OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 05:53:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jurisdictions and converts  (Read 250 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »

Are certain jurisdictions better suited for certain-types of converts?
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

Are certain jurisdictions better suited for certain-types of converts?

I can only speak from my own experience and I've only ever been to Greek, Romanian and Antiochian parishes. I'll say right off that I prefer Romanian, but I found the faith via Romania, speak Romanian pretty fluently and am married to a Romanian, so I'm hardly a neutral observer. The Antiochians were fine although a little strange as they were nearly all converts in the parish I attended which has not been the case elsewhere - this is probably down to the parish, but personally I felt they lacked some of the grounding I've found elsewhere (as many converts seem to, and TBH, I myself  went a little overboard early on and it was the devout cradle Orthodox around me who brought me back to a more reasonable line). The Greek parish I attended was exactly the reverse. Only one convert other than myself and even the non-Greek cradle Orthodox tended to be made to feel as though they weren't quite so Orthodox as the Greeks. I've spoken to other people who've had similar experiences so this is not an isolated experience, though in fairness I've known others who've never had this problem. Personally, I am glad that I did not convert in an all-convert parish (which in the UK I think can only be found amongst the Antiochians) but I'd have preferred that over an overly ethnic, almost phyletistic parish, as I found amongst the Greeks. My Romanian parish always managed to be much more welcoming to converts and enquirers. I certainly never saw any strange attitudes to non-Romanian Orthodox and I found the experiences and example of some of the cradle Orthodox around me invaluable

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

Obviously one that speaks your language.  I first inquired at a Greek parish.  Loved the priest and the few people I met, but so much of the service was in Greek.  After I visited an OCA parish, it was so great because I heard parts of the liturgy I had never heard before.

I spoke with another convert who left the RC church.  He actually preferred the Greek church because its supposedly a little more conservative and has fewer converts.  He didnt want to join a church with a ton of RC or protestant converts because he wanted to be sure that neither Catholicism or Protestantism didnt creep its way into Orthodoxy at all.  (not sure how that would happen. but thats what he said.)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: