, I have yet to hear of any religious organization on earth, Jewish and Muslim included, as well all the tens of thousands of Christian offshoots, that didn't make that very same claim.    I was raised Catholic.  I like that they didn't break off while making the same drastic changes and radical skewings of scripture and doctrine that the others did, but again, a split is a split, and even today, catholicism is the closest you can come to Orthodoxy without being Orthodox.  A miss is a miss, granted, but you can miss small and you can miss big.  If not coming from the Catholic church, I can't promise it ever would have occurred to me to convert to Orthodoxy.  

Matthew 16:18--I get from that that the one true church would be immune or protected from evil.  How is it that now the Catholic church is so infected with scandal borne of deviance?  I can think of only one church not touched by corruption, deviance, or any other scandal--Orthodoxy.  Call me naive or ill-informed, but I see that as divine endorsement.

2/3rds of the Eastern churches were Arian at one time. Old believers boarded themselves up and immolated themselves because of the Nikonian reforms, which were a Liturgical reform which was incorrect in its premise. Sergiism is alive and well in the MP. There is corruption and deviance in the Orthodox Church at times. It just cleans up very well... That I say would be a Divine endorsement. How it comes back stronger and just as Orthodox as ever. Not that it never has corruption or scandal. Thats just NOT AT ALL true. It has sinful men and women in its halls, therefore sin and errors will come. Its just the OCC just bounces back like no other. Amen
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:17:33 AM by KShaft » Logged
gonefishing
Banned

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »

2/3rds of the Eastern churches were Arian at one time. Old believers boarded themselves up and immolated themselves because of the Nikonian reforms, which were a Liturgical reform which was incorrect in its premise. Sergiism is alive and well in the MP. There is corruption and deviance in the Orthodox Church at times. It just cleans up very well... That I say would be a Divine endorsement. How it comes back stronger and just as Orthodox as ever. Not that it never has corruption or scandal. Thats just NOT AT ALL true. It has sinful men and women in its halls, therefore sin and errors will come. Its just the OCC just bounces back like no other. Amen

I'd never label isolated incidents as scandal.  I know of no organization with two or more people that is immune to that.  I'm talking about something widespread.  And to be covered up at such a high level?  The Catholic church is full of good people like all other faiths whose followers have come to them in earnest--but they're scandalizing at an incredible rate and degree, like a cancer that has spread to every part of the body.  The offshoots make the news--Waco, Westboro, Jim Jones, that family shut up in their cabin for days, compounds, on and on and on.  I can't even think of the first, last, or ever time I saw the Orthodox church in the news trying to explain away questionable or deviant conduct.   Yeah, sin goes where people go, but I also think it goes first and foremost in those directions more tolerant of weakness and self-indulgence.  The path of least resistance, so to speak.  The Orthodox church seems to have expectations.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:42:16 AM by gonefishing » Logged
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:06 AM »

First off, I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm a convert to the Catholic Church. Oddly enough, I joined the same year you did. I too am investigating the Orthodox Church but for me it is a revisit. Things didn't work out but I'm hoping they do now.

Now for what I wanted to write. There is no reason to be embarrassed. Your experience in joining the Catholic Church, as well as all of your previous experiences, have led you to where you are now. You seem like a true seeker, someone determined to find truth and live it. This is a fantastic mindset. I think you will find that all your previous experiences will be beneficial. As you learn the teachings of Orthodoxy, you'll have a basis for comparison to learn from and build on. This is an exciting time for you. Please don't regret anything which has led you to this place today.
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »

I am sure that there are quite some of us that is in this i would call it "discovery and investigating phase". All i can say so far is that i feel a great joy and slowly spiritual healing again after months in standstill like situation (forgive my sometimes poor english). The orthodox faith has a rich tradition and such a depth in everything. Which hits me with a smile. (That i can tell, even this early in my phase).

At the same thing, i think it is important to show gratitude to God for leading one to this path. It has to be for a reason, probably far far over my level to understand. But I trust in God and all things happens for a reason.

I try to read, learn, observe, pray, smile and being thankful. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:31:33 AM by Tommelomsky » Logged

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »

I went to Divine Liturgy this morning.Everyone was very helpful and welcoming. It was a very peaceful experience. Now the priest and I are trying to figure out when to meet for the inquirers classes. I am the ONLY inquirer at the moment, by the way.  laugh

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »

I went to Divine Liturgy this morning.Everyone was very helpful and welcoming. It was a very peaceful experience. Now the priest and I are trying to figure out when to meet for the inquirers classes. I am the ONLY inquirer at the moment, by the way.  laugh

DL is always peaceful for me too.  Then I leave and realize that if I were to die unexpectedly between now and chrismation, I'd still get lumped as a RC and would receive RC funerary rites.  Such is the tolls of choosing a visible church.

Tasting is Believing
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »

DL is always peaceful for me too.  Then I leave and realize that if I were to die unexpectedly between now and chrismation, I'd still get lumped as a RC and would receive RC funerary rites.  Such is the tolls of choosing a visible church.

Everything I've read has said that as soon as you're a catechumen, you receive an Orthodox funeral and burial.

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

Indeed.  I gratefully stand corrected.

Everything I've read has said that as soon as you're a catechumen, you receive an Orthodox funeral and burial.

Tasting is Believing
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

I went to Divine Liturgy this morning.Everyone was very helpful and welcoming. It was a very peaceful experience. Now the priest and I are trying to figure out when to meet for the inquirers classes. I am the ONLY inquirer at the moment, by the way.  laugh

DL is always peaceful for me too.  Then I leave and realize that if I were to die unexpectedly between now and chrismation, I'd still get lumped as a RC and would receive RC funerary rites.  Such is the tolls of choosing a visible church.

I am glad you went.  My first Liturgy was total confusion, but peaceful as you said, which was really strange for me then.  I studied Roman Catholicism, but there were some things I just could not reconcile.  I did not find those things in the Orthodox Church.  As stated before (and the advice given to me from my priest), make sure you want to be Orthodox.  It isn’t easy.

Quotes editted - MK.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:26:40 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »

I hope you didn't mean that they kill you?  Wink Cheesy (I'm kidding!)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: