OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer for Managing my Anger  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:29 AM »

This is a bit embarassing as it is the first time I'm coming out of the closet with it, but I highly struggle with managing my anger and I can be a loose cannon at times. It only grows worse over time; I get more and more angry until I reach a breaking point and then I go into rage mode where I have destructive bouts of anger and break things, harm myself, curse and swear, eat excessively, argue with everyone around me and sometimes even engage in physical violence, or come really close to it. I attempted suicide once when I was twelve in the bathroom with a belt but I was too squeemish so I did not follow through and I kept it a secret forever. In the present time, I think of suicide very often during my bouts of anger, after scratching myself or punching something so much that my knuckles bleed. I break down emotionally during my bouts of anger as well, I start crying excessively and strangely I find myself feeling all emotionally connected and caring for the very same people who I argued with, swore at and used physical violence against or came close to using physical violence against and I've been arrested on one occasion for violence. This can happen with almost anyone around me, but it is even worse with the people I care about (strangely). It could happen with a family member, friend, lousy store clerk or waiter etc. I also find myself real late at night crying excessively for no reason or feeling enraged. I worry that this is spiritually as well as physically harming for me and the people around me. I worry that I will drive my family away from me, especially my mother whom I love the most more than anything for some reason even though she drives me mad, hates my conversion and is responsible for a lot of internal anger inside of me. I also worry about hurting them or people around me, possibly killing someone or killing myself, or in the future becoming domestically abusive in relationships. The other night I read the story Hell House by Richard Matheson and I cried from it, this one lousy sci-fi story acted as a wakeup call for me. I want to be better. My biggest fear is becoming like my father. He was the same exact way that I was and I remember seeing/experiencing it growing up. I never learned how to properly deal with anger, so what am I supposed to do? I do not want to repeat the same evils that my parents have committed. I cannot control my rage once it comes; it makes me a madman. I've tried one meditation technique that I heard is supposed to work and surprisingly it worked amazingly, yet, when you are angry, it is hard to convince yourself to sit down and meditate on something. So I have not been using it as much as I should. I think that the biggest problem is that my anger is internal; deep down inside there is some dangerous source of anger that has been building up for years. Please pray for me.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:55:13 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Yes, I will remember you in my prayers. If you haven't done so already, print out your post and hand it to your priest for his counsel and prayers.
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

Lord, have mercy on Your servants, JamesR and his family, during this troubled time and at all times!
Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

St. John pray for us.

"The first step toward freedom from anger is to keep the lips silent when the heart is stirred; the next, to keep thoughts silent when the soul is upset; the last, to be totally calm when unclean winds are blowing."  St. John Climacus

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Countdown to Chrismations and Baptisms
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »

Lord have mercy!!

You know who is a great authority on dealing with anger? Mr. Rogers. I'm not even kidding either. I can't access youtube, but I'm sure you can find it.

Hang in there. I get angry at my current situation, but I am forever hopeful and optimistic. I get that from my family though.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Ive been there too, man.  Im embarrassed to admit but ive had to patch up holes in my walls before.  I shattered my windshield while driving bc I threw my phone one time.  I broke one of my guitars once.  I dont struggle with this anymore, so it can get better.  Mine seemed to start to go away when I began to get serious about my faith when I first found the Church.  (not saying you arent serious about yours... thats just what helped me.)

It really does take work learning how to deal with anger like that.  You have to learn how to manage it.  Bringing it up here is a great first step, but I would recommend telling someone you talk to on a regular basis about it.  Preferably someone you can really trust.  It can be embarrassing to talk about, but you certainly arent alone.  I wish I had better advice/a better formula to help you, but sometimes it takes time.  After you break enough expensive stuff like me, youll start start to realize that you HAVE to do something differently.  

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »

To add to my last post, mine sort of came from a bunch of unexpected financial complications I had to deal with a while back.  I dont want everyone to think I have always been an angry, violent, destructive person.  But I have certainly spent a decent amount of time dealing with these sorts of issues.  It sucks.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »

I have always struggled with anger. In my teen years I very nearly killed someone in a fight. I am not proud of it. I have started to manage the anger to the extent that I can control the outward aspects, but this often makes the anger transform into depression. My only advice is that there is a reason for your anger. You don't necessarily need to find everything out to the iota, but if you can locate the thorn that causes the irritation so to speak, and remove it you can often lessen the anger as a whole. Counseling can be very helpful. Prayer before the anger can help a great deal. I know that for me there is an undercurrent of simmering anger before explosions. If I can be self aware and catch it early I can prevent many of the ill side effects.

In any case, you have both my sympathies and my prayers.

Lord, have mercy!
greek_yogurt

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »

Lord, have mercy.You're not alone. Anger can be a struggle.
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

Lord have mercy! May God help you
You shouldn't feel embarrassed...realizing and admitting that you have a problem is the first step to finding a solution. Grin
Talking to your priest would be a very good idea. I don't know how close you are with your priest, but do you feel comfortable calling him or talking to him during the time you are angry. I would think it would help to have someone to listen to your frustration at that point and help calm you down by sharing the word of God.
Also have you thought about seeing a professional counselor? If your father had similar problem, there may be a genetic component to it.

Bitanya

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »

Lord have mercy!

James, being true to oneself is a great strength, AFAIAC. whatever ones purpose may be , a person who is true to himself/himself is capable of achieving it because he or she will see reality as it is and strategise accordingly.I think you did a marvelous thing when you sat down and thought deeply about  your behavior. it is also a sign of the inherent goodness of your character that you learnt from that book the importance of being kind,loving,gentle, at the same time how sinful-anger and its manifestations serve as breeding ground for evil.I believe that internal goodness is the lens of those who experience life in all its beauty and ugliness yet learn to be a better person,as a result and/or in-spite of it. while the same experience can leave others to increase in evil. a person can read many books and we can call him/her a well read person, yet what he or she has learnt from reading say.. hamlet might be , the role of poison, the different kinds of poison (the herbal and the ideological)how to perfect the art of poisoning in their persuit of power, the art of betrayal etc..all for themselves to emulate. while others who have read the same book might have learnt about love, suffering and its impact, kindness and loyalty, the negative impact of greed, envy, lust, etc... at the same time pragmatically realising the negative potential inherent in things and a moral building up of the person occurs because of the lens through which one sees the very same thing. you are a wonderful person, to realise that you must change and for the better by reading that book so take courage,what is internal in you is not darkness but goodness, and you are on the right track.

Christianity is not a costume we put on, on certain stages, and take off on  others. it must change us, and to our very core,because of that and rightfully so, it is there at the core of what we are that the intense battle rages.Battles have costs we must consider what those are by looking at ourself deeply and honestly as well as our enemy, so we can strategise . The Holy Spirit, uses all sorts of things to grab our attention from our slumber, and invite us to what will transfigure us if we are willing to pay the price: which the perfect tell us that its no price at all. take a time to meditate on this passage of the Scripture Luke 14:28-35.

May the Prayers of the Saints be with you! Get close to your spiritual father, listen to what he has to say and practice obedience, do acts of humility( genuine humility). Psychological help is wonderful to have to help you get to the bottom of things and get help in fixing them the best way for all involved.

May the Protection of the Mother of God be with you, and shelter you from what haunts all mankind. Amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
davdfoge

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »

Meditation can help you, Meditation is scientifically proven to rebuild the brain and make a stronger more cognitively and emotionally stable mind. Start meditating and see the results.

Beware of the fake weed products, read more.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Please seek help from someone in person. This could be your priest, a counselor, a peer, a support group, or an elder in person. Those who listen and doesn't talk too much are best.

My approach:

Remember that you are not the only one that experience these issues. You are not alone.

Do not expect instant success, but do celebrate signs of improvement.

Repeat the Jesus Prayer at times when you are not angry, sad, or emotional; but most importantly don't wait until you are out of control.

Be consistent with your prayer rule.

Lord have mercy!

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »

Lord have mercy

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: